Jump to content

A new git-based development environment


Recommended Posts

Hi @Itms, thank you for your effort to migrate to Git(ea).

I had a discussion on Mastodon about the switch and wanted to bring Forgejo to your attention. It's a fork of Gitea maintained by a non-profit rather than a for-profit corporation.

Switching over should be pretty easy as both projects are still very close. Maybe it's work a try.

Cheers, plusmid

Edited by plusmid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hello @plusmid! I know about Forgejo. It's a great project and you're right to promote it.

Basically we want to use and support open-source software, but we'd also like to use widely-used, even if it's commercial, software in order to save energy in maintaining our tools. A lot of members of the community have been advocating for using Github, which everyone uses, and which is "too big to fail". Obviously we're reluctant to use Github/Microsoft closed software, but maybe we'll end up there anyway if it proves too difficult to self-host a forge. Gitlab is too heavy for us to self-host, Gitlab.com is another alternative possibility for the future.

I think Gitea is a very good middle-ground, both open-source, self-hosted and Github-like. It has official maintained support from the Jenkins developers (we use that for CI/CD). We're very happy to know that there is a non-profit alternative in case the Gitea firm starts doing shady stuff, but for now, the only thing we want from upstream is stability and ease-of-use. Forgejo is simply not big enough yet, to put it bluntly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

@ItmsAs someone who is interested in seeing the newest changes and just went through the arduous process of compiling the game from source, a nightly build sounds really cool.

 

Sadly, despite following the nightly build guide, I encountered an issue with TortoiseSVN failing to recognize  https://svn.itms.ovh/nightly-build/trunk. I'm wondering if this may be due to nightly builds not being implemented yet or if the svn link is not working as intended?

 

Edited by BOB13671
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The problem I was facing was following the guide for the nightly build (link), and the url for it does not exist. I tried this both on tortoiseGit and the linux terminal.

Example:

~$ svn checkout https://svn.itms.ovh/nightly-build/trunk
svn: E170000: URL 'https://svn.itms.ovh/nightly-build/trunk' doesn't exist


In other news I downloaded the code from the svn repo https://svn.wildfiregames.com/public/ps/trunk/ , and ran the bash script you provided, which it made it extremely easy to get the game running. Thank You!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'd like to use my Gitea account to help identify issues with the new system, so please send the password.

What's being used for CI/CD, still Jenkins, or something else? Where in the web-based interface is the CI/CD system? I particularly want to see whether warnings from source/tools/entity/checkrefs.py are being passed to developers effectively, as it's relevant to the changes to build/jenkins/pipelines/docker-differential.Jenkinsfile in D5266.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

I'd like to use my Gitea account to help identify issues with the new system, so please send the password.

What's being used for CI/CD, still Jenkins, or something else? Where in the web-based interface is the CI/CD system? I particularly want to see whether warnings from source/tools/entity/checkrefs.py are being passed to developers effectively, as it's relevant to the changes to build/jenkins/pipelines/docker-differential.Jenkinsfile in D5266.

Currently the CI/CD is not implemented, but yeah we'll probably use Jenkins. (There is new stuff like https://www.drone.io/ but everything is we currently have is for jenkins)

For security reasons, I don't think we should run the CI with the Jenkinsfile on the branches (malicious actors might do bad things) If you want to test a new CI script you need access to the Jenkins instance or talk to someone who does.

Regarding linting, it would be indeed interesting to have some better linting that what's currently done, where you have to check the linting on Jenkins. I've redirected error output to the correct stream, so you can technically get errors by filtering output 2. Currently IIRC the linting failing is not breaking the pipeline.

Regarding that change, I'm a bit sad it went from -tax to -actx (cause tax is fun and so is tau (unused), but the rest looks okay)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/04/2024 at 2:44 AM, BOB13671 said:

Sadly, despite following the nightly build guide, I encountered an issue with TortoiseSVN failing to recognize  https://svn.itms.ovh/nightly-build/trunk. I'm wondering if this may be due to nightly builds not being implemented yet or if the svn link is not working as intended?

Not implemented yet, but close.

19 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

I'd like to use my Gitea account to help identify issues with the new system, so please send the password.

Sent.

19 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

What's being used for CI/CD, still Jenkins, or something else? Where in the web-based interface is the CI/CD system? I particularly want to see whether warnings from source/tools/entity/checkrefs.py are being passed to developers effectively

I'm almost ready to start CI (hopefully) and I'll use the checkrefs script as my main test avenue. It will allow me to check that Git LFS interacts correctly with the CI.

19 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:

as it's relevant to the changes to build/jenkins/pipelines/docker-differential.Jenkinsfile in D5266.

Once I have set things up, I will be very interested in having those changes in a pull request on gitea.

17 hours ago, Stan` said:

For security reasons, I don't think we should run the CI with the Jenkinsfile on the branches (malicious actors might do bad things) If you want to test a new CI script you need access to the Jenkins instance or talk to someone who does.

This is automatically covered by the Gitea Jenkins plugin. Jenkins uses the Jenkinsfile from the upstream branch when the pull request author is not a recognized contributor. If it works as advertised, this will remove the need to have access to the Jenkins instance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Itms said:

This is automatically covered by the Gitea Jenkins plugin. Jenkins uses the Jenkinsfile from the upstream branch when the pull request author is not a recognized contributor. If it works as advertised, this will remove the need to have access to the Jenkins instance.

Neat!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Any update on this? I know people are busy with their own life, but I'm excited!

A presentation was given at a small french conference back in May, and work should resume during the summer :)

Work has been done on the documentation that can be checked there.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...