Pop

Apomonomenos

Well, I believe I've said it before, but I might be wrong. The exact number is not decided, as that is dependent on a lot of things (computer resources available, balance, etc) but I'd be surprised if no one will make a mod which allows unlimited population. For now I'd suggest expecting something around 200 though, it's better to be happily surprised than negatively (y)

(And there's a reason why that showcase didn't say anything about pop cap etc, we haven't really decided yet after all :) There's a reason why testing is one of the major parts of game development :D )

feneur pretty much said it all, it comes down to your system. I imagine there will be some mod that someone will make in vb6 or something to allow easy change of population.

But you have to keep in mind that if you have an older system, eg: made in 2000, it possibly won't handle a load of more than 200 units. Newer systems can handle more, because either their processors are faster, or the Motherboard has more than one processor installed in it (dual core/quad core).

For example: My system, in AoEIII, can handle 400+ units (infinite pop mod rules!), but that's because I'm sitting here with a 3.0ghz, and a top of the line graphics card.

My older computer, which was a 1.2ghz, with a decent graphics card, couldn't even run the game.

If I confused anyone there, just let me know and I'll try to make it simpler

IMHO processor doesn't matter as much. It is grpahic card which does most work.

Yes, processor does have to pull all those textures to gk memory, calculate wireframes and so, but gk does texturing and accelerates most things (try to play some game on max quality with sw rendering and then test hw rendering, you'll see difference).

Also, one notice for those unfortunate who use Windows and drivers for their gk provided by MS. You must install drivers provided by your gk vendor. It is because MS does many nasty things to destroy OpenGL (which 0AD uses) and one of them is ripping off OpenGL support from drivers it provides

In our school we had to use sw rendering because of this in some simulation program. So be prepared as it can be nasty surprise.

Edited by Belisarivs

@ Belisarivs: You mean Intel and their seriously **** GPU's.

Nope. That one in the school was Radeon.

Intel GPUs are great. Can't match Nvidia or Ati, but provide enough power for playing decent games and accelerate Compiz Fusion pretty well.

Edited by Belisarivs

@ Scipii_Alemanus - to see your processor speed, go to the control panel then system. on the bottem u see ur cpu speed and i'm pretty sure ur computer can run this game.

it depents on the details of the figures how much u can play. but i think 200 population will do.

Also, one notice for those unfortunate who use Windows and drivers for their gk provided by MS. You must install drivers provided by your gk vendor. It is because MS does many nasty things to destroy OpenGL (which 0AD uses) and one of them is ripping off OpenGL support from drivers it provides

That's why you never use M$ drivers :banana:

Anyway, sorry for off topic comment here. I imagine population will be easily editable in some distinct way. Then again, my definition of easy is opening a file, changing one value, and it all works, but with a game, well....I dunno lol, one value can end up screwing the whole thing...(did it on a WoW private server i was working on....had to reset and restart from scratch...)

I abhorred the pop cap in AoM. Not being able to field as many men as I had in AoE II was just . . . not right. I seriously don't mind having an extraordinarii taking up 2-3 population--it makes you build houses and whatnot; forces you to expand your empire's boundaries--but the cap was horrible. My two . . . no, three, cents. :banana:

^^Thats a good explanation. I never quite understood why all units in aom cost 2 population or more except for villagers. That was annoying. But I think pop cap is a must. If you could set a higher pop cap in game (ie so online play would work say you could have 100, 200, 300, 400, 500 pop as an option you set at the start of the game) then that would be cool. Also, this was mentioned in the topic earlier and it is off topic but I dont want to make a whole new post for it. I only have a 2.08 GHz processor. Will 0ad work? Also, is there a requirements topic or something that tells you what you need? Thanks.