Voice acting

Ornlu

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to point out that Asiya does not mean mill. Jangi means soldier in general. The language of the Persians was Avestan and also an Indo-European language known as Sanskrit which the Indians spoke.

Languages of Persia. Many languages have been used in the long history of Persia. The speech of the court and nobility in the days of Darius I was Old Persian, a tongue so closely related to Sanskrit that evidently they are both dialects of some language older still.

Old Persian developed on the one hand into Zend, the language of the Zend-Avesta and on the other hand into Pahlavi -- a Hindu language from which has come the Persian language of today, Farsi (spoken in modern Iran).

When the Persians took to writing, they adopted the Babylonian cuneiform for their monumental inscriptions and the Aramaic alphabet for their other documents.

In the old days, many languages had similarities and in essence were derived from other languages, so most of them had many things in common.

rquader:

I would like to point out that Asiya does not mean mill. Jangi means soldier in general.

Thanks for your comments on Tonto_Sanjab's translations. Could you please let us know what Persian words you feel should be used in these cases, and then we can go about correcting them?

I had forgotten to write that Asiya means house/home or dwelling. Because of the complexity of the language, many English words will have various Persian/Sanskrit counterparts depending on the usage. So it will be rather difficult to pinpoint a particular meaning.

Bow in Sanskrit is Dhanu. Deriving from which is Dhanur (of or relating to the bow), Dhanuska and other words. Of which, Dhanur Graha (bow wielder) is probably the most correct term for Archer. From this, there is Dhanur Grahin which is the masculine form of what could be Archer.

There are lots of words borrowed from Sanskrit in the English language. Nu (Nau) is such a word that resembles nautilus/nautical. Nu(Nau) means ship.

• 2 weeks later...

Rguader, asiya is mill in Persian. My terms were in "pure" modern Persian, since anything else would be quite difficult to find. Sanskrit would be closer though, and if you can translate all words into Sanskrit it would be great, but whatever we do we shouldn't mix and use words from both Persian and Sanskrit.

Jangi does not mean soldier. War = Jang or setiz. Pil Jangi = War elephant. The -i suffix is necessary for the grammar in Persian, in this situation. I found some accurate Old Persian names for provinces, better than the ones I gave you before.

Persian/English

1. Parsa/Fars - homeland of the Persians; plus the lowland of Anshan (Khuzistan).

2. Uvja/Elam

3. Babirush/Babylonia: modern middle east

4. Athura/Assyria: eastern Turkey, northern Iraq

5. Arabaya/Northern Arabia

6. Mudraya/Egypt; added by Cambyases I.

7. Tyaiy Drayahya/Northern Turkey: 'the lands beside the (Black) Sea

8. Sparda/Lydia: Southeastern Turkey

9. Yauna/Ionian:the same as above

10. Mada/Media: northeastern Iran; Tarsus mountains.

11. Armina/Armenia

12. Katpatuka/Cappadocia: still turkey: central

13. Parthava/Parthia: eastern Iran

14. Zraka/Drangiana: Seistan, eastern Iran

15. Haraiva/Aria: Herat, Afghanistan

16. Uvarazmish/Kwarazm or Chorasmia: lower Amu Darya: Kazakhstan + Uzbekhstan

17. Bakhtrish/Bactria: north of the Hindu Kush range

18. Suguda/Sogdiana: Samarkand region: Afghanistan

19. Gadara/Gandhara: Peshawar: upper Indus: Pakistan

20. Saka or Saca/The steppe country inhabited by the Scythian tribes on the Syr Darya

21. Thatagush/Sattagydia: Kabul: Afghanistan

22. Harauvatish/Kandahar

23. Maka/The desert coast of Makran and Baluchistan in southern Iran

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

24. Putaya/Lybia: nominal rule only

25. Kushiya/Ethiopia: nomilan rule

26. Hindush/The Sind region of lower Indus, Pakistan: nominal rule

27. Karka/Caria

@Cassius - that would be fantastic. I'll show you what we have so far. Its 'really' 'really' 'really' rough :S If you can improve on it though... that would be a great help!

English Goths
Yes? jái
My Lord? fráuja
How may I serve you? skalkinôn
As you wish gaírnjan
I'm coming silba aljaþ
On my way wagjan
Attack! slahan
For my family! silba fadreins
Build timrjan
Farm atisk
Mine or Dig uf-graban
Chop asts
Gather lisan
Herd haírdeis
Fish fiskôn
Repair midumônds
Hunt fôdeins
Your Orders? izwar háitan
Ready, Sir faúr-stasseis
My Liege? silba fráujinônds
By your Command izwar faúr-biudan
Yes my Lord fráuja
As you wish ga-láistjan
Cities will Fall! Acwellan!
War cry!
To victory! haírus
Yes, great one? blôtinassus
Your wish? izwar gaírnjan
By the Gods áihtrôn
Heal lêkinôn
At your service izwar driugan
Orders, Sir ana-biudan
Ready manwus
Move out! draúhtinôn
March! £arbôn
With my honour môdags
Engage! du-at-sniwan
Attack! dis-taíran
Formation laígaíôn
Hold your position! izwar uf-haban
Retreat! haúrnjan
Surround them! fra-hinþan
Advance! gaggan
Battle cry

• 1 month later...

Tonto_Sanjab, any chance we could borrow you to do some vocal work with the persian words you translated? Our voice actor could use some help with the pronounciation of these words. Listening to the text is a great help.

A few requests though:

1) a second or two before and after the recording.

2) say it once at normal speed, and a second time slowly

3) if possible, make a quality recording B) What you can do is certainly better than nothing, but if possible... reduce background noise as much as possible.

This is not the only language we could use assitance with. We need help for the Welsh and the Basque/Spanish.

Welsh has mutated over the years, so you would need to find possibly an old copy of the mabanogion or possibly talk to someone who knows the language intimatly.

Unfortunatly even though I live in Wales and was born in Wales I just can't speak Welsh.

OT: But I do love the Celtic tales of Branwen and the Myth of the Morrigan*. If its possible can you add these words that the morrigan was meant to have spoken in some sort of writen passage related to the celts.

I shall not see a world that will be dear to me

Summer without flowers

Kine will be without milk,

Women without modesty,

Men without valor,

Captures without a king...

Woods without mast,

Sea without produce...

Wrong judgments of old men,

False precedents of lawyers,

Every man a betrayer,

Every boy a reaver

Son will enter his fathers bed,

Father will enter his son's bed,

Every one will be his brother's brother in law....

An evil time!

Son will deceive his father,

Daughter will deceive her mother.

It is her prophacy of the end of the world

*Celtic goddess of Death and destruction.

Welsh has mutated over the years

Yes, most (if not all) of the languages in the game are nearly nothing like they were 2000 years ago. But, we just want to do the best we possibly can.

so you would need to find possibly an old copy of the mabanogion or possibly talk to someone who knows the language intimatly.

Unfortunatly even though I live in Wales and was born in Wales I just can't speak Welsh.

You do? Hmm, well even so a person in Wales would prounounce "Fel eich gorchymyn" far better than I would. I wouldn't even know where to start B) Any chance you have any friends or family you could sit down and have them speak while you record them? It would help immensly for the authenticity of the game. Maybe not 2000 years ago accurate, but as close as a group of hobbiest game developers could probably get.

If its possible can you add these words that the morrigan was meant to have spoken in some sort of writen passage related to the celts.

If you can get it in welsh, we could even voice act it and stick that in the game :D

oh guys, if you need female voice acting I dunnot have alot of experience but i'd be happy to help anyway :D

note : only problem is my free time. I don't have much of it. But you can throw a couple taunts/narration/other at me if you guys really need help :(

• 3 weeks later...
The method of which you'd help with pronunciation involves recording yourself saying the word so that the voice actors know how to pronounce it by hearing it first.

Yeah, and to add to what Bobbo said - your goal wouldn't be to actually do the final voice acting files. Your goal is to record something to where our voice actor (CalvinH) can hear and 'voice act' your recordings according your pronounciation.

Well, we really don't need Chinese... but, I bet there might eventually be some modders out there who could use some Chinese voice acting files.

But, the idea would be to make the accent fit the needs. So, you would want to put an accent on it that is as as 'old' as possible. This is why we need help. Take Latin for instance... we know the words, we even have a pronounciation guide (thanks Sukkit), but its very hard to get the correct voice influxions.