Low Poly Modeling and Smoothing.

So I plan on doing the deer task next and I went ahead and modeled out a deer last night. I just used this as an excuse to practice some more low poly modeling. Brian talked to the class about keeping the polys planer and it’s easy to do when we are modeling a building. But I find it’s hard to tell if I’m modeling a dynamic body correctly.

I’m going to work through the tutorials in max for low poly modeling but I wanted to know if anyone has suggestions for mastering this modeling style.

Also any information on how to tell if one is smoothing properly, I found myself a bit confused when Jason would say the smoothing groups on one of my models was wrong. When it’s not obvious to me what the problem is I need to learn how to see the way you guys are seeing.

Thanks for the help!

post-3389-1202582190_thumb.jpg

Check this out Steve - I found this today for you. Hopefully it helps with smoothing groups:

http://www.free3dtutorials.com/index.php?t...ftware=1&id=104

http://lounge.ego-farms.com/ <= also some great tutorials

I'm unfortunately not going to be able to finish reviewing the roman buildings today nor get you the deer task. I'm not sure if I'll get to the computer again till Tuesday. Carry on with the deer though (but it kinda looks like a moose :P)

I have a similar question about my cult shrins im working on.

Ive been trying to keep them under 50 polys. Just making sure thats what you want, so for example.. One of the shrines has out stretched arms, should I delete the polys under the arms?

Hints maybe to keeping it nice and low would be nice.

If you won't see it then it can likely go.

Sorry, didn't catch that question, if you see it - looking horizontal to it, you can generally leave it. If you start to pitch the camera down and start to look up, you could probably remove many of those polygons.

RTS games don't usually offer a FPS type camera view unless there is some sort of special cinematic.