Online Multiplayer Gaming (What Servers?)

Lysimachus

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but please be aware that I have already done a search and my results did not get my questions answered.

If it has been answered elsewhere, please forgive me.

Online Multiplayer is critical for me. That is all I play. About a year ago when I visited this site, Wildfire was still unsure what would happen regarding an online Multiplayer community. The regular "LAN" game seemed to be the only answer to the tremendous expense of having online 24/7 servers.

But my question is, has Wildfire thought of any solutions since then? Is there any way to have something like "ESO" (I pray not Gayspy!) ?

Is there any sort of income feed that can self-pay for some online servers? I cannot wait to get onine with this game and kick some booty. A game like this is non-existant without online multiplayer.

I play Rise & Fall online all the time. IN fact, it's the only other RTS game I play. Why? It's the ONLY RTS game that is the closest to Age of Empires 1 besides 0AD. After all, Rise & Fall was created by Rick Goodman, the creator of Age of Empires 1 and the man who invented the whole "Age of Empires" concept! (by the way, you 0AD fans are playing Rise & Fall, right? I mean, you guys are really behind the times if you're not .... even our late Pheonix-TRD had RnF as one of his biggest wishes---to play RnF before he died. Rise & Fall keeps me happy while I wait for 0.AD.)

Anyway, looking forward to your comments. :)

Lysimachus

I'd like to know that too, but I think it may be too early now for anything to be concrete. :)

Not sure how you can play RaF for so long... the campaign was the only thing I really liked about it, which is rare for an RTS these days. Whatever floats your boat, of course. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The reason I like it is because new strategies have evolved, and new build-orders have been invented making it more intense than it's ever been before--especially on Sands of War map.

It's more "epic" in "battle feel" than any RTS to-date. The graphics are still ahead of it's time. No other historical RTS meets the graphic quality, beauty, and army sizes altogether as does Rise & Fall.

I have a Dell XPS M1710 Gaming Laptop with all the latest graphics hardware. I'm able to turn the graphics and FULL pitch on both Age3 and Rise & Fall with no lag or choppiness. Rise & Fall still winds hands down in terrain, water, and unit art. Age3 wins in sunlight and "glow", that's all.

Lysimachus

• 1 month later...

Yes, the severs could charge a fee to keep them running. I would be willing to pay, that's for sure.

On top of that, some fan out there could dedicate a server for it that is already dedicated to other things as well. Then it will pay for itself.

I think it would be insane not to have a place for communities to gather and play multi-player.

Consider this:

When EA pulled the plug on the demo servers for BF2, some people chose to keep their servers running exclusively for the demo version. This is an example of the community investing resources.

I am certain that if WFG will not create something like a match-making service (a central/master server), the community would.

• 1 month later...