Implement Shiny menu (modified slightly by me) as the default pregame page?

This shiny menu mod presents a clean menu that is friendly to both new players and hardcore lobby players:

image.thumb.png.b73357a52073125455fe9380f164bac2.png

I made a few modifications and would like to recommend the devs to implement this as the default menu for 0ad. Of course, the art team can place some beautiful wallpapers instead of the pure black background, this is just an idea.

The advantages of this over the default menu are:

• Very obvious which button to press. The important ones are large and easy to see; there is no waste of space.
  • If someone has a scaling problem it would be a lot easier to adjust on this than the default menu we currently have.
  • All features are laid out nicely so everything is a lot easier to access, especially enabling / disabling mods. It would be even better if we can enable community mod with just one click.
  • I changed a few labels and made the lobby accessible in one click.
  • We don't have to obscure out a large section of the wallpaper with the stone tile.

@Stan` any comments?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I like the overall layout a lot and I think it adopts a more modern style of menu design.  Do you know how well the placement of "Learn to play, AI and Lan, Multiplayer" works with the existing backgrounds?

Not sure if those buttons would awkwardly block parts of the background or not (i.e. beheading a hoplite in the spartan background). Perhaps there is an optimized location that works well enough with all the backgrounds?

1 minute ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

Not sure if those buttons would awkwardly block parts of the background or not (i.e. beheading a hoplite in the spartan background). Perhaps there is an optimized location that works well enough with all the backgrounds?

I think the current backgrounds are designed for the original menu, as they are all complete views. However, the default wallpaper for Shiny menu is well designed for it so we can just enable it. Nothing is final so far.