Fight scene from 300 anyone?

Went and saw 300 last night. Packed theatre and it was worth buying tickets early.

Review: Great movie, not a masterpiece, but definately one that you will watch again and again on DVD.

The Good:

- Action is well done and gets the adrenaline pumping.

- Xerxes was quite imposing as the villian. A little metrosexual in his appearance (to put it mildly), but there was no doubt as to the power he exuded.

- The warrior spirit was quite admirably captured in the film.

- In the same vein that sense of predatory delight in killing made the Spartans something less than good guys, in a shady grey area where anti-hero is perhaps the kindest title. In many ways they were just as bad as the Persians.

The Bad:

- Although the Persians are supposed to be the badguys, in a way I was cheering for them, simply because they were slandered in this movie. They were made to be animals (quite literally) and capable of neither reason nor intelligence.

- The fantasy creatures got to be a bit much after a while. Such as the Immortals having clawed feet and looking like Orcs, or the Persian "magicians" with their hand grenades.

It is a good movie, not without its flaws, which as a student of history I am unable to completely overlook. The Persians are made out to be soulless conquerors who simply kill everyone they don't literally walk on, a description far more fitting to the ancient Spartans than the Persians. As a dramatic retelling of an ancient event it does succeed in raising the Battle of Thermopylae to the level of myth, in which case the creatures make sense coming from a master storyteller demonizing the enemy to make the Spartans at Plataea fight harder.

Although there are movies with better stories out there, I enjoyed the movie on a pure action level. It is certainly worth seeing on the big screen and I will be sure to get it on DVD.

8 out of 10

Went and saw 300 last night. Packed theatre and it was worth buying tickets early.

Review: Great movie, not a masterpiece, but definately one that you will watch again and again on DVD.

The Good:

- Action is well done and gets the adrenaline pumping.

- Xerxes was quite imposing as the villian. A little metrosexual in his appearance (to put it mildly), but there was no doubt as to the power he exuded.

- The warrior spirit was quite admirably captured in the film.

- In the same vein that sense of predatory delight in killing made the Spartans something less than good guys, in a shady grey area where anti-hero is perhaps the kindest title. In many ways they were just as bad as the Persians.

The Bad:

- Although the Persians are supposed to be the badguys, in a way I was cheering for them, simply because they were slandered in this movie. They were made to be animals (quite literally) and capable of neither reason nor intelligence.

- The fantasy creatures got to be a bit much after a while. Such as the Immortals having clawed feet and looking like Orcs, or the Persian "magicians" with their hand grenades.

It is a good movie, not without its flaws, which as a student of history I am unable to completely overlook. The Persians are made out to be soulless conquerors who simply kill everyone they don't literally walk on, a description far more fitting to the ancient Spartans than the Persians. As a dramatic retelling of an ancient event it does succeed in raising the Battle of Thermopylae to the level of myth, in which case the creatures make sense coming from a master storyteller demonizing the enemy to make the Spartans at Plataea fight harder.

Although there are movies with better stories out there, I enjoyed the movie on a pure action level. It is certainly worth seeing on the big screen and I will be sure to get it on DVD.

8 out of 10

Whoa! Awesome! But I've got a question, who is that big greyish Persian giant?

The Persian giant is an Immortal who is apparantly so dangerous that he is kept in chains, only to be released once battle has commenced. Once he is freed of his bonds, he proceeds to attack anyone in his way, mostly Spartans, but he also turns on at least one of his own comrades in the course of the melee. Leonidas has quite the bloody fight with this "gentleman".

Heheh, I love the Streets of Rage serious... serious nostalgia. :) Something very retro gaming about 300, which may explain another reason why I've been looking forward to it so much.

Anyway, it's not released for another month or so in Australia... so I'm going to organize a date to go see it, maybe with a few mates. Should be a lot of fun. Thanks for the reviews!

Oh! A question. Are the Thespians in it? There's a page dedicated to their sacrifice in the comic, so I hope they're given respect in the movie, otherwise I'll be a little disappointed. I actually liked the designs of the allied Greeks in the comic more than the Spartans.

Edited by FirePowa8

• 2 weeks later...