Anyone seen Troy yet?

Aeros

Welllll.... It wasn't as great or as epic as it's hyped up to be. I saw it about an hour ago. Sure there was action and some massive battles but that was it. It was almost as near an FX fest as The Matrix Revolutions, and the ending sucked almost as much (Achilles dies and then the screen fades to credits 30 seconds later)

It was average, mediocre or so. The span of the movie wasn't great either, it makes the whole thing seem like it took 3 days to take over troy (or 13 if you follow the movie's timeline) while it actually was supposed to take 10 years accourding to the legend.

Also there was lots of sex :P No nudity though, just that Achilles got to sex up atleast 4 girls.

Grrrrrr. My post is gone... I wrote some kind of long text and then there was a crazy forums error :P

Anyway, I'll try to write it again.

I originally wanted to see the movie on Saturday together with some friends at a local movie theatre, but in the last minute, they decided to go sailing because of the good wind. So we didn't see it yet, and after all I heard from different people, it isn't so great or epic that it is necessary to hurry seeing it in the near future. We'll see.

Oh, and btw: Cheezy, you said the movie ends with Achilles dieing ? That's somewhat strange, because if I'm not mistaken, the original text by Vergil/Homer says that Achilles dies already some time before the Horse comes into action and Troy finally falls... so they changed the story ? If they did, I think it's a shame they put the person of Achilles in the focus that much, because the movie is not called "Achilles" but "Troja" (German word for "Troy")...

(beer.gif

Indeed, Achilles is killed by Pâris standing on the walls of Troy, IIRC.

Anyway, also, in Homer's Illiad, they also burnt and loomed the cities around that belonged to Troy; and overall that took over 10 years. I thought Patrocles was only Achilles's friend ... or maybe even boyfriend.

Greeks were not only enjoying the company of women. Homosexuality was nearly commonly tolerated (if not accepted). Maybe Achilles and Patrocles were not only friends of arms ... but also friends in each other's arms ... :P

Anyway, I watched it and it was entertaining. It reminded me of LotR in its way of handling the story. That is to say, adpating the original story to fit Hollywood's standards ... what a shame ... :)

I thought Patrocles was only Achilles's friend ... or maybe even boyfriend.

From the legends view, he was his friend, I think.

About the death of Achilles: I think, the legend tells that Achilles kills Hector, but is being killed by someone (don't remember if it was Paris, but I doubt that) not much later utilizing his weakness at the back of the foot (sorry, I don't have the English word at hand here :P). After that, the Greeks get into serious problems because without Achilles, they are being pushed back again and again. In the end, they decide to make a final try with the horse, and they are successful as we know. Paris gets killed in the final battle around the palace of Priam, I think.

But I haven't read the legend for almost a year now - so I'm not sure about all that stuff. Will probably have a look at the text again later today :)

@Curu: Well, LotR did do some changes to the story, but nothing fundamental, like having a major character survive longer than in the original story - at least that's what I think (being not very well educated on all the LotR-Stuff though).

Achilles kills Hector, but is being killed by someone (don't remember if it was Paris, but I doubt that) not much later utilizing his weakness at the back of the foot (sorry, I don't have the English word at hand here :P).

Ahh... the heel (sp?) of course. And that's way some people call weaknesses an "Achilles Heel". :):P

(beer.gif

@Curu: Well, LotR did do some changes to the story, but nothing fundamental, like having a major character survive longer than in the original story - at least that's what I think (being not very well educated on all the LotR-Stuff though).

:P

Well, try to imagine that The Trojan Horse was actually a Trojan Dolphin, that Achilles killed Patrocles, that Hector actually kidnapped Helen, that Troy wa actually attacking Greece ... well, that is how much LotR was changed compared to Troy ... :)

Achilles kills Hector, but is being killed by someone (don't remember if it was Paris, but I doubt that) not much later utilizing his weakness at the back of the foot (sorry, I don't have the English word at hand here :P).

Ahh... the heel (sp?) of course. And that's way some people call weaknesses an "Achilles Heel". :P:)

yep

as far as i remember his mother lowered him into the river styx to make him invicible but she had to hold on something so his heel never got into the river, making it his only weakness.

anybody remember it othervise?

Rated R in the states, meaning you can't see it without an adult with you :P We don't exactly have age limmits.

There wasn't any nudity (well, nakedness, but not nudity if you know what I mean) and it wasn't one of the most violent movies... If people wore clothes a little more the movie would probably have been PG-13, meaning it's for age 13 and above