Torrent or direct download for 0ad

GONdorman

+Torrents are faster ;)

I disagree.

There is no rule what is faster and what is not. Direct downloads rely on server, torrents on seeders.

I have here two torrents which are darn slow. Also, torrents have disadvantage, that you can end up at some percents and can't proceed further because the one who has remaining chunks is away.

I did hang up for pretty long time with torrent at 97%. I don't remember if I managed to get it eventually or gave up.

Well, thats a lot, my max speed (both for torrents and direct downloads) is of 30 kb/s. What is your bandwith, timaeus

That's slow. You want to get at least 40+ around 100 KB/S is good.

But who's his ISP? 3.5 MB/S is ridiculously fast, I don't know anyone anywhere with that kind of speed.

Plus we probably won't have many seeders to start with...

I was quite happy when I got 2.3MB/s on a torrent (around four years ago) ;). Don't think I've ever exceeded that, but I haven't really been trying :shrug:

If we can set up servers to provide direct downloads, we can mostly get the same servers to run as torrent seeds, so there shouldn't be any problems with a lack of seeding. (That's more an issue with, uh, less legitimate content, which relies on the goodwill of random individuals to keep seeding.)

(That's more an issue with, uh, less legitimate content, which relies on the goodwill of random individuals to keep seeding.)

No worries, RIAA has decided to stop suing: dead people, single moms, kids and others.

Now they try to slow your Internet service or cut it by emailing your ISP.

It will probably be both. The majority will probably start out as direct download, then as we grow it will move to torrents.

The game should be relatively small compared to some free-to-download games pushing 2-4 gigs these days.

Torrents are great, but first we have to get a user base built up, and without that, torrents are useless.