Discussion - Garrison effects

sternstaub

this topic is kind of inspired by : 

caution: may contain naive assumptions.

The general idea behind the topic could be abstracted and applied to other buildings, right? We already have building garrison effects in many cases, like for the arrow count or for the capture points regeneration. Also, the trickle effect exists already for the wonders. 

So, that is that. But because i am still not very familiar with the game design and how it works, i wondered: 

- would this kind of addition to the game be easy to make (without screwing performance)? it seems important to know whether such an endavour can be done easily so that i can see how priorities are set in the development process of 0ad; how things are done, and why they are done that way.
- how well would it scale if there really were to be trickle effects to - let's assume an extreme case - every building a player has? i mean, the wonder tickle is per design maximum 1 building per player. if corral had trickle, there might be 20 buildings per player which have such effect.

Furthermore, it would be cool if you would state your general opinion about building trickle effects and whether you think they could "become a thing" someday. This topic was initially inspired by the thought of having garrisoned priests in a temple buff the healing aura of the building. (not sure by which means the aura is connected and affected by the building).

Another possibility might be a building speed aura for the CC if women are garrisoned (player probably defending and thus not farming). Perhaps there are many possible implementations for this. If, for instance, i wanted to mod the game to be more anno-like (...taking the thought quite far here), there could be a speedup effect for "productive buildings" if more workers are garrisoned.

Already wrote too much. Wanted to listen and read more. As mentioned, your opinions and thoughts on this are welcome here :)  

cheers

Edited by sternstaub
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sternstaub said:

Another possibility might be a building speed aura for the CC if women are garrisoned (player probably defending and thus not farming). Perhaps there are many possible implementations for this. If, for instance, i wanted to mod the game to be more anno-like (...taking the thought quite far here), there could be a speedup effect for "productive buildings" if more workers are garrisoned.

Sounds interesting.

On 19/02/2023 at 11:06 PM, Gurken Khan said:

tickle-monster.jpg.829de3fa2172a3f6cc0f9f43be491d46.jpg

SCNR

Apart from that I don't really have an opinion on additional trickle effects. Could be ok I guess, but I'm also fine with only a few buildings having them.

ooops... my brain derived the word from "tick", like in server ticks :omg:

14 hours ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Speaking of effects, I would like visual effects like particle type and when pressing so see an icon on some effect on the building.

I saw these particle effects in Delenda Est.

This looks like a nice indicator, so that the player can see the strength and frequency of such tRickle effects. You successfully registered it into my brain :) 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/02/2023 at 9:00 PM, Lion.Kanzen said:

Speaking of effects, I would like visual effects like particle type and when pressing so see an icon on some effect on the building.

I saw these particle effects in Delenda Est.

wow. the game could already use these for a lot of things, like loot, promktion, and also gather and trade.

btw loot is such a needless part of the game, we should remove it.