huge logs? (maybe auto delete)

40 minutes ago, sternstaub said:

Hello friends,

is it normal for the logfile to exceed 10GB in size within a short playing time?

What were u playing? a26? the development version? Using a mod?

I had my mainlog balloon some when testing the vulcan backend on mac without the spirv mod. This was accompanied by a small army of pyrogenesis processes that ate up a ton of RAM. My mainlog only got up to like 10mb but if you have a high end computer I could see it going far past that.

Edited by real_tabasco_sauce
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

I had my mainlog balloon some when testing the vulcan backend on mac without the spirv mod. This was accompanied by a small army of pyrogenesis processes that ate up a ton of RAM. My mainlog only got up to like 10mb but if you have a high end computer I could see it going far past that.

That sounds like a valid explanation. I indeed tested a27. Good to know tho that it becomes a balloon, thanks for the information :D.

Just now, Stan` said:

We need to know what's in that file please. @real_tabasco_sauce's error is different.

It was too big to open and i deleted it because there were only 500MB disk space left, sorry :( 

But i recall that it was about the shader backend. There was a wrong value for it in the config and i tried starting the game several times. It was set to "vulkan" instead of "spirv". Probably i set it to "vulkan" myself.

Maybe that was the reason. Oh, and on the error window, i pressed "debug" once or twice ^^'  .

37 minutes ago, sternstaub said:

It was too big to open and i deleted it because there were only 500MB disk space left, sorry :( 

But i recall that it was about the shader backend. There was a wrong value for it in the config and i tried starting the game several times. It was set to "vulkan" instead of "spirv". Probably i set it to "vulkan" myself.

Maybe that was the reason. Oh, and on the error window, i pressed "debug" once or twice ^^'  .

Could you tell us if it happens again?

Step 1:

image.png.d6a43edae55802f37199863af7e0d4f8.png

Step 2:

- start pyrogenesis and await error window
- press "debugger"
- await another error window
- press "debugger" again

Step 3:

image.png.cce8752a40cc1d6e4525061f8654e237.png

image.png.71f2b0e3ab45ae0cc78d4a989a77c860.png

Browser crashes after these lines:

image.png.8e19b53939892e8021c2d288ae770e1a.png

edit: vulkan problem is fixed for me. still would suggest to not have the game generate 50 GiB of a logfile.

Edited by sternstaub

2 hours ago, Stan` said:
rendererbackend = "vulkan"

image.png.5ea45243e4358392c30a01ce5bffe602.png

Are you sure it's not "spirv"?

I deleted all custom config and set the user.cfg to rendererbackend = "glsl". The game started thereafter. Then i went to graphics settings and changed backend on drop down menu to "vulkan". The user.cfg now also says rendererbackend = "vulkan". After i restart, that happens:

image.png.1dad316bda7ec6b4e690a464149b76de.png

log afterwards (now not so big anymore, last lines):
image.png.396b8eef08d7eedc1fbf638698cdcb66.png

Now i set it to "spirv" in the user.cfg, as it says in the source code, and the game starts. It has some weird graphic distortion in the first seconds, but then seems to work. The DropDown Menu is empty now:

image.png.ef29e019317d3d26972e9b266f333f3b.png

I reset to vulkan, user.cfg again says rendererbackend = "vulkan", and the same thing as above happens.

I see that, if i put it on "opengl" ingame, that the user.cfg says "gl", not the thing that i entered above. But i wonder: if i place an inapplicable value in the config, then why does the game not say "Can't find a usable technique"? Because i have not provided the configuration for a valid technique, after all. But instead it simply starts.

Probably some issue with the vulkan installation (although i am quite sure to have installed all the  packages). Anyways, this is unrelated to the topic. Is there a general thread for technical problems on the forums? Did not encounter one so far ^^

However, after putting this 

2 hours ago, Stan` said:
mod.enabledmods = "mod public 0ad-spirv"
rendererbackend = "vulkan"

in here

1 hour ago, hyperion said:

local.cfg [...] move it to ~/.config/0ad/config/local.cfg

and i start the game, it shows: 

image.png.0b8686729180bdc99167a10151abac5b.png

EDIT: vulkan problem fixed for me.

Edited by sternstaub

9 hours ago, sternstaub said:

Are you sure it's not "spirv"?

Yes I'm sure.

See https://trac.wildfiregames.com/browser/ps/trunk/binaries/data/config/default.cfg#L121

The DropDown Menu is empty now:

That's because "spirv" is not a valid option

EDIT: vulkan problem fixed for me.

Can you clarify?

Anyways, this is unrelated to the topic. Is there a general thread for technical problems on the forums? Did not encounter one so far ^^

There is none we prefer to handle issues separately preferably as tickets on Trac.