Hello all

Hello guys & girls,

I have been checking on this great project for some years now and finally registerd at your fora...better late then never

hahaha The Spartans you guys have developed pushed me to hit that register button.......i love em

Your stuff has come a long way and it looks and reads fantastic ! so awesome job to all who have helped getting it to this point.

The Guys over at Dawn of Fantasy had asked me to help out on their rts game.....unfortunatly i did not have the time for it.......but its great to see that 2 of these mega developments are still alive and kicking.

Ofcourse i know that Oad is a more historical thingy....but although i would love to see some myth stuff in it i think its much more interesting then the stuff released by ES ( Aoe3 stuff) and basicly also the other newer games.

I am personaly a bit stuck with all these newer video games....... somehow they do not give me any sparkels...they just do not inspire me and my imagination.......lol and i get already bored when I look at their covers when i am in some video game store........

Oscar had already made a topic about Oad ( here ) but i will look if i can promote the stuff some more on my webbie or forum or somewhere

would be nice if Oad could ignite again the fading scenario design community...or at least would be nice if a lot of people move into it when it is released

As I understand you guys are building also an ultimate editor tool for this game right ?

I also wonder how easy the game engine can be adapted to other themes .........( for example like Es did with AoK ---> Swgb) because if the base would be easy adaptable you guys can make all kinds of themes for it.......but ofocurse thats all future stuff

Ok good luck with the stuff and i will be checking in once in a while

Edited by The_Vandhaal

As I understand you guys are building also an ultimate editor tool for this game right ?

Yes, and if I remember correctly, you are the top designer in the AoM community, and by my book one of the most talented and integral that the entire scenario designing community has seen, I'll say you top even a few classics from the AoK golden age that inspired me to do what I do. And Oscar (thought he took off too?) is second only to you.

And I would be CheeZy, who's dissapeared happily into this project since I left HG in 2004, albeit recently renamed under a new name.

From the thread you linked -

for the people that don't know what 0 A.D. is this game is a "remake" of AoE 1 with better graphic, gameplay and game concepts

I need to clarify this as misinformation, we are not looking to remake anything, nor is AoE I pertaining to the time frame of 0 A.D. - AoE was about tribes (10,000BC) expanding through the ages and waging wars up until the iron age. We're following a vision started in 2001 to show classical civilizations at the height of their empires, replicating their cultures down to the unique tactics and traits their warriors display during battle.

0 A.D. (zero Ae-Dee) depicts a golden age of classical civilizations from 500B.C. (part 1 - 6 civs) to 500 A.D. (part 2 - 6 more civs). Combat was a glorious and highly respected art, it was down to the integrity and skill of the individual soldier and the determination and ferocity that their leaders portrayed. War then was an art, for many there was no better way to die. This is a huge contrast to how war was in later times, like in the middle ages when soldiers were hired, not mustered, and the outcome of battles was decided by technology and how cheaply you can use it - a trait followed up until today where machines strike from a safe distance and all traces of the system of valor and honor our ancestors believed in are gone.

Or to put it simply, the ancients took their entire culture with them to the battlefield. Today, and since the feudal age, we bring only our technology.

This should suffice to express the inspiration behind 0 A.D., and explain the basis for our historical thoroughness and interest. Our game design vision is focused on portraying the unique and cultural system of empire building, allowing the player to get a glimpse into the rich cultural art and logic portrayed by these ancient tribal systems.

Its now my personal / scholarly opinion if I may say so, when I say that this golden age of combat portrayed the last and the most colorful displays of tribal culture at its zenith. It was the end of the order that pulled life together out of prehistory, and the completion of the painting of life that ancient man had been creating since pre-history. Its the events that take place in our game, in 0 A.D., that put into the action the events that brought about this change. 0 A.D. is a fictitious time, yet a factual concept of when the tribes ended their isolation and civilization first met. 0 A.D. is the clashing and clanging zenith of tribal mankind displaying for the last time the ways prehistoric life, simultaneously ending them and giving way to empire, religion, government and the first mechanics of life that modern humans live by today. That is the transitionary epoch of 0 A.D - a year which did not exist, but a concept of time that is both beginning and end.

So..we're not remaking AoE1 :(

About your understandings of our editor, it was a massive undertaking for me to write the technical design document for this editor, complete with concepts and many diagrams, as well as integrate and weave it with the extensive modding support we want the game to have. I actually would like to get in contact with you to tell you some more about it, as well as tell you about a system we're currently putting into WFG to make this place and it's projects into a community, where people inside and out of the development team can influence the development of the game as a whole.

Edited by Aeros

Thanx for the reactions and the welcome guys

@ Cheezy

ah a new name :(

LoL yes Oscar is still around. He is most active in my personal forum and basicly not really on HG.....counts also a little for me......... I am also less active on HG.....BUT both of us are still messing around with scenario & design stuff

He thats a very nice desciption..thanx for taking the time to write down that info........i will quote it in Oscars thread over at my forum.

And yes a good time choise....which makes me happy

About your understandings of our editor, it was a massive undertaking for me to write the technical design document for this editor, complete with concepts and many diagrams, as well as integrate and weave it with the extensive modding support we want the game to have

This sounds very good ! I hope it also gets cinematic features and stuff

I actually would like to get in contact with you to tell you some more about it, as well as tell you about a system we're currently putting into WFG to make this place and it's projects into a community, where people inside and out of the development team can influence the development of the game as a whole.

Sure.....well for private convos you can mail me any time ( vandhaal@gmail.com) and maybe we can meet up on msn

Ofcourse you can also message me in my forum or here

now you mention this something from the dark regions of my brain is bubbeling up...........I understand the game and time thing in oad..........but the editor can ofcourse go a little further.......it can contain things which are not really in the acual games...........lol i think it is clear what I am hinting at :P

maybe in the end when the bulk of the game is done some of the designers can put some extra units/ buildings/ objects in that editor which are not part of the real game but can be used in custom scenario stuff..........myth stuff..........not like AoM but more like a single thing......lol but let me stop here because my imagination already goes crazy because it is flooded with ideas about this....but the editor and its possibilities can also attract people who like the more fantastic stuff over pure historical stuff (y)

ok thanx again for the welcome, the info and the reactions

don't hesitate to contact me ( and do not worry if i react not right away.......i am always a bit busy )

Untill next time guys

a btw its ashame that the Germans are skipped from the game :eek: lol they would have been very usefull to recreate other parts of the Nibelungen saga

Edited by The_Vandhaal

Well, while I'm not the best person to write about it I just had to say something :( The editor does already have some cinematic features AFAIK, and was used to produce the video released earlier this year. And while I don't know whether we will add some mythic units it will be easy to do so for anyone with the necessary skills. (More or less modelling and the ability to add some stats etc)

In general the game will be possible to turn into a completely different game by someone with the right skills, after all the other game project of WFG, The Last Alliance, will use the same engine as 0 A.D. for a game set in Middle Earth and with more RPG tendencies.