0AD part II ideas

Justinian

I like the Dacians, Huns and the Parthians, but I still say it would be easier (and more realistic) to give both the Germanics and the Romans different options for levelling up.

The Germanics would have a different choice at every turn:

• Sarmatians
  • Frisians
  • Saxons
  • Angles
  • Nordics
  • etc. etc.

wheras the Romans only need:

• Pax Romana
  • Eastern Romans
  • Western Romans

But that is the last I will (for your sake) say on the matter.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This looks so much more like a list for a Bronze Age mod.

Part 2 is based from AD1 to AD500. Also, try narrowing your field here as so far 0AD comprises of mostly European Races/Tribes.

0AD pt.II is the Romanized version and they've heavily hinted (if not declared) that there will be TWO Roman Factions

A better list would be:

• Western Romanii
  • Eastern Rhomiaon
  • Goths (if its Ostro or Visi, who cares)
  • Saxons (Sachsens)
  • Frisians
  • ?Berber Tribes?
  • And other notable "barbarorum"

Oops, almost forgot the Angles.

I like it, but why waste time with all the Germanic groups? They are probably going to make the Germans a civilisation anyway. Also, I think Carthage may have been a Berber state. I mean look at the location. Just my opinion however.

Edited by Fionn

Take this with a grain of salt, because I am a developer, but (!!!!) if I had my way (!!!) the faction list would look like this...

• Imperial Romans - "Western" Romans during the 1st and 2nd centuries. These are the Pax Pomana Romans, from Augustus to Marcus Aurelius.
  • Eastern Romans - "Late" and "Early Byzantines"-style Romans of the late empire. Lots of chain mail. Round shields. Long swords. Medieval looking.
  • Dacians - A Thracian-style faction with Germanic and Sarmatian infuences. Had 3 important wars against Roman, finally succumbing to the Romans under Trajan.
  • Huns - Nomadic, buildings are either mobile (like the Norse "resource cart" from AOM) or can pack up and move (like the "trebuchet" from Age of Kings). They also gain a lot from looting. Highly mobile and cavalry-based.
  • Parthians - Part 2's desert faction. Cavalry based. Lots of raiding. Lots of archery.
  • Germanics - They'll have many sub-factions to choose from. Ostrogoths, Visigoths, etc.

Hm I like this. I'm not too crazy on having another Iranian faction though. Also, I can't make my mind up on Byzantium. I do not know much about the Dacians but from what I have read they sound good enough to put in the game. At least we can agree on the Germans (infantry?) and the Huns.

Edited by Fionn

I like the idea of all the germanics being sub-factions :banana:

The Germans played a key role during the second half of Rome's existence. All those raiders would be rolling in their graves if they heard you! :lol:

Edited by Fionn

Maybe you don't know how we are using "sub-factions" in this game. Imagine the game "Age of Mythology." You know how you get a choice of a "minor god" when you advance an age? Well, in 0 A.D., when you play a cartain faction and advance to the last city phase you get a choice between sub-factions. Each sub-faction has different heroes, super units, ans special technologies. So, for instance, the Celts: You have the standard Celtic units available until the City Phase, where you are then allowed to choose between Brtions or Gauls sub-factions (each with different Super Units, Heroes, and Special Techs).

Maybe you don't know how we are using "sub-factions" in this game. Imagine the game "Age of Mythology." You know how you get a choice of a "minor god" when you advance an age? Well, in 0 A.D., when you play a cartain faction and advance to the last city phase you get a choice between sub-factions. Each sub-faction has different heroes, super units, ans special technologies. So, for instance, the Celts: You have the standard Celtic units available until the City Phase, where you are then allowed to choose between Brtions or Gauls sub-factions (each with different Super Units, Heroes, and Special Techs).

Are you talking to me or Fionn here? Either way, I understood this concept. Just like the Gauls and Hellenes in Pt I, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Parthian sub factions could be different family dynasties, like the Surens, Mihrans, and Karens, to reflect the feudal nature of the empire. Each could have special units and bonuses based off of the region they historically held power in.

Surens = Saka light cavalry, Kushan Infantry, Gondophares as a hero.

Mihrans = Strong Daylamite infantry, Bahram Chobin as a hero

Karens = defensive bonuses, Hunnic and Median units

Sassanids (might as well throw them in as a possiblity) = Strong priests and heavy cavalry, Kartir and Khosrow as heroes

You know how I mentioned Scythians before? Well I never really thought into the Sarmatians as Scythians. Hahaha looks like I will get my way anyway (if Scipii_Alemanus has his way)! : P

Sorry if this is off topic, but can you choose your/the computer's subfaction before the match begins? Thanks.

Edited by Fionn

Would the Germanic subfactions include all the main barbaric forces? By "main barbaric forces", I mean

- Sueves

- Franks

- Angles

- Saxons

- Burgundians

- Visigoths

- Ostrogoths

About the Huns, I seem to remember having read somewhere that there is confusion between East European Huns and Asian Huns, being the latter nomadic and the former not. Even if EEHuns were nomadic, they eventually settled somewhere in Hungary, so mountable and dismountable buildings are probably a better option (rather than mobile buildings).

Or, alternatively, they could have mobile buildings that could be dismounted somewhere whenever the player wished, but once dismounted could no longer be mounted.

Edited by Undo