Most Hardcore Groups in History

Cassador_Chris

Okay, well, I was going to do a article for the mere pleasure of it and send it to people that I think would find it funny. The premise of the article to begin with is silly, and meant to both enlighten and entertain. Facts and fun; history is just too doggone hilarious at times. :shrug:

Anyway, I was thinking of a "Top Ten" list or perhaps a "Top Twenty". I've got several groups in mind, and although they tend to be armed and dangerous groups, they don't have to be warriors. There is certainly no small pool of non-military organizations in history that are completely hardcore. And I use hardcore cause I can't remember the rules on this forum. Otherwise, I would have used "Bad@#$%".

Okay, time for some submissions, and try to convince me to put your favorite group of homicidal maniacs on the Most Hardcore list.

;)

Oh, and remember: Don't be afraid to be a little offensive in choice of groups. 9/11 hijackers anyone? Waffen SS? Lets just be fair. This isn't a "coolest" list or "best" list or anything of the sort.

Soldiery itself is hardcore.

Imagine yourself in position of Hoplite in first line who knows that fellow behind him is waiting for his death so he can replace him.

Same with modern warfare. Imagine average expected length of existence of tank (and so his crew) or any other field weapon.

Also, being Russian soldier in WW2 was really hardcore.

"Didn't you get weapon? Rob nearest corpse." It wasn't applied through whole war, but hardcore anyway?

But 1 killed German on 9 killed Russians says everything.

Well, yes, soldiers are generally hardcore. But they're a big group.

I myself was thinking the Norse Berserkers, the Syrian Hashinshashin, the Iberian Almogavars, and the Hussite revolutionaries, at least for medieval contenders.

Spartans should generally be on the list, as should one of the Japanese warrior groups--Samurai, Ninja, or Sohei/Warrior Monks.

More modern day, hardcore groups should definately include the Red Army. Some Nazi-esque groups would be pretty hardcore as well, particularly the famous SS. And don't forget the Japanese kamikaze fighters, Vietcong, and a little farther back--the Moros and Zulu. (I mean, machetes/spears against WWI-esque forces? God awesome.

And I wanted to include Buddhist monks somewhere on this list. While most of them were never fighters, they were most certainly one of the most hardcore groups in history. I mean, just read about some of the things they did! Makes me feel like a child, actually.

Even perhaps a criminal group or two. Not individual persons though. Maybe the Mafia? Haven't read much about them, but I heard they were pretty hardcore.

You don't even have to stop there! I've heard the Aztec ball players had their lives riding on every game! Heh, not to leave out the Gladiators...

;)

Heh :shrug: , With such a long and diverse history, its hard to narrow the list down! I guess we should include some sort of criteria?

For the Modern German/Nazi one I'd say either the SA (Sturm Armbeilung, The Original Nazi Troops) or the Freikorps (Free Corps, think untrained volunteer).

The SA where hardcore as they fought in Hitlers first campaign of conquest (the Beer Hall Putsch, wikipedia it, which failed). Rohm, the leader of the SA was one of Hitlers highest ranking members. Ultimately this did nothing to prevent their demise, during the Night of Long Daggers (German Translation sought here) the Important SA members/people Politically opposed to the NSDAP/Jews were killed.

The Freikorps are the larger banner of which the SA fall under. They originated in the Prussian army to do menial/suicidal tasks. Under-trained/paid, these people where generally looked down upon by the Prussian Army. After the treaty of Versailles (which wanted the Prussian Army smaller, and the Freikorps disbanded) they rebelled, taking power for a little while until those loyal to the Wiemar Republik (basically everyone) forced them to back down.

Philippine Rebels, who fought a much more sophisticated enemy (enemies) with little or no outside help, marginal/low levels of combat experience. We won't go into whether or not they caused independence on the isles...

Also the Choco's (Chocolate Soldiers). These guys were the Australian Soldiers who held their nerve during the Japanese on the Kokoda Trail in Papua New Guinea. They were simply expected to melt in the fires of war (with the Jap's throwing line upon line upon line of soldiers at them), hence the nickname.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hmmmmmm the most hardcore group? well id hate to choose only one but out of three i got i will choose the one that has not been mencioned: Hittita empire cause of there defensive cities and formidable force i mean seriusly have you seen hattusha, hell im thinking that it is probably the most fortified strategicly placed city(militarily) in history, they were estrict with rules of solidarity and protection and the only thing that took them down even when surounded by other 3 empires(Egypt in its prime, assyrian empire and babilons) was a civil war when there code of brotherhood was broken by the king and his brother.

• 1 month later...