Questions about Editor

Ltap

First of all, hi. Before a couple of days ago I knew nothing about 0 AD. I got here through the signature of a member of AoE3 Heaven and I've become extremely interested in the project. In one of the threads someone talked about scenario design. I am a reasonably experienced scenario and map designer and I've made scenarios for Age of Empires II, Age of Empires III, and Age of Mythology. Before I stopped playing AoE III, I collaborated with a scenario designer named Botolf on a historically accurate War of 1812 campaign that was never finished.

I'd like to ask, though, what is the editor for 0 AD like? Is it just a simple program to place objects and units, or is it more complex with triggers and cinematics like AoE 3? I might consider working on campaigns and designing scenarios (unfortunately, I'm no artist and I know nothing about programming :P ). I'd only have an hour or two to do it each day, but by the sound of it you people don't have much time either.

One thing I'd like to suggest to try and get people to regain interest in 0 AD would be something like Runescape's "development diaries". It's essentially a page that talks about what happened and the decisions involved with developing a certain feature of the game. I think it would make people more interested and would at least make them feel like there is some progress going on.

it's good to know. 0 AD sounds more like my kind of RTS. You sound like some people who design mods and scenarios for Civilization, and you obviously take care with historical accuracy. I also like how you focus on 1 period of time and how obviously separate the different civs are. One issue I always had with AoE 2 was how every civ started out the same in the first age and only diversified later, with most countries only able to use their unique units in the last 1/4 of the game at the most, and also how every soldier was identical. If the game is as good as the screenshots show (great graphics, not every soldier of the same type looks identical), I'll enjoy it a lot and I'm willing to do anything I can (which isn't much, I'm afraid) to help in its development.

One other question - I'm assuming it has AI, because people have talked about single-player campaigns, but how advanced will it be?

EDIT: Also, I apologize, I didn't notice the section of the main site called "Team Diaries".

Edited by Ltap

• 2 weeks later...

About the editor, are you guys moddeling it after any previous editor? If so I think the Empire Earth editor was probably the best I've ever used because it was so powerful and that it was very user-friendly and logically laid out.

So what can we expect for the editor in this game?

• 4 weeks later...

It will be. The editor is written with wxWidgets - it currently works on Windows and Linux, and should be made to work on OS X too. We didn't want to use Qt since the non-expensive version is GPL, which would require the whole of the editor and game code to be GPL-compatible too, and we didn't want that restriction. Also, Qt4 wasn't released when we started development, so it would have been Qt3; and I think wx works alright anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...

Was 12 then, 19 now :) Helps to look at someone else's map, to see their triggers - I finally had the curiosity one day, tried a few triggers to see if I've got the idea right, and thats basically all it took. Without triggers, or more specifically, scripting, the world is lifeless.

I am pretty experienced with EE's editor and i must say, there is a couple of things that i found extremely annoying.

-water is elevation and no terrain

-there are no "real" cliffs like cliff-lr-4.jpg

-water is static

-performance issues(lag) when looping more triggers

-unfavorable listing of conditions and effects when creating more complex triggers

-no way of creating a trigger system that says:"I number of unit A increases by X , THEN increase variable B by Y" :)

-lack of eye candy objects

Well, our water isn't static and we don't plan on having triggers lag when looped. We'll be sure to include an abundance of eye candy objects, but don't forget that this game was made by modders for modders, allowing anyone to create additional eye candy mods for the editor.

• 3 weeks later...