Roman formations

NOXAS1

Part One would only deal with the "early" legions, while Part Two would have the classic "Augustan" legions. It is the latter that mastered the testudo formation.

The legionary of the late Republic would have worn a montefortino helmet and ring-mail armour while carrying an oval shield, like so:

SL0001.jpg

The segmented cuirass armour was not commonly employed before 10AD. Same goes for the rectangular shield. Also, it is probable that the gladius sword, even until Caesar's day, was somewhat longer then that of the Imperial era.

Edited by Caesar

Correct. :) Also, the Marian Legionnaire you have pictured there is outside the timeline of the Romans even for Part 1, as we are depicting the Romans as they were for the 2nd Punic War - the Camillian Legions. :lol:

I see. Of course, or at least this is my understanding of history, the military reforms under Camillus and Marius focused on the organization of the army, while the equipment changes took place gradually over time. I believe even in the Imperial era the distinctions of hastati, principes and triari remained, if only honorary (denoting the length of service or something like that) rather then separate units.

So the civil war under Sulla and the conquests of Caesar will be put off until Part two?

No. If we include Sulla, Caesar, and the Marian Reform they'll come in a 1.5 patch or something of that nature. There are plans for post-release patches including additional content to hold people over until Part 2 is released, but nothing definite. :) Part 2 will have Pax Romana legions, with Lorica Segmentata armour.