When Building Structures…

I’m reading through the design document and wondering if we need to leave some room around the predetermined grids listed in the document or make it tight like I did in my example.

I went ahead and make a quick model of this image to give a visual rep’ of what I’m talking about (see attached image), I don’t know if I need to cite that in fear of being hit with the naughty stick. I wouldn’t mind the dunce has as much.

post-3389-1199933098_thumb.jpg

Its not super critical whether its exactly taking up the entire tile, this can be disagreed on but what I do to my structures is I leave a tiny bit of slack between the boundary and the building's walls, enough room for a unit to take half a step in if it were next to it. This is to discourage clipping that might occur if a unit is too close to the building.

I never ran into this in-game, rather I just do it as a precaution incase we have some animations or props on units that'll clip through the building's walls if the unit is pathfinding right around the building where an aspect of its animation could intersect with the structure . Also when we decorate the building with props - just imagine if there where barrels or crates put along the side of the building outside of its boundary - a little bit of spacing will discourage the more obvious situations of clipping that could occur - but the structure should still be within arm's reach of a unit.

Here, this may help as reference and visual, I don't know if you have this dummy human model as a scale referance either.

pimped_out_rome_mc.gif

hele_ma-v3.jpg

Like notice that just because a building is 3x3 tiles doesn't mean it needs to be a rigid square hugging that tile exactly - the tiles are just collision constrains for the engine, they take up a certain amount of tiles that units won't be able to move through. Also you want to make the building look like it fits into the game world naturally, strewing a bunch of props around helps tie it into the terrain and make it not look like its an exact square footprint, or that everything stops right after that boundary. Make the building look natural firstly, then constrain it to the tile boundary keeping in mind how things might clip and how much slack is needed for embelishment objects around the building.

Short version: Good so far! Scale it down 2-3% to create some slack for props and to discourage units clipping through it if they are too close.

Edited by Aeros