How far has 0ad come?

ZeZar

The problem arises when dedicated members have real-life issues that take them away from making progress on the game. Our recruitment efforts lately have been fruitless as well. Sorry to rant here, but whenever we admit a few new promising members, they never seem to pull through for us. We've had the same three principle artists almost since the project went into development phase (Wijit, CheeZy, and I). We've had some great supporting artists here and there (DNAS, Irish_Stag, Brownboot, Keough, especially!), but we have a big problem with retention when we "hire" new people and they seem to drop off the face of the internets.

Not to seem condescending, but when I join a project of this magnitude it's for the long haul. I don't understand the attitude of joining a project and then dropping out immediately. A commitment is a commitment. You could say, "Oh, we're just kids, give us a break!" but many of our dedicated members joined the team in their early teens and have stuck with us until their late teens (present day). It's not about age, but maturity. If you can't hack it in a part time project like this, don't even dream of going into the gaming industry with its 50-60 hour work weeks. You. Will. Not. Make. It.

I apologize if I am venting. But we would have been to Beta by now if a few of the promising members we've hired had stuck with us. I mean, to join this team you go through a semi-rigorous interview and evaluation process. Even before you are admitted to the team, you should have a relatively good idea what this all entails and what kind of commitment is involved.

Alright. Done. :shrug:

Edited by Mythos_Ruler

I guess Mythos is right. I know, for personal experience, that many people want to have their cake and eat it. They don't measure their impulse. One day they are thrilled to be part of a big project, the next day they go 'After all, it's not that interesting' and they never show up again.

As for myself, I wish I knew something about programming and texturing, because I'd love to participate in something like this... and I've grown enough to know what I can handle and what are my limitations.

Good work and good luck for the project! :shrug:

• 3 weeks later...
Is it safe to say the project timeline has slipped then?

I know I irk people for pointing this out, but some of us are going on 4 years of patience here...

Summer '07 maybe?

That's probably safe to say (though it's probably safe to say the same for a large proportion of all software projects ever developed, and at least we haven't gone over budget B)) - we're still making progress, but there's still much left to do before it could be called finished.

For me personally, I've already got a lot out of working on this project and with these people, so I think I have a different perspective to that of 'outsiders' who will only get any value from the project when it has released something - I occasionally have to remind myself that the destination is as important as the journey :shrug:

Well not to continue to pummel the proverbial dead horse - But I think there are lots of people that are not you know - 3D artists, scripters, etc. that have a desire to see this thing happen - want to help out as many ways as possible in the interest of starting to see this thing come to life - I've come very close to donating money on many occasions - but I guess without the sense of urgancy or any kind of early game play vid or any kind of 'marketing' to gain inertia - understand this is coming from a 42 year man from the IT/Game Hosting/Large Scale Game Testing world (as a fan not in any official capacity) - I don't really see enough 'spark' to justify it.

The concept of the game is killer - and at one point I actually thought that Rise and Fall would be the next big thing - and it bombed - so now I have hopes for this game...but maybe I am just in love with the concept more then anything.

I think your fans all have good intentions - we maybe just feel like this project is dragging on and on - which as you say is OK for you...maybe not so OK for potential donors?

:shrug:

(runs away and ducks)

ROTWK just shipped so there is always that until next summer... B)

No reason to run away B) We always need a little spur to our sides, it is plays one small part in what keeps us going.

A few of the team members have been toying with some alternate distribution and developmental plans that might get an earlier form of the game into the hands of the players faster. We'll see how things look in the spring, but I was just playing the game last night and I am quite proud about how much like a 'game' it really feels like now vs. something that just makes pretty screenshots or shows off some programming tricks. Things are coming together :shrug:, with the help of the community (based on one of the proposed new plans), it might come together faster.

Well, just to be devil's advocate - most of our donors and potential donors are people in our own team. Its like we pay money to make this free game for you B). I'm actually gonna drop about $100 soon, as soon as I open up a paypal.

But no trust us, we all know exactly how you feel. :shrug: Don't worry guys

Edited by CheeZy

No reason to run away :D We always need a little spur to our sides, it is plays one small part in what keeps us going.

A few of the team members have been toying with some alternate distribution and developmental plans that might get an earlier form of the game into the hands of the players faster. We'll see how things look in the spring, but I was just playing the game last night and I am quite proud about how much like a 'game' it really feels like now vs. something that just makes pretty screenshots or shows off some programming tricks. Things are coming together ;), with the help of the community (based on one of the proposed new plans), it might come together faster.

Hey, I'll pay for the game - probably like 4 copies - should you decide to charge money for it - heck I'll upgrade my FIOS to business class FIOS just to host a multiplayer server if it comes to that...

There is always Open Sourcing the game too - but I understand if you don't want to lose your proprietary engine to open sourcing....

There is always Open Sourcing the game too - but I understand if you don't want to lose your proprietary engine to open sourcing....

Well, as discussed before, it's not just that the engine is proprietary. In fact so many different people have contributed to the engine over the years that it would be quite complicated to use it for a non-free game (we'd have to find everyone, get them to agree to some share of profits, etc). A bigger concern is cheating in multiplayer. There just isn't any good way to detect and prevent cheating when you're handing someone the source for the game. Without cheat prevention the multiplayer community will suffer - there are always people who try to ruin others' games by cheating. It may be possible to open-source non-multiplayer code though.

Such community based projects are always going to take time, especially when the people working on the game are actually becoming experts in their prospective fields, not to mention people working on the projects also have a life ;) (except for Cheezy).

My only dream is to play the game, see it released and see how the gaming world appreciates such a project, even if it releases in 2010. Just knowing, even when being an outsider, of how this all started and how this is going to end, take all the time you guys want Jason.