Ancient Mod

blablahead

Well, names shouldn't be too hard, as long as people can get their names on some Osprey books and some ancient language texts.

I'll definately enjoy planning and arguing over different ideas. In fact, I worked on a project back in HeavenGames Age of Empires III forums where a bunch of people laid out an idea for a game called "Age of Antiquity". It eventually lost interest, but there is a ton of information there. Here's the link: http://aoe3.heavengames.com/cgi-bin/forums...t&f=9,30443,,10

Is there lots of original Ages of Empires on that forum (Heaven Games)?

I'm registered on Age Community and ES is shutting down so all the good posters have left so I'm 2 almost 3 years older then everyone else who posts on that forum and plays the game. ;)

Edited by Silver

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

THis sounds like a good idea, though Assyrians/Babylonians/Hebrews will be a problem since they all owned each others territory (part of) in different stages of histroy, and the Babylonians are just technically an offshoot of Assyria anyway.

I might be wrong.

ah Prquel from 0.AD maybe call: Ancient B.C or 0 A. D : The Bronze Age.
  • Like 1

It was pretty easy actually to find a good amount of unit names for the Egyptians, but I don't think the others will be so easy.

For the others we could use modern equivalent languages, ie: for the Hebrews use Modern, or even classical Hebrew, and the Assyrians can be using classical or modern Aramaic. Babylonians are a slight issue though-- maybe Iraqi Arabic would work? I don't think many people speak Akkadian anymore... :)

For the others we could use modern equivalent languages, ie: for the Hebrews use Modern, or even classical Hebrew, and the Assyrians can be using classical or modern Aramaic. Babylonians are a slight issue though-- maybe Iraqi Arabic would work? I don't think many people speak Akkadian anymore... :)

we can search if are enough words for the game

Arabic is quite different. It would be better off making strange sounds until something is found. Iraqi Arabic does have some things that are unique to it, but I wouldn't think you could pass it off as Babylonian. Assyrian / Ashuri is much closer. There are "Caldi" Caldeans, (that also live in Irbil, though I think their language and the Assyrians are the same now. Alternate spelling (Chaldean).

Arabic is quite different. It would be better off making strange sounds until something is found. Iraqi Arabic does have some things that are unique to it, but I wouldn't think you could pass it off as Babylonian. Assyrian / Ashuri is much closer. There are "Caldi" Caldeans, (that also live in Irbil, though I think their language and the Assyrians are the same now. Alternate spelling (Chaldean).

It is, but there are not many Chaldeans still around-- maybe we could use this instead and pronounce it like we would arabic: http://www.premiumwanadoo.com/cuneiform.languages/dictionary/index_en.php

I did some research, the nations that are feasible during the New Kingdom period of Egypt are:

Assyrians

Myceneans

New Kingdom Egyptians (Obviously)

Hittites

Babylonians

Mixed Central Europeans (e.g. Lusatians, Nuragic, etc.)

If we also include Asian Civs, there is

Shang China

Harappans

Gojoseon Korea

The Asian Civs might be a sort of "Part 2" for the mod, I don't know. Anyway, take your pick and let's get mining.