Linux

nedkelly

Hi

The development of the game looks great can hardly wait, even worse than waiting for Christmas :(

I have search around in the forum, and from what I can understand the game will also be available on Linux, is this right?? And will it be out on the same time as the windows version?

Keep up the good work

It will be available on Linux (and, if there aren't unexpected problems, OS X) - some of the programmers here are Linux users, and are making sure the game and all the editing tools work properly.

I would hope all the versions can be released at the same time, though we don't currently have any plans about that. I expect it'll be harder to release things on Linux than on Windows, since there's a lot more variation in libraries and services and drivers, but we'll try to make it work :(

• 1 month later...

putting the code in a tarball doesn't mean one can compile it... the make and config scripts is where the magic happens, and that doesn't even take in account the obvious differences between all the platforms, for which the actual gamecode has to be tuned to get things to work.

Edited by Breepee

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Keeping something closed sourced doesn't mean that it would be hard to port. In fact there are many such projects. Namely Opera and Skype (well, I hate it, but as example it serves well).

Porting on Linux is done directly by developers and as long as Dnas is member of developing team and OpenGL is used, I'm not worried.

I got Unreal Tournament working smoothly on Linux. We even played it on multiplayer (well, I was beaten :) ), so even though it wasn't ported, I'm not afraid running it in WINE.

What makes me somewhat disappointed are reasons why to keep it closed. Not that I would try to enforce opening as it depends on creators but reasons against opening suggest that there is something darker hiding behind. But this is my personal feeling.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
ubuntu, linux, suse, mac...WHY if you can have Windows Xp

There is many reasons why I use Linux (Ubuntu), safety/security, usability/configurability and lower system requirements.

On top of that, I'm a student, who does not have much money, and Ubuntu is free, and so is almost every Linux program. Also I have a problem with a company has a de facto monopoly on what software, one run on ones computer. I like diversity :P

Edited by nedkelly

ubuntu, linux, suse, mac...WHY if you can have Windows Xp

XP, Vista, mac... WHY if you can have GNU/Linux ?

Every one can use GNU/Linux, it cost from about $0, so even if you are poor as I am, you can get it! Microsoft Windows is really expensive, even if perhaps you think it's free because some swindlers force you to buy it when you buy a computer. In addition, a lot of people prefer use GNU/Linux which is more effective and easier to use. After try it, they can't imagine to use Windows again.

I don't understand why people like you don't want to let people using the software they want...

uhm yeah I'm not poor

The question is not to be poor, the question is why do I would give money to Microsoft when I have already a very good software to do all what I want ?

but for decent games, Linux etc. just blows, you gotta admit that

I don't understand : are you saying that games designed for Windows work better with windows than with GNU/Linux ?

Yeah, but first you have to admit that Playstation games don't work on Xbox...

And ?

Edited by just_a_guy

There is only one question you have to ask: when a game doesn't work on GNU/Linux, is it because GNU/Linux doesn't want you play your game, or is it because the game was made to not work on GNU/Linux ?

Is it the same problem as when you go on a Web page and it work only with IE 6 but not with Firefox... Is it because Firefox is a poor software which doesn't know to read Web pages ?

But, in addition, if you go here, you can see a test (in french but you can read the graphics I guess) which shows that some games work better on GNU/Linux than on Windows... So I disagree with you...

I don't say GNU/Linux is no good at letting you play the game, I know the companies just refuse to make the game for GNU/Linux, but that doens't take away that there aren't alot of (graphically) good games for all OS's except windows and I wish it was different but it isn't. :P

Oh and by the way I read that article (I know some French, I live near France)

and yeah, they're right but still

Edited by Ramus Crudelis

the viruses is not windows of microsofts fault, it's those idiots fault who make them solely for windows, I hate those ****** :P

Actually, those viruses are solely Microsofts fault. Viruses abuse errors in Windows. And there are many due to fatal errors in design. They failed to effectively separate admin and normal user.

In Windows it is impossible to not to be logged in as admin and install important software. Vista introduces this finally (something what is in Linux and other UNIXes for ages) and many programs have problems with it as Microsoft learned creators of such programs to do their work wrong way.

These fatal design errors force users to be logged in as Admins and therefore all they do, they do it with high privileges. Including running viruses.

In Linux (and others) you cannot log in as root. You can swith to root just for time needed for necessary operation. Any virus attempting to break your system would have to pass through this secured system.

Yes, virus can erase your user data (which you can delete accidentally, anyway), but it still won't be able to cause any harm to your system. When you use more accounts and secure access rights, you are pretty much secure from any virus.

But quite recently more and more viruses are coming out for mac and linux too, sadly ;)

Really? Could you send me link for download? I' gladly help with betatest :)

I've seen some viruses for Linux. Looked basically as:

!#/bin/sh

rm -rf ~

• 1 month later...