Cheats?

Apomonomenos

Would still be a "standard cheat". What about a little review of some cool old games? Since the 0 A.D. team includes them, they should set the priorities. Here just some ideas:

.. some lost units that suddenly appear again in 0 A.D. !

means as well cheat units as normal units from other games - you remember these two neat fighters from AoE1 in NBC suits (was "Photon man" and "e=mc2 trooper" I think)? Lemme brainstorm some games, Command & Conquer, Diablo II, Zelda, War & StarCraft and of course AoE1-3! .. You can probably think of more or better ones, should just be an impulse =)

.. mythological units (á la AoM, grecian and egyptian mythology ftw! :)), non-civ heroes from history (dunno which you already have and which not..)

.. fictional characters from books or movies (StarWars, ow .. there're a lot of possibilities :lol:)

.. objects that randomly appear on the map (like an artefact [AoE1] or relic [AoE2], Tiberium fields ;) etc.)

I'd also vote for units that do more than just look cool or have an unique attack style. Units or objects that produce anything (tickle) or are able to produce (training via costs) would be quite interesting, especially if the normal 0 A.D. units are not just fighting against superheroes, but also against/with units that are just similar or also worse than they are [muhaha, weak zombie hordes!].

I spotted one thing.

I was playing AoE and AoK almost since release, but always when I was cheating, it became boring.

Do you really find it necesary to screw game by unfair playing or by using weird units like e=mc2 trooper?

When I win game by cunning tactics, I feel satisfied and somewhat proud. I prefer to be beaten than resort to cheating as it brigs me no pleasure.

I was playing AoE and AoK almost since release, but always when I was cheating, it became boring.

Don't cheat, then. Perhaps if people lack self-discipline there can be an option at the start of a game that allows you to cheat or not.

Do you really find it necesary to screw game by unfair playing or by using weird units like e=mc2 trooper?

Yes.

When I win game by cunning tactics, I feel satisfied and somewhat proud. I prefer to be beaten than resort to cheating as it brigs me no pleasure.

Well, when it is guaranteed that you're going to lose, class yourself as a loser mentally, then have some fun with the opposition. I do agree that cheating cannot bring satisfaction with a win, but it is fun. :)

That's why I said that cheat units should not just be considered as OP units, but also as more or less fair opponents. They'd just make the theme of the game a bit unreal, but just for a time since they're just cheat units.

Hm yeah, copyright, well - you wouldn't pretend it's yours right? And you'd have designed them on your own, so it's on the one hand enough work made by yourself and on the other hand you don't steel any property. You just immitate it, give it a different role under a totally different aspect. It'd be against the copyright if you'd make it exactly like in the other game or when you pretend it's yours.

@ Mr Black

Tolkein no, and under that premise is why TLA is allowed to exist. Something like star wars or pikachu or maybe even the flying purple hippo wouldn't be allowed.

Unless we drastically change the way they are called and one small detail about then, muhuhua :)

But overall I think we can be much more creative than that...for sure more than just some of these ideas of borrowing ideas from other sources and making them into units.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an idea maybe a giant (you can just see big feet that squish the opposing team) or wizard (that shots lightning out of his hands) or some units from other rts like Starcraft "Zealot, Zergling, SCV, or Marine" or some Warcraft units.....

I loved the Starwars idea......heh heh....DARTH VADER!

Thought this would be cool.

Edited by The Pfeiffenator

I have an idea maybe a giant (you can just see big feet that squish the opposing team) or wizard (that shots lightning out of his hands) or some units from other rts like Starcraft "Zealot, Zergling, SCV, or Marine" or some Warcraft units.....

I loved the Starwars idea......heh heh....DARTH VADER!

Thought this would be cool.

They are trying not to do these as there are certain copyright infringment issues which do need to be avoided.