New Game idea

H.Balck

Interesting idea. I have a few questions and suggestions.

With that large numer of troops, have you got any way to make it possible for the player to have an overview of all the troops and control them?

Have you tried looking for people on GameDev.net? I'm sure you reach more people there than here on the Wildfire Games forums ;)

And I'm just a bit curious as to how more units would make a game more suited for grown-ups? :shrug:

Inded beatyfull art!, 2D games make feel nostalgic.

What do you mean by commercial artist, because Im looking to work on a project to get experience, and Im focus on RTS games, check some of my work:

screen211.jpg

screen198.jpg

showcasespartanhoplite.jpg

I work on 3DS max. The units on the screens are all mine, I can do textures, but my speciallity is 3D modelling and animation. If you are interested contatc me at thegodemperorleto@gmail.com

Hallo feneur

Thanks for your quick answer.

With that large numer of troops, have you got any way to make it possible for the player to have an overview of all the troops and control them?

The idea is to control troops over the historical organisation. Example: The smallest unit by the romans is an centurii (60 republ. to 80 men later). You can control also the full manipulus (120 to 160 men) and later the full cohortes (Cohors legionis or Auxilia). The next idea is, that you can control also an full legion. In the battle of Cannae you have 4 urban legions and 4 latin legions. The idea is, to click on an officer (centurio or primus pilus, legatus etc, to command an full unit.

Hallo Hiram

Looks good - many works. I think, I dont like 3D graphics, this looks a little bit like Playmobil - I like 2D graphics with an global format with thousend of units.

H.Balck

Edited by H.Balck

Im aware of the diference. However those sprites that you show are taken from a 3D animation correct?, so in that way I could still be helpfull.

Do you have a site?, so I can see more of your game, and perhaps give you a example more similar to what you are doing.

The idea is to control troops over the historical organisation. Example: The smallest unit by the romans is an centurii (60 republ. to 80 men later). You can control also the full manipulus (120 to 160 men) and later the full cohortes (Cohors legionis or Auxilia). The next idea is, that you can control also an full legion. In the battle of Cannae you have 4 urban legions and 4 latin legions. The idea is, to click on an officer (centurio or primus pilus, legatus etc, to command an full unit.

Ok, sounds good ;) Seems like you know what you're doing. :shrug:

I must say that it is great. ;)

Few details I spotted, West Europeans didn't use composite recurved bow AFAIK. And strings on bows and xbows should be straight, not curved.

Also, Later Equites IMHO didn't use this kind of helmet. These were probably used by Macedonians.

But other than that, it is great.

How was it done? In 3D modeler and then rendered?

Edited by Belisarivs

Hallo Belisarius

Also, Later Equites IMHO didn't use this kind of helmet. These were probably used by Macedonians.

The later republicanian Equites use the böotian helmet typ, in addition the montefortino, the etrusco-corinthian and also the pilos type helmet.

15.jpg

H.Balck

Edited by H.Balck

How on Earth can ONE person churn out so many units? If you were on the 0 AD team, it would probably be on its third major update of part II by now (No offense intended towards the 0 AD team). Anyways, how are you gonna organise the eras each of these factions are from? Is it gonna be Empire Earth style, or have various "sub-games" like 0 AD (Part I and II)? Are you gonna release this for free (*pleads*) on the internet?

EDIT: Have you done any other sort of stuff yet? (eg. siege weapons, ships, buildings). If so, could you give us a peek?

EDIT2: Just noticed that the first animation in the topic post throws a pilum AND fights with a sword. Good on ya!

Edited by MrBlack103

Cool units ;)

They are in .pcx format like CIV3 units, I recon? Some of them look like units from Civ Fanatics. Love that site (y)

EDIT: Aha! Sandris is from CivFanatics! Now I understand why they looked so familiar! What will the game be named, H.Balck?

Edited by GONdorman

Well, I know that simply soldiers, who came to conquer New World were called Conquerors - Conquistadors.

That is why I have said "perhaps also".

Mostly I recall them as those depicted in AoK.

It can be same to word "Knight". Knight can fight on foot with fellow companions side by side, knight doesn't have to fight at all (as today are people still knighted), but generally, when you imagine knight, it is heavy cavalryman.

Same to Conquistador. Not every man could have horse, but ideally, he would have one. And also, he would have some pistol, too.

BTW: Sorry for OT, but why are Hastati called so when Hasta was used by Triarii?

Edited by Belisarivs

• 2 weeks later...