Shorter Domain:

beau

First, Hello everyone!! 

I know it has been ages since the last time I've made a post or really commented on much, 

while this wouldn't be a big improvement, I think it would be an asset.

Overall, 

I love the https://play0ad.com domain

however, I have secured us a nice secondary slim domain 

https://0ad.io.day 

I think could work as a secondary domain, obviously I have to fix where it is pointing as it connects to the Generated Document page

but overall, I like it. 

needless to say, we don't have to use it, I do just because I can type it a little faster when referring people.

My ultimate plan is to secure play0ad.io // 0ad.io one or the other as I feel it will give us a catchier domain for our downloads site. 

Let me know your thoughts, suggestions on an official secondary for https://play0ad.com 

This wouldn't cost the community a dime, 100% covered for and provided for by myself - [AoG]

• Like 2

On 22/03/2023 at 5:25 AM, beau said:

This wouldn't cost the community a dime, 100% covered for and provided for by myself - [AoG]

So you would transfer the domain ownership to Wildfire Games staff, right? It's important for security to have WFG control the domain if you expect to have downloads of the game hosted there. Otherwise there's a risk that malware is, intentionally or unintentionally, sent to users via the site.

• Like 1

So you would transfer the domain ownership to Wildfire Games staff, right? It's important for security to have WFG control the domain if you expect to have downloads of the game hosted there. Otherwise there's a risk that malware is, intentionally or unintentionally, sent to users via the site.

It's a simple redirect, it hosts no files, it simply redirects to our current domain, play0ad.com (which sends it to stans auto-generated page)

If there is malware in the download files, those come directly from WIldFire Games, so that would be a WF problem, would have nothing to do with the domain im providing.

Edited by beau

13 minutes ago, beau said:

It's a simple redirect, it hosts no files, it simply redirects to our current domain, play0ad.com (which sends it to stans auto-generated page)

I appreciate that you have good intentions and are trying to support a non-profit open source organization. So far it doesn't seem like you're making an offer to donate the domain names with no strings attached.

Realize that simple redirects are still not secure, as they can temporarily redirect to malicious sites or inject JavaScript that then modifies HTTP content served by the legitimate site. This can change the links for downloads to malware-containing install files. A way to prevent this risk is if WFG has ownership and control of the domain names.

Edited by Norse_Harold
  • Like 1