0 A.D. League. (2v2)

Hello everyone!

I am pleased to announce an exciting 2v2 competition in the real-time strategy game, 0 A.D. If you're a fan of strategy games and love competing against other players, then this competition is for you.

The competition will be in a team format, with two players on each team. Each team will face off against another in a best-of-one serie. The team that wins will earn 3 points, while the team who loses won't earn any point.

To ensure that all participants have a fair gaming experience, fair play rules will be applied at all times. Players caught cheating or using any type of exploit or hack will be immediately disqualified and reported to 0 A.D. moderators.

All the games will be played at Saturday at 20:00 CET. If there is any game that is not possible to be played at that date, players can play it in any day of the same week.

RULES: 

Map: Mainland , Normal size , Max pop: 200 , Relics: No , Conquest mode.

TEAMS REGISTERED:

- eae Gaming (Stockfish, borg-)

To register to the event, just post an answer to this post with the name of your team and the team members.

We will try to stream the highest rated games.

Sign in open until: 26/05/23 12:00 CET.

Edited by 0 A.D. Tournaments
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Norse_Harold said:
On 10/05/2023 at 10:49 PM, seeh said:

and in a tournament balance doesn't matter matter :)

Right, balance in a tournament kinda-sorta matters, but it doesn't matter matter....

Speaking of balance, why not use the map "Mainland balanced"?

ah i misunderstood. yes the balance of the resources over the map is important. right. i tough its about the balance of the players (that was wired to me).

2 hours ago, MarcusAureliu#s said:

Maybe there should be rules on what mods can be used

That a great question from @MarcusAureliu#s I was also thinking to attend such tournament, but I don't own G.O.A.T credentials (anyone would donate it to me?)

If such rules would be written - how would be enforced, as far as I know there is no such ability at this point of time.

The only way to enforce specific mods to be used - some control checksum of specific control js files would need to be generated and regularly sent to host of the game. 

This way you would avoid "replacing files" on the fly or even putting things to "public mod only" so user would not be spotted in listing of mods.

None of these is implemented - and currently there is no enough workforce to do that.

We can only rely on fairness of players - If i look back to smurfs wall project... we can see it was even hard for players to avoid it (many had different reason some good some questionable)... we can conclude cheating is essential element of the game.  There for maybe 4v4 make more sense.... expecting not everyone will have access to best "tools" 

I truly respect coordinators who put effort to  organize tournaments and anything 0ad related. Why people have such hate against them? Because some people cheats? or setup their environment to get better response etc? The whole world even in financials looking for "better approaches", in the end it leads to addressing issue, innovations -> better lives...

Respect to Stockfish, and disrespect to all haters... Nobody force you to play it...

2 hours ago, G.O.A.T said:

We can only rely on fairness of players - If i look back to smurfs wall project... we can see it was even hard for players to avoid it (many had different reason some good some questionable)... we can conclude cheating is essential element of the game.  There for maybe 4v4 make more sense.... expecting not everyone will have access to best "tools" 

Maybe the Olympics should only have team sports because not every participant has access to top-tier drugs, thus making the game fair. Cheating has been an essential part of sports anyway, so why hate on the swimmers just because they hang onto a water scooter, or runners who decide to ride a motorcycle. You should realize that motorcycles have been known to improve the quality of life in cities with dense traffic.

End of sarcasm. And with no due respect, your post must be the greatest piece of garbage I've ever encountered on the forums. I really lack respect for people who try to defend cheating (using humorously flawed logic, I must add), and I will stand for anyone who gets called a hater for calling out cheaters.

P.S.: Your rule enforcement ideas are useless, which is the real reason why they haven't been implemented. There still are usable methods to detect various types of cheating. The real problem is people like you who try to justify cheating and make it seem like a non-issue.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, G.O.A.T said:

The only way to enforce specific mods to be used - some control checksum of specific control js files would need to be generated and regularly sent to host of the game. 

This way you would avoid "replacing files" on the fly or even putting things to "public mod only" so user would not be spotted in listing of mods.

Sorry to say this solution does not work. One can run any "pre-approved" mod as a subroutine of another mod (or even a modified version of the engine) which emulates checksum generation, for example, sending a pre-computed checksum.

lol kids, pros unzip their public.zip and edit straight away. No mods. 

All those arguments about snipe scripts and autoboom... Let's put it it this way: all such knavish tricks are insignificant in front of a pro player with true skills. 

You can install whatever fancy mod but I will still boom faster than you (but with my cube trees of AbstractGUI of course) ;) 

So these cheat scripts aren't really important. Fish/Irland/FallOut is OP regardless of whether he uses snipe script or not. A nub with some whacky script is still a nub.

Therefore, kids, relax and play! Don't let cheaters scare you away. 

7 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

lol kids, pros unzip their public.zip and edit straight away. No mods.

Congratulations on the third place among people who have said this thing in this thread. Furthermore, you've also won the a special award for naming the exact steps that could help cheaters cheat better.

7 hours ago, Yekaterina said:

All those arguments about snipe scripts and autoboom... Let's put it it this way: all such knavish tricks are insignificant in front of a pro player with true skills. 

You can install whatever fancy mod but I will still boom faster than you (but with my cube trees of AbstractGUI of course) ;) 

So these cheat scripts aren't really important. Fish/Irland/FallOut is OP regardless of whether he uses snipe script or not. A nub with some whacky script is still a nub.

Therefore, kids, relax and play! Don't let cheaters scare you away.

And... I see you are also putting yourself into the group of foolish folks who try to claim that mods don't even make a difference. It's a surprise that this is coming from someone like you, to be honest. It feels like hearing 1900 people bash the novel motor car idea because a horse is always a horse and it won't break down on the way.

I don't even feel like going much deeper into the discussion (and give free ideas to cheaters), because it just seems super obvious. No player can control every unit in every turn independently, but a mod can. Are you going to claim that getting a free 500 of precise APM with possibly no overkill ever is just an insignificant, minor convenience?

I don't really know who the "kid" is here now. I start to suspect that people talking like this might be just those wanting to use a mod to get an unfair advantage themselves, so they can finally be good and go challenge borg- (as long as he is without the mod, that is). It's never been like "Hey, Boudica, I've been testing this new mod that does eco for me, wanna try to play like this?". No. They preferably even create a smurf account and casually ask you to play rated. And this kind of dishonesty is what makes me lose any respect to those. Understand that I'm not scared, it's just contempt.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Boudica said:

Congratulations on the third place among people who have said this thing in this thread. Furthermore, you've also won the a special award for naming the exact steps that could help cheaters cheat better.

And... I see you are also putting yourself into the group of foolish folks who try to claim that mods don't even make a difference. It's a surprise that this is coming from someone like you, to be honest. It feels like hearing 1900 people bash the novel motor car idea because a horse is always a horse and it won't break down on the way.

I don't even feel like going much deeper into the discussion (and give free ideas to cheaters), because it just seems super obvious. No player can control every unit in every turn independently, but a mod can. Are you going to claim that getting a free 500 of precise APM with possibly no overkill ever is just an insignificant, minor convenience?

I don't really know who the "kid" is here now. I start to suspect that people talking like this might be just those wanting to use a mod to get an unfair advantage themselves, so they can finally be good and go challenge borg- (as long as he is without the mod, that is). It's never been like "Hey, Boudica, I've been testing this new mod that does eco for me, wanna try to play like this?". No. They preferably even create a smurf account and casually ask you to play rated. And this kind of dishonesty is what makes me lose any respect to those. Understand that I'm not scared, it's just contempt.

Don't feed the trolls my friend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Boudica said:

Furthermore, you've also won the a special award for naming the exact steps that could help cheaters cheat better.

No. This is standard dev operation. If you want to make any mod for A26, you must unzip the public.zip in order to gain access to the asset files and templates.  I would copy the files away to my mod folder in order to not harm the source code.  A27 svn is not always reliable because there may be changes to file hierarchy and naming, so their templates will cause errors in A26. 

After the unzip, whatever you do is another story.  

2 hours ago, Boudica said:

. Are you going to claim that getting a free 500 of precise APM with possibly no overkill ever is just an insignificant, minor convenience?

I've never heard of any script which can do what you describe.  0AD executes 5 turns per second (less if there is lag) so I really don't see the point of your 500 APM. Plus, a good build order and knowing when to do what is more effective than spam clicking on your units. 

I mentioned "snipe script" to mock JC, who accuses StockFish of using "snipe scripts" whenever he loses to fish. Didn't expect you to fall for the same thing. 

18 minutes ago, Yekaterina said:

No. This is standard dev operation. If you want to make any mod for A26, you must unzip the public.zip in order to gain access to the asset files and templates.  I would copy the files away to my mod folder in order to not harm the source code.

Here we're going a bit off-topic but... this is not standard dev operation.

If you are a modder reading this, please do not follow this recommendation. There are valid guides on the forum explaining how to make mods for the game.

• Thanks 1