Half armor levels?

20 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

When designing units, should units always have discrete armor levels, or is it ok to allow units with "2.5" pierce armor.

in my mind it seems fine to allow half armor levels, but maybe others think differently?

That depends on what we want to do.

What do we want to do?

1 hour ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

When designing units, should units always have discrete armor levels, or is it ok to allow units with "2.5" pierce armor.

in my mind it seems fine to allow half armor levels, but maybe others think differently?

For me, fine. We have other decimal numbers.  

4 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Which is kind of ridiculous too. How granular do we have to get here anyway?

1, 1.5, 2, 2.5

Not sure if you are in favor or not. It seems to me that for some units 1 armor difference is quite a lot, so using .5 makes balancing easier.

If you are curious, I am working on the melee rebalance patch. I will probably show some details in a new topic or in the community mod discussion.

2 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Which is kind of ridiculous too. How granular do we have to get here anyway?

Well when the difference between 1 and 3 is huge then the number system is probably based wrong (if decimals is actually something you care about). My guess is that most people who have a problem with 1.5 health out of 5 wouldn’t have a problem if it was instead called 3 out of 10. Or they would be ok if it was just a graph that never disclosed numbers. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Player of 0AD said:

Mathematically its possible, but its not easy to remember armor levels which are not integer. Using non-integer numbers for armor levels seems to be unnecessarily complicated imho. Just change health a bit?

Yes, I guess thats really the main concern. However, when differentiating units with lower armor, it works pretty well.

The armor I designed for melee cav is this:

spear: 3h 3p

sword: 3h 2.5p

axe: 3h 2p

mace(not in game): 2h 2p