0 A.D's Built-in Encyclopedia

Lion.Kanzen

I added fish.

Another thing we should say is please just don't copy off Wikipedia. You can use Wikipedia for some of your sources but try not to just copy word for word. Use the report lessons you learned in school.

Also I'm writing without talking about modern time. I think we should make that a style rule.

Also another rule should be unbiased history (but I don't think that'll be a problem)

If no one object's I'll put those rules in a RULES file in the repository.

Also I make a move we start on a single civilization write all their unit's  out so their entries can somewhat build on each other (but also be stand alone)

I think we should start with Sparta.

@wowgetoffyourcellphone

I heard you were part of the dev team a while ago. Do you have any secret forum history research for the units that we could use to jump-start our research?

5 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Also I make a move we start on a single civilization write all their unit's  out so their entries can somewhat build on each other (but also be stand alone)

I think we should start with Sparta.

There are some rules here: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/EnglishStyleGuide

@wowgetoffyourcellphone

I heard you were part of the dev team a while ago. Do you have any secret forum history research for the units that we could use to jump-start our research?

You can use the files from here https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/19960

• Like 1

Not all publishers like to have their book content retelled. I think the city library would be the best option for non-copyrighted content. Although the laws of many countries allow you to quote the text for informational purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadeusz_Stefan_Zieliński

He has excellent books on Rome, Macedonia, the Ptolemies, the Seleucids, Epirus and Syracuse (probably). But it was hardly published in English...

8 hours ago, Delfador said:

Not all publishers like to have their book content retelled. I think the city library would be the best option for non-copyrighted content. Although the laws of many countries allow you to quote the text for informational purposes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadeusz_Stefan_Zieliński

He has excellent books on Rome, Macedonia, the Ptolemies, the Seleucids, Epirus and Syracuse (probably). But it was hardly published in English...

Publishers don't own the information. So if we use multiple sources and don't copy and paste it word for word, we'll be good.

I was planning on writing from memory stuff about Spartans.

Another thought was that we should use first-hand sources like Plutarch or Herodotus.

11 hours ago, Stan` said:

There are some rules here: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/EnglishStyleGuide

You can use the files from here https://trac.wildfiregames.com/changeset/19960

I'll add the style guide to the repo.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, s0600204 said:

See also:

Thanks.

I noticed that the mod adds some improvements to the tooltips. Would you be willing to update the GUI parts into the mod, so we can all benefit from cool tabbing into the game? It would make it a lot better.

So yeah, the giant elephant in the room is translating. However, it isn't as if the game breaks if the things are translated. If we get the encyclopedia into tip-top shape, the translators will have to do it once and then will be able to never have to do it again.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

So what do we do the xml.cached.xmb files? I'm assuming we can just leave them and if we run pyrogenisis they'll be recompiled with the new xml.

You should not commit them. They are cache files generated by the engine, but it can lead to weird bugs if you have both the ones in your mod and the one in your cache.

They will also be generated and packaged in your mod when you run the archive builder.

3 minutes ago, Stan` said:

You should not commit them. They are cache files generated by the engine, but it can lead to weird bugs if you have both the ones in your mod and the one in your cache.

They will also be generated and packaged in your mod when you run the archive builder.

I deleted them all. Thanks

So I think we can use some of the old encyclopedia entries as springboards, but I don't think they should be used in the new version.

Also, I think we could expand the civilization overview.

Finally, looking at Sparta there are some gameplay elements that don't add up to history, namely the markets. Sparta after their reforms didn't really trade because they had iron currency. I don't think that's a big issue, we can just mention that in the market encyclopedia!

22 hours ago, s0600204 said:

See also:

@s0600204, I noticed in your mod you didn't have all the XML files for the units, only some. Is there a reason for that, and should I do the same with the encyclopedia?

23 hours ago, s0600204 said:

Has 0ad=0.0.26

Running it in A27 it throws no errors, but there are some obvious bugs; also bugs the game (with no error codes). Interesting to look at though and think about how it could be.

1 hour ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Is there a way I can get tabs in the history tags? I'm working on a three paragraph entry on spartan women, and it looks really bad without tabs.

You need 2 line returns

<History>History stuff goes here. 

Ipso Facto.</History>

->

History stuff goes here. 

Ipso Facto.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone

9 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

<History>History stuff goes here. 

Ipso Facto.</History>

Thanks. I've decided that because we have different kinds of editors and that I couldn't get \t to work, and that I didn't see something about it in the style guide, that our tab will be four spaces long and that the history tags should to be in different lines than the text.

Also, did anyone see that Plutarch and Herodotus are on project Gutenberg? I'm sure there are better translations out, It'd be cool if we could use a lot of references from primary sources.

Edited by ShadowOfHassen
Update

So I set up the repository, so I have to PR and not just push things. Could you all review my pull request? It's Here: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/1 It needs history fact checked, and it needs to be checked for typos/ grammar.

I'd prefer if you gave your reviews on GitHub, You might want to post your Github username here however, so I know who you are.

@Thorfinn the Shallow Minded, @Genava55 I saw you are community historians. Could you help review history?

9 hours ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Could you all review my pull request? It's Here: https://github.com/TheShadowOfHassen/0-ad-history-encyclopedia-mod/pull/1

Can't say anything about the content but suggest rethinking the setup.

My suggestion is fork the 0ad/0ad repo, create a branch maybe based on the tag A26. Then edit binaries/data/mods/public directly. This makes it much simpler to port the changes to 0ad vanilla. Also you can rebase your changes to a different version easily like when A27 gets released.

Generating a mod can be done using a script, just did a minimal port of my shell script to python so it would possibly run on Windows too.

If your branch is based on A26 run the script from the git base directory as

python3 <path to script> A26

pyrogenesis-mod-generator.py

2 minutes ago, hyperion said:

Can't say anything about the content but suggest rethinking the setup.

My suggestion is fork the 0ad/0ad repo, create a branch maybe based on the tag A26. Then edit binaries/data/mods/public directly. This makes it much simpler to port the changes to 0ad vanilla. Also you can rebase your changes to a different version easily like when A27 gets released.

Generating a mod can be done using a script, just did a minimal port of my shell script to python so it would possibly run on Windows too.

If your branch is based on A26 run the script from the git base directory as

python3 <path to script> A26

pyrogenesis-mod-generator.py 1 kB · 0 downloads

Thanks for the script.

I didn't see a 0ad repo link on the entire website. A26 and A27 unit files are not cross compatible in mods, so I think it'd be more work to do it for A26.

I found the git mirror though it's here right? https://github.com/0ad/0ad

We can't just fork the repo because we're also tracking sources, which might not be added in the game. What we can do however is once we get a civilization done, I'll fork and PR it into the main 0 A.D through that git mirror.

13 minutes ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

I found the git mirror though it's here right? https://github.com/0ad/0ad

That one or the one on gitlab.

If you work on a branch you can just

git diff -U5000 A26 > my.patch

and upload it to https://code.wildfiregames.com for review.

This approach also allows you to delete files via mod easily and the mod is much smaller.

Feel free to adopt it or not :D

2 minutes ago, hyperion said:

That one or the one on gitlab.

If you work on a branch you can just

git diff -U5000 A26 > my.patch

and upload it to https://code.wildfiregames.com for review.

This approach also allows you to delete files via mod easily and the mod is much smaller.

Feel free to adopt it or not :D

Delete files Via mod, do you mean your python script? I had a feeling that some of the unit files could be deleted, but I don't know which.

1 minute ago, ShadowOfHassen said:

Delete files Via mod, do you mean your python script? I had a feeling that some of the unit files could be deleted, but I don't know which.

you can replace a file with an empty file and adding .DELETED at the end, this way if you load your mod you can "delete" files in the base mod. This is how you can remove a civ from the game for example via mod.

The script just does this for files you deleted in your git branch, so you don't have to care about anything, just working on the git branch as if you want to submit your changes to vanilla is all you'd have to care about. Generating a mod from it comes then for free.

40 minutes ago, hyperion said:

you can replace a file with an empty file and adding .DELETED at the end, this way if you load your mod you can "delete" files in the base mod. This is how you can remove a civ from the game for example via mod.

The script just does this for files you deleted in your git branch, so you don't have to care about anything, just working on the git branch as if you want to submit your changes to vanilla is all you'd have to care about. Generating a mod from it comes then for free.

I'm not exactly following. If I deleted, say Spartan women and then tried to merge to the normal 0 A.D. wouldn't it (if it was merged) delete spartan women from normal 0 A.D.

I am new to git and coding, so, sorry.

23 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Running it in A27 it throws no errors, but there are some obvious bugs; also bugs the game (with no error codes). Interesting to look at though and think about how it could be.

Unsurprising. I'm a little busy at the moment with work, but I'll look into it when I get time.

@ShadowOfHassen, hyperion's suggestion of working on top of a fork of 0ad.git is what I do for my two mods listed on mod.io.

The script he provided (which works roughly the same as the script I wrote and use for the same task on my computer) detects which files have been altered, which means the output mod file will only contain files that have been modified by your commits.

The script also supports auto-marking files that should be "deleted" (read: ignored) from mods that appear above it in the in-game mod list. As what you're attempting to do is modify not remove templates, this feature is probably not one you'll be using.

• Like 2