Creating Mods & Games...

Vallon

Hi! I'm new to the world of modding/programming, and I haven't created anything of my own yet...but after seeing this game-in-progress and many mods, i'm kinda inspired to try my hand at it. I know absolutely jack about triggers and programming AI and graphics and all that... but I do have quite a few ideas for some good scenarios and perhaps even total conversion projects/games...

Anyhow, the main reason i'm posting is that I'd like to check out other mods/games... the more I see, the more I learn and the more ideas I get for my own stuff...

So if you guys could show me some really cool and interesting mods/games I'd love to check them out...

I'm particularly interested in Arthurian related stuff...

so if anyone can help, that would be greatly appreciated...

Again, i'm new to all of this... but i'd like contribute and learn some stuff so I can create my own mods/games...

thanx

--vallon

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, whatever Arthurian or whatever it was is .. :P

Anyway, i am the project leader on the first 0ad mod ever. Its not officially in development yet, but it is unofficial .. :P

Anyway, the first you gotta do is getting some members into the modding team, so you can discuss the ideas with them. Then you got to get a game to mod, and then start planning. After most of the plans are made, make A LOT of sketches... :P and then start modelling, adding, fixing and all that stuff!

We are in a need for Scenario makers, and AI maker on our modding team, so you might contact me, if you want to join it, or just wanna chat: zezar_88@hotmail.com :) !!

I could do some scenario design to, at least I know how to work with the AoM editor, I hope I can that to with the 0AD one

hmm, oki. You know my MSN, so just tell me, or post in the Viking Mod forum at the forum, you know what i mean :P !

Hmm, i dont really know if its the first, but i say so :)

And its brings some attention sometimes, saying it.

Is there any other known real 0ad mod??

will it be the first released?

Thats pretty sure yeh. Off course, small one caracter mods and tha stuff will probably come first, because of all the data and stuff we have to do before we can release it, but since we are allready working on some models, and the website + all the planning, im pretty sure this will be the first mod, that is actually adding 1+ civs :P !!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nah, the 0AD will most likely be like the "0AD Editor" :D It's a class of it's own, I don't think it should be compared to another game's editor. However, if you're familiar with AoK or AoM's editor, or Empire Earth's editor, then you'll be fine.

Ah, I haven't actually shown any Editor Technical concepts to the public yet, I just remembered.

Meh, you guys want some new material from us, right? :D

Here's a taste of what you can expect.

terrain-menu-concept-diagra.gif

I can't emphasize enough that things are so massivly subject to change that you shouldn't trust what you see in that concept at all - it's just an idea of "what we're aiming for". Oh, and this was made 6 months ago for those of you wondering.

This is one of the 30 (and counting) concepts that are part of the Scenario Editor Document - which is 17,000 words long (900 paragraphs - 51 pages at size 9 font in Word), which is part of the Technical Design Document, which is something like 250,000 words :D Yeah, there's alot of written work here.

Hmm, i dont really know if its the first, but i say so :D

And its brings some attention sometimes, saying it.

Is there any other known real 0ad mod??

will it be the first released?

Thats pretty sure yeh. Off course, small one caracter mods and tha stuff will probably come first, because of all the data and stuff we have to do before we can release it, but since we are allready working on some models, and the website + all the planning, im pretty sure this will be the first mod, that is actually adding 1+ civs :P !!

I would think about moving KoM to 0ad but I'm not sure if I want to go through all the work of redoing the game design. And in the end it's about what type of team you can make and if they will do work/stay on.

Also I'm shying away from RTS work. Not much support in modding communities now-a-days :D

If you're making your own units and buildings, then 0AD would be a good choice for the mod.

However, you'd best wait it out abit until it this game looks more solid and has a clearly image of whether it'll finish or not. :D Making an entire game is 20 times more work than making a total conversion mod, that's for sure.