0 A.D's Built-in Encyclopedia

Lion.Kanzen

1 hour ago, s0600204 said:

Unsurprising. I'm a little busy at the moment with work, but I'll look into it when I get time.

@ShadowOfHassen, hyperion's suggestion of working on top of a fork of 0ad.git is what I do for my two mods listed on mod.io.

The script he provided (which works roughly the same as the script I wrote and use for the same task on my computer) detects which files have been altered, which means the output mod file will only contain files that have been modified by your commits.

The script also supports auto-marking files that should be "deleted" (read: ignored) from mods that appear above it in the in-game mod list. As what you're attempting to do is modify not remove templates, this feature is probably not one you'll be using.

@s0600204 Thanks for the explanation, and I'd really be happy if you could get that advanced UI working and merged to A 27 it'd make the in game help viewer so much better and our work on the encyclopedia better.

I'll fork and Pr 0 A.D.'s branch every time we finish a civilization and add the changed files in slow, reasonable comments. In the meantime, we'll use my repository, so we can track the sources without long, complicated forum threads. (And beside's I've already gotten it set up.)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

I am new to git and coding, so, sorry.

No need to apologize. Maybe one needs to first run into an issue to appreciate another solution. I just suggest to try early to create a mod and patch against vanilla 0ad to see what it entails before spending lots of time on other details.

Good luck.

It is necessary to add the name of the capitals and largest cities of each nation, otherwise few people even know that Seleucia is not Syrian Damascus, but Antioch.;) So that people at least understand where it is and where all the action takes place. And throw some map into the encyclopedia.:laugh:

indochina.jpgdeccan.jpgborneo.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPjBZOh3WNFvZV5A4aIIU

Edited by Delfador

7 hours ago, Delfador said:

It is necessary to add the name of the capitals and largest cities of each nation, otherwise few people even know that Seleucia is not Syrian Damascus, but Antioch.;) So that people at least understand where it is and where all the action takes place. And throw some map into the encyclopedia.:laugh:

indochina.jpgdeccan.jpgborneo.jpgimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcQPjBZOh3WNFvZV5A4aIIU

I don't know if you can add images to the encyclopedia. I'd love to be able too, however.

@Genava55 I'm sure this will take longer than a summer, so afterward you are more than welcome to review and/or contribute.

• Like 1

So one issue however with Spartans at least is that after Lycurgus reformed them no other Greek country would trade with them. They had iron money. Trading wouldn't be a big part of their economy.

I think we should let them still have markets (but maybe add a penalty.)  However, the reason I am saying this on this thread is, What do we do when gameplay has made some parts of the game 100% accurate? I think we should just acknowledge where the game isn't accurate.

For example. I am thinking of saying in the merchants/markets something like: "Sparta really wasn't known for its trading Lycurgus, Sparta's lawgiver, removed their currency and replaced it with iron coins soaked in vinegar..." I think you get the point. (By the way, I'll do Sparta's merchant's and Market)

Also, I think the civilization overview's should be rewritten to add a bit more information on the civilizations. I think the Helots should be at least mentioned in Sparta's

• Like 1

Ok, so here's a biggie. ALL THE TREES IN 0 A.D.!!!!!

https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/5

You don't need to know history to look over these or even trees, just people looking for typos would be great! In the history parts, we don't only need fact-checkers, but also extra eyes to see if they are any typos. If you don't want a GitHub account and find a typo, you can contact me or post the issue here and I will fix it.

It's huge with 85 some kinds of trees. I also found a few issues and suggestions and questions. I don't know who to ask/tell  @Stan` you're the project leader, so maybe you would know.

First a feature request (to add to my other feature requests) formatting like italics and bold.

Next the problems.

There is a tree file called the Lombardi poplar, however it's in game name is the black poplar. Calling it black poplar might be on purpose because the Lombardi poplar wasn't around until the 1700s.

Finally, the biggest problem. We are missing the Larch. We need a Larch tree, because I wanted to do a Monty Python reference in the description, I was very disappointed.

Also, how do you think these encyclopedia articles should be implemented into the main game, should I PR them into mainstream when we finish a section/civilization or wait until we're all done? I'm honestly thinking we put them in after each civilization and if someone worked on animals or trees it just goes in after the latest civilization.

3 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Wow.

@nani thanks, for showing this to me.

@Sundiata this looks extremely well researched and written. Would you be willing to help spearhead the Kushite encyclopedia entries? If not, I am certain that we'll use your work as a jumping off point for them.

@Sundiata has been offline for a long time since before the pandemic.