Indian palace still looks like bus station.

Akira Kurosawa

Hello again! Indian palace still looks like bus station. I hope devs will do something with that, because it's horrible and it originally was the part of wall. I also ask you to check walls of chinese fortress. Their texture is ridiculously thin and from the side it looks as if they are made of paper. I hope you will do something with these things before the new alpha.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, Radament said:

Hello again! Indian palace still looks like bus station. I hope devs will do something with that, because it's horrible and it originally was the part of wall. I also ask you to check walls of chinese fortress. Their texture is ridiculously thin and from the side it looks as if they are made of paper. I hope you will do something with these things before the new alpha.

Tip: In a 100% voluntary, non-profit project, I don't think this is the best approach.

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Radament said:

bus station

Isn't the opening poster the same guy as @Stitch from the related thread? If so, a critique of the image attachments:

On 05/08/2022 at 12:21 AM, Stitch said:

Have you ever seen such thin and such small palaces? Maybe it should be renamed? I can't even imagine those ancient Hindus who decided to use such small buildings for their palaces.

Hide contents

456456546.png.0e17a764953d5f804b7043e0996160f8.png

Hide contents

67854.png.acfaedd43bcb811fe083102500736bc6.png

Hide contents

456456546.png.c1b88e54fbbb4c1168ed52af8260fd96.png

Hide contents

456456546.png.9f91d7cbd711f65fe7682e39a1f5d0d6.png

The first two images are actually part of the Great Chaitya (Buddhist sanctuary or hall) inside Karla Caves, Maharashtra, which doesn't appear palace-like at all. Third is a generic chaitya and vihāra (Buddhist monastery) based on one from an unknown location. For the fourth, seeing a handful of temples alongside the Great Stupa, but where's the so-called "palace"? Good luck finding any good art or images for Pataliputra...

Edited by Carltonus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 09/02/2023 at 8:27 PM, Carltonus said:

Good luck finding any good art or images for Pataliputra...

Why don't your graphic designers adopt the experience of the Age of Empires and "compose" a normal Indian palace from fragments of Indian architecture typical of that place and time? That's what those black and white shots and sketches were added for. This is the first. Secondly, I find the area of "unique buildings" too varied. Why not rebuild all "unique buildings" so that they occupy some standard area for all nations?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Radament said:

Why don't your graphic designers adopt the experience of the Age of Empires and "compose" a normal Indian palace from fragments of Indian architecture typical of that place and time? That's what those black and white shots and sketches were added for. This is the first. Secondly, I find the area of "unique buildings" too varied. Why not rebuild all "unique buildings" so that they occupy some standard area for all nations?

that's what we do when we don't have specific data on a building like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Bulandi Bagh is an area of the archaeological site of Pataliputra (north of railway station of the modern city of Patna). It is mainly known for the discovery of the monumental Pataliputra capital, unearthed in 1895 by L.A. Waddell, as well as the excavation of wooden palissades thought to have formed the protective walls of ancient Pataliputra. Bulandhi Bagh is thought to have been part of the Maurya dynasty royal palace in Pataliputra. [1 

https://www.quora.com/Why-cant-we-see-any-remains-of-the-ancient-palaces-of-Ashoka-or-Chandragupta-Maurya

find out a little more thanks to my references.

I found what a courtyard of a Maurya palace looks like.Screenshot_20230224-001022.png.17341a0b25fa203618eb6e3c6fa7c8dc.png

Very similar to the Greek style.(structurally) an Peristyle.

Screenshot_20230224-000822.png.4657ed20a040e63b70eed5043afcd08b.pngScreenshot_20230224-000805.png.6d79f88bcba38ac7d820fd5038c148a4.png

This architecture but more decorated is shared by the Kushans.As in the images above.(previous posts).

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

24 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

find out a little more thanks to my references.

I found what a courtyard of a Maurya palace looks like.Screenshot_20230224-001022.png.17341a0b25fa203618eb6e3c6fa7c8dc.png

Very similar to the Greek style.(structurally) an Peristyle.

Screenshot_20230224-000822.png.4657ed20a040e63b70eed5043afcd08b.pngScreenshot_20230224-000805.png.6d79f88bcba38ac7d820fd5038c148a4.png

This architecture but more decorated is shared by the Kushans.As in the images above.(previous posts).

Palaces: Greek historian, Megasthenes, described the palaces of the Mauryan empire as one of the greatest creations of mankind and Chinese traveler Fa Hien called Mauryan palaces as god gifted monuments.

Persian Influence: The palace of Chandragupta Maurya was inspired by the Achaemenid palaces at Persepolis in Iran.

Material Used: Wood was the principal building material used during the Mauryan Empire.

Examples: The Mauryan capital at Pataliputra, Ashoka’s palace at Kumrahar, Chandragupta Maurya’s palace.

Pillars: Ashoka pillars, (usually made of chunar sandstone), as a symbol of the state, assumed a great significance in the entire Mauryan Empire.

Assembly Hall of 80 Pillars: The Mauryan pillared hall at Kumrahar was brought to light in the excavations of 1912-15, conducted by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) under D. B. Spooner, aided by Sir Ratan Tata. The excavation traced 72 pits of ash and rubble on the site that marked the position where the pillars must have stood. Further excavations in 1951-55 exposed 8 more such pits, including 4 belonging to the entrance or porch, giving the hall its present name of the “Assembly Hall of 80 pillars”. All the pillars were made of black spotted buff sandstone monoliths with a lustrous shine typical of the Mauryan period. Given its nature, the hall has been assigned as the palace of King Ashoka, audience hall, throne room of Mauryas, a pleasure hall or the conference hall of the third Buddhist council held in 3rd Century BC during the reign of Ashoka. Amazingly, out of the 80 pillars excavated at the site, only one remains.

https://www.indianetzone.com/70/relics_kumhrar.htm

Edited by Lion.Kanzen

19 minutes ago, Lion.Kanzen said:

Assembly Hall of 80 Pillars: The Mauryan pillared hall at Kumrahar was brought to light in the excavations of 1912-15, conducted by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) under D. B. Spooner, aided by Sir Ratan Tata. The excavation traced 72 pits of ash and rubble on the site that marked the position where the pillars must have stood. Further excavations in 1951-55 exposed 8 more such pits, including 4 belonging to the entrance or porch, giving the hall its present name of the “Assembly Hall of 80 pillars”. All the pillars were made of black spotted buff sandstone monoliths with a lustrous shine typical of the Mauryan period. Given its nature, the hall has been assigned as the palace of King Ashoka, audience hall, throne room of Mauryas, a pleasure hall or the conference hall of the third Buddhist council held in 3rd Century BC during the reign of Ashoka. Amazingly, out of the 80 pillars excavated at the site, only one remains.

https://www.indianetzone.com/70/relics_kumhrar.htm

Achaemenid influence has also been noted, especially in relation to the general shape, and the capital has been called a "Persianizing capital, complete with stepped impost, side volutes and central palmettes", which may be the result of the formative influence of craftsmen from Persia following the disintegration of the Achaemenid Empire after the conquests of Alexander the Great.[17] Some authors have remarked that the architecture of the city of Pataliputra seems to have had many similarities with Persian cities of the period.[18]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pataliputra_capital

Edited by Lion.Kanzen