Non-random BuildingAI

Evaluating non-random building ai about 1 month into 26.6  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Do you prefer the current community mod (26.6) building arrows to a26 building arrows?

• yes
    • no
    • I could go either way
  2. 2. The civic center arrows are too strong against rushes when garrisoned

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Sentry towers are too strong against rushes

• yes
    • no
  4. 4. Turtling is too strong because of non-random buildingAI

• yes
    • no
  5. 5. Which of the following solutions would you support the most?

• Don't change anything.
    • Reverse the non-random arrows entirely.
    • Balance the CC, Tower, and Fortress arrows.
    • Make buildings shoot at random unless targeted.
    • Make the civic center and fortress shoot at random unless targeted.

43 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Well the idea there is that if the fort helps more with 0 pop garrisoned, then your army would be at a significant advantage over the other army. Having to garrison to get more arrows might be good if you have no other options, but it would be better to actually use your army in an even fight with a fort nearby. Specifically because the fort can immediately get kills, reducing the damage output of the enemy

This is a bit more than just changing BuildingAI. Even still, that seems like a really expensive to basically function as ~3 towers. 

50 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Definitely needs playtesting, but it seems a lot of players in the lobby are interested. Perhaps its best as a community mod branch for the time being.

I'm skeptical, but interested. It's something that is either going to work or fail. 

• Like 1

make the AI dependent on stances and take the best of the two options.

personally, I like how bildingAI works now in terms of its effects on gameplay, and I don't even think rushing next to the cc needs nerfing, but I don't play the game anymore.

If anything, I think units should act more like buildings, not the opposite.

As far as I understand, allowing players to control building arrows would be a much bigger undertaking than the simple behavior change I made. I agree that adding it as it is now puts siege towers and ships in an awkward spot in terms of game design. Perhaps this behavior can fully debut for buildings alongside @wowgetoffyourcellphone's ship rework and allowing siege towers to have a capture attack. That way the behaviors for buildings, ships, and siege towers are all logical and differentiated at the same time.

So, adding it to the community mod makes perfect sense to me.

@BreakfastBurrito_007 what exploits are concerning to you?

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce

On 11/03/2023 at 11:22 PM, real_tabasco_sauce said:

As far as I understand, allowing players to control building arrows would be a much bigger undertaking than the simple behavior change I made.

One could create a component like UnitAI using the same interface that would redirect the commands to BuildingAI, but do nothing else. This way you get ship behavior for them. But yeah that's some work.

11 hours ago, Stan` said:

One could create a component like UnitAI using the same interface that would redirect the commands to BuildingAI, but do nothing else. This way you get ship behavior for them. But yeah that's some work.

The ship behavior might not be bad with the simpler approach. I might do some tests.

2 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I guess one of the main issues would be discerning between rally point location (ie degarrison to attack an enemy) versus for the building to actually attack that unit.

I imagine players wouldn't want to lose the ability to degarrison "onto" an enemy unit with an attack command.

Don't you have the same issue with ships?

1 hour ago, Stan` said:

Don't you have the same issue with ships?

Which do you mean?

1) currently in a26,

2) with the current proposal, or

3) with added user input to buildingAI arrows?

I guess technically it is true for all of the above lol

The thing is, players absolutely want to be able to degarrison their swords directly onto rams.

Perhaps there will need to be some function(s) to distinguish building (or ship or siege tower) attack input from rally point input. @wowgetoffyourcellphone this will probably be needed for ships if they should function as units and as transport (unless transport is only as a non-fighting transport ship).

For buildings, the default right click could be rally point and some hotkey (maybe force attack) could be used to target a unit in range. For ships and siege engines, IDK: maybe the same, or maybe the default should be attack, with some modifier to set the rally point.

27 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Which do you mean?

1) currently in a26,

2) with the current proposal, or

3) with added user input to buildingAI arrows?

I guess technically it is true for all of the above lol

The thing is, players absolutely want to be able to degarrison their swords directly onto rams.

Perhaps there will need to be some function(s) to distinguish building (or ship or siege tower) attack input from rally point input. @wowgetoffyourcellphone this will probably be needed for ships if they should function as units and as transport (unless transport is only as a non-fighting transport ship).

For buildings, the default right click could be rally point and some hotkey (maybe force attack) could be used to target a unit in range. For ships and siege engines, IDK: maybe the same, or maybe the default should be attack, with some modifier to set the rally point.

Just do it how they do it in Age of Empires. no need to reinvent the wheel or require hotkeys.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Just do it how they do it in Age of Empires. no need to reinvent the wheel or require hotkeys.

I'm not familiar. Is it degarrison unit and unit for the building to attack are the same? I guess that would be pretty logical, and no need for extra confusing hotkeys.

is someone familiar with preference values from GetPreference() in Attack.js?

It's not clear if values are ascending with increased priority or descending.

image.thumb.png.353295dffcea08f0b2c55600ea85f3da.png

For instance, my guess is that a tower with a preference class of ['Human'] will give humans a preference of 0 and anything else a preference of 1, but maybe this is wrong.

On 07/03/2023 at 2:26 PM, Helicity said:

It would be favourable for towers to focus fire on 1 unit and killing it before moving on to the next unit, as this would weaken the enemy units quicker. In addition, I think sentry towers need some hard 3x counter against archer cavalry, as these archer cavalry units are currently impossible to counter in phase 2 for non-archer civilizations.

3x is very exaggerated.

2 hours ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

It seems to me that if the preferred class length is 1 (['Humans']), then the only possible preference value is 0 or undefined, where humans get 0 and anything else gets undefined.

yep, this is the case, and I was able to figure out the issue. I guess thinking out loud helps lol.

https://gitlab.com/real_tabasco_sauce/0-a-d-community-mod-unit-specific-upgrades/-/compare/main...buildingai2?from_project_id=36954588&straight=false

It will need to be rebased when the a27 community mod is live, but this is the branch for building arrows.

My hope is that in the first release, it can be merged alongside unit upgrades (https://gitlab.com/real_tabasco_sauce/0-a-d-community-mod-unit-specific-upgrades/-/compare/main...unit_upgrades?from_project_id=36954588&straight=false) and a melee damage and armor adjustment.

These three would be pretty big changes, but the idea is they need long term playtesting and any necessary adjustments can be made in following community mod versions.