0 A.D. Promotion

Fred187

Just wondering, especially now that the video is out, whether 0 A.D. could do with someone to run some interent promotion? This would range from anonymous spamming of random games forums about it, to organising websites to host and advertise the trailer and whatever else you want. By the way this is both a suggestion and an offer. :)

Edited by Fred187

Perfect timing, this topic is something we are about to do a thorough sweep. Yes we very much need promotion to establish a community, and more importantly, to make interested parties aware of what we are doing in the hopes that they can come help in the development of the game. Its not an easy task and 0 A.D. will only be completed so long as there are people willing to develop it.

If you guys have any ideas on what things could help promote 0 A.D. or what communities would be interested in this game, post here :) Lets start some discussion!

Edited by CheeZy

This game is fantastic in comparison with almost every other free game in development, even in its unfinished state, it's still looking like it could be measured against commercial games. I reckon all we'd need to do is get it in the right places and its public status will escalate from there (as you guys have said, it's pretty hard to find). I suggest that all the big games sites are contacted, with links to the work:

www.gamershell.com

www.gamespot.com

www.fileplanet.com

www.ign.com

That's all the major ones I can think of off the top of my head, so that list would be much bigger. The likelihood is, some of them won't even read the e-mail, but all you need is for one site to give it some coverage, and interest should soar. Don't limit it to the major gamesites either, just go for any site which could have any kind of interest in this game.

Obviously interviews and such would be good too, but probably more difficult, since it would require the precious time of a dev team member.

To clarify: It's not really a community boost we're looking for. Since we're still some time away from release, it's not a larger fanbase we need, as such. What we're looking for is spreading the word for the purpose of attracting new team members and talent. So sites which deal with gaming *and* game development are interesting to us.

Though that does of course not mean that we don't want to have any fans at all at this point :) More that we don't have that much to give them/you just yet. (Though there are enough things on this site to keep anyone occupied for a long time, esp. the History articles :) :) )

To clarify: It's not really a community boost we're looking for. Since we're still some time away from release, it's not a larger fanbase we need, as such. What we're looking for is spreading the word for the purpose of attracting new team members and talent. So sites which deal with gaming *and* game development are interesting to us.
(this was not thought up by me) how 'bout hosting a "trainee" team to help people hone their skills and help the mod.

I'd have thought that the larger the fanbase was, the more potential team-members you could have, but if you're just looking for people with expertise, then sites like gamedev.net would be the places to show this off. Which is convenient, because that's much easier to do than getting a game advertised on fileplanet.

Edited by Fred187

They are saying they don't want to attract fans at this point - only people that want to work on the game.

Can't say I agree with that approach - but I believe that is the intent.

Looks like Ancient Wars: Sparta is even a bigger disappointment then Rise and Fall was - so unless this rumor about an AOE1 remake is actually true (which it isn't) - amazingly - 0 AD is now in the cat bird seat.

But I've learned long ago that in 0AD time - 3 years means 10...(cue the moderator to lock the thread)

They are saying they don't want to attract fans at this point - only people that want to work on the game.

Can't say I agree with that approach - but I believe that is the intent.

Looks like Ancient Wars: Sparta is even a bigger disappointment then Rise and Fall was - so unless this rumor about an AOE1 remake is actually true (which it isn't) - amazingly - 0 AD is now in the cat bird seat.

But I've learned long ago that in 0AD time - 3 years means 10...(cue the moderator to lock the thread)

They're saying they don't want more people who don't (and in most cases can't) do anything but talk on the forums. Example: me. I'd help but I'd help but I'd just get in the way, I have no skills apart from 3dsmax. And i can't even remember that. most people would help if they could but they're asking for a skilled veteran, not an amateur who learns on the job.

Many people who play RTS like TW are going to be interested. Wouldn't it be good to promote your game on their site's.

Prabably not a great idea; most commercial developers don't want to advertise a free alternative to their game on their own site, or for anyone else to. Maybe a TW fansite would be ok, but there probably won't be many experienced developers there.