Industrial mod

vonbrune

Agreed.

I like the time frame, but what about civs?

Important European ones are standard, but I'd like to see the Zulu, Sioux, Turks, Arab/Tuareg, India, China/Korea, perhaps Japan and Mexico/Latin America as well. Either these could be mercenary soldiers, their own civilization, or a even a "mini" civilization that isn't balanced with the main-stream civs. That way, they're more of a challenge to play and win with.

Though, since we're working with five civs, I suppose Britain, France, Germany(Prussia/Austria), Russia, and the United (but divided) States.

I'm sorry I haven't checked the forums in a while. Currently I'm almost done making a scenario in age of empires 3. I will do all of this in blender and gimp and if anyone wants to help me model or texture you are welcome. I will build an ironclad first and so on. Nations will probably be: England, France, USA, Mayan, Spain, Aztec, Turks, German, Pirates (maybe), and Chinese.

Inform me if you want a nation.

If you want me to add other Indian nations such as Lakota I'll probably make a union of indian nations UIN because the Indians did team up at one point. Post your ideas please.

Personally I'd rather see a WW1 mod, besides the time-frame you are discussing (Colonial) has already been discussed.

The 1800s aren't exactly "colonial age", but if you want to be specific, Europe had colonies up to 1974 (cough* not counting the Falkland islands, etc, etc, or i.e. "strategic military bases")

If you go that route, the colonial age would start with Phoenician and Greek times and last to 1974 (cough* 2008).

That argument out the window, I actually have a book about the 1800s, that focuses on the major conflicts of that time: The Civil War, The Unification of Germany, and the Crimean War. This era was defined from earlier periods for the affect industrialization had on society and war. We start seeing much better guns, rapid-fire weapons, armored ships, chemical warfare, trenches (in Civil War), submarines, and other things...

Furthermore, although Europe expanded its colonies greatly during this time, colonies had long lost any economic value. In fact, they were such a drain on the empire's money bags that politicians had to change the argument to 'educating savages' and other goodwill missions. They simply couldn't argue that colonies really benefited the empire economically.

Industrial age was the very end of Napoleonic wars and the beginning of automatic weapons. So the game will start out with old gunpowder based weapons and end with machine guns, destroyers, etc... I might even add the atom bomb just for fun but that was after Industrial.

Forget the Mayan and Aztecs.

• 1 month later...

I don't know, this is bringing up an older topic buuuuut.....

Forget the Mayan and Aztecs.

...and replace them with Mexicooooooo!

I dunno, but after I took a Mexican history class last summer, I have been so much more appreciative of our neighbor to the south. Anyway, I did this report, and I just have to say....

Rrrrrrrurales!

Alright, I'm feeling kinda goofy just at the moment. Just give me a chance to get over this and I'll make more sense in a jiffy!

Hi ho Silver! Ha-Way!

Im currently planing a Mexican Indepence/Revolution Mod for AOM. The Indepence War would be in the same period like a Napoleonic era, and the Revolution starts on 1910 and goes all the way until 1930's. Several important battles happen on those periods and also important characters of the mexican history participate, my favorites being Jose Maria Morelos, Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata.

Since Im working over new models, If Michael finally accepts me on Wildfire i could make this mod over the 0AD game engine. Lots of persons in México would apreciate, and probably it can even be a educational tool.

• 2 weeks later...

Lets not get off the subject! ;)

First of all Mexico should be always included but the question is whether or not to include Spain too? Since they are very similar, I'll try to incorporate the same rules for both of them (cultures mainly.) Once I have gotten some ideas on the differences i.e. Mexico has a good food gather rate and Spain creates ships faster. Only time will tell.

By the way Age of Empires III doesn't follow any principles of Age of Empires II and I find it a little weird but an OK game.

Well, Spain lost a lot of its military importance following the Napoleonic Wars. But they should be included, especially for their fighting during the Spanish civil war during the 30s. I wouldn't mark them as the same as Mexico though. There would be important differences, such as the Rurales rural police force or the comancheros. Mexico would have a less formal, more mobile force than Spain would. Although both should be fairly adapt at Guerrilla style warfare.

If it comes between the two though, I would go with Mexico. It was a rising power in this period, after all. Spain had its day during the 1500s, 1600s, and 1700s.

• 3 weeks later...

Good point Cassador_Chris, limiting the amount of factions in a game or mod balances it out much more and it would take less time to create. Thus I am trying to figure out which nation has stronger more expensive units or weaker units or better navy. I'm still waiting for more information on the game. If there is a beta later I would like to see the way the game functions aka resource management and military management plus different meshes that the game might support (I don't really want to spend 1000 dollars when I could use blender.) I'm guessing gimp will also be usable for textures. It might be really difficult to turn a game which functions on both archers and pikes (other sword units too) into a full archer based game. I hope all of you agree that turning horsemen into tanks is rightfully what had happened back then and don't all go WOW the horsemen just got metal or something like that. Ships turn from wood to metal too you know. As history progresses weapons turn from weak to strong.

• 2 weeks later...