Multiple Soldiers in "One Unit"

GPNM

I was wondering, how are you guys handling the unit management?

Are you going for the AOE/AOK style 1 soldier/unit or the RON style several soldiers in one unit?

I personally prefer the latter...much more realistic in my opinion.

I've never seen, in any military, a single person (without a group with them) go out on their own to fight.

The army is made up of many units, which in turn are made up of multiple soldiers. That's the "invisible rope" if you want to call it that.

But in military there is no pop limit at ~200.

It does make sense in Cossacks ot Total Wart games, but not in AoK type games.

You'll have to select your units by selection box or double click anyway.

And does it make difference sending somewhere 3 men instead of one? Either they are scouting, or will be soon killed anyway.

I tried RoN. Not bad game, but I've seen no advantage in more men in one squad. However it was its paper-rock-scissors style, which crippled it.

I think it makes perfect sense in AOK type games.

Rise of Nations was far from crippled...it was very revolutionary and did many things that AOK didn't do, and that AOE III should have done.

In any case, I won't be too let down if they don't add it in.

I didn't spot anything revolutionary in RoN except Parthian tactics skill for horse archers.

I didn't write it right, RoN wasn't crippled, but papper-rock-scissors system sucked badly.

Also, its time frame was too long and therefore not all periods were covered appropriatelly.

I've found ridiculous for Aztecs to have Knights and Germans having Tiger (which looked like T-55) at the beginning of WWII (in tutorial) to name just few errors.

AoK wasn't perfect, but I enjoyed it far more than RoN.

You mean BfME I or II.

These are far from AoK style and I am not sure if 0AD engine could handle so large numbers of units when it is planned for ~1 GHz CPUs.

I mean, it most probably could handle such numbers of units, but 1 GHz CPU couldn't.

I'll say right now that the min requirements will probably end up being more than 1 GHz processor.

• 2 weeks later...

The AOK micromanagement system is almost the only thing makes it similar to a shot-em-up game. The "s" of RTS is that "strategy" that would be more or less the opposite of "take 2 knights and throw them against that single archer", and making many similar action much faster then your opponent.

RON was wonderful in that, but i think 3-in-one units aren't the best of RON. At least, ally-neutral-enemy territories may be something good, or capturing the cities instead of destroying them.

I agree that that "rock/paper/scissor" method was the worst thing in RON

• 2 years later...