Carnyx

Cassador_Chris

Hey everyone! Just have a little thing I found over the internet that I wanted to share with the game developers.

When you guys get into designing sounds for the Celts, if you haven't already, visit this little url: http://www.carnyxscotland.co.uk/audio/voice.htm

That's a reproduction of the carnyx, one of my favorite ancient instruments.

Oh, and I know you guys have a lot of it developed, but I do believe a carnyx unit would be awesome. I'm not sure exactly how combat will play out and what factors into combat, but carnyx units could cause fear in the enemy ranks (force formations to break) or strengthen allies nearby. Numerous possibilities. At the very least, you could have it as a bonus unit available through the editor!

As Always,

EDIT: oh, I keep finding more!

okay, hope you enjoy!

Edited by Cassador_Chris

A beautiful instrument and a great suggestion! I've been working on a "warhorn" sound that is very very very similar to the Carnyx.

I don't know to what extent it will be used, or even if it will be the game. Perhaps if used, in the longer run it could actually have gameplay features like you suggested.

Never the less thanks for the suggestion, this is a big possibility and thank you as well for the sound references!

/sleep

The carnyx was at one point going to be incorporated into the game as a morale unit.

There were two classes, standard bearers and noise makers. This unit would have fit in the later. Noise makers had a negative effect of morale on enemy units. Standard bearer's a positive. There was some gameplay features regarding how they would integrate within formations, but due to the complexity they were cut from the game. However, they may return in Part II.