Screenshots!

Ramus Crudelis

When are we gonna see some new screenshots and I also'd like to know what major things (except bug-busting) the makers are still facing so I could make an estimation when we're finally going to be able to play this awesome game...I've been waiting since march 2004...yet I've only recently (few days ago) made a forum account...so I could find out more

:P

Ramus

Screenshots/showcases and the like are scheduled to be released monthly (hopefully I've got to add, things don't always work out as planned and people don't have as much time as they'd want). So the next screenshot should be available early February unless something unexpected happens.

I'd also like to add that there are two new History Articles posted each months (again unless something unexpected happens and the size will of course affect the number).

I'll leave it to the different Departments to describe it in more detail, but there are a number of gameplay features not yet implemented (and some which have begun to be implemented, but still needs a lot of work before being useful) and quite some art yet to be made. After that has been finished there is still a lot of bugs to get rid of and testing to be made before the game is finished.

Well, in your honest opinion, do you think it's going to take the entire staff longer then 1.5/2 years to finish the game?

Because it'd really feel like @#$% for a week if its going to be like Duke Nukem Forever, I was a fan of that game, reading articles every day about it, but after 8-9 years of painful waiting, I just started to hate that game and I will never buy it if it will come out in like 2050.

But seriously, will I be 'scarred' like I was with Duke Nukem Forever?

In my very honest opinion I'll say that 1.5 years is at least out of the question. That would require a miracle and a bunch of extremely skilled people added to the team. 2 years, I don't know, I wouldn't bet on it. I mean, we all hope that it will be done soon, but there's simply too much left before the game is ready to be released for us to be able to make any estimates. And also there are too many things we don't have control over, like when people have time to work on the game etc.

To have something to compare with I've read that a professional team working full time takes at least 2-3 years to finish a game, we're not professional in that sense and don't have the ability to work full time. Thinking about that we've come a long way in these three (roughly, I don't have the exact date) years since the actual development began, so I do believe there's hope for the project, I just don't believe it will be finished very soon.

How do you mean that you're making art for the Romans?

I thought all that was finished and what you're basically left with is to complete some gameplay key elements and ALOT of bug fixing.

edit: and I've seen quite alot of Roman units in the screenshots, Hastati, Principes, Triarii, Javelin throwers, Early Marian Legionairres...

Edited by Ramus Crudelis

I mean that we haven't specifically featured a Roman unit like we have with the Spartans and others.

No, we're actually far from finishing all the art. We're even far from fine tuning gameplay. The engine itself is in pre-alpha phases, meaning that the actual engine is going through bug testing, not the game. We've still got a lot of art, a lot of programming and a lot more bug testing to do before we can even think about a beta release, which we plan to be extended.

WFG Staff must be just thrilled to answer those several questions (BETA?! Release date?!) every few or so days / weeks, when a new forumer registers. :):P

Not to be rude, but if you have been checking in with WFG for a while, you should know that a release date for this game, or an open beta is strictly tentative with these guys (not that its a bad thing).

WFG Staff must be just thrilled to answer those several questions (BETA?! Release date?!) every few or so days / weeks, when a new forumer registers. :):P

We really need to put that information somewhere. Not under the title 'FAQ', but more along the lines of 'Looking for the beta? Click here!'. Hopefully that will soak up half of the new guys.

PPE,

That might anger some people...

Looking for the beta? Click here!

"We're sorry but the beta / engine is still a work in progress."

What I mean by that is, people would be expecting that they would be able to sign up for it, and or download it.

I think a simple "DEVELOPMENT STILL IN PROGRESS", or something along those lines on the front page would cover the issue. And if it still occurs, which it probably would, people need to get glasses than.

Edited by HistoryGuy

In development sounds better tbh. But we really need a sort of large area of the site to clearly say that it isn't done and won't be for a while, maybe linking to a thread with details. Like where that 'Latest Articles' box is.

Edit: I just another idea. What about a small banner that hovers above the page in the top right/left corner? It could be like the 'Key Features' banner and say something like 'Pre-Alpha Stage' or even with a hypothetical percentage of completion: even though that's really hard to gauge at this point, as we'd have to index pretty much everything, determine size and importance.. blah blah blah, it would better give the impression that we're not done. Whatever is going to catch people's eye so they notice immediately that it can't be downloaded yet.

Edited by The Purple People Eater