Gameplay - I cannot win...

TerryF

If this is in the wrong area - I apologise, please redirect me to the correct place.

Ive been playing games like Cossacks for years and won, I cannot however get anywhere with 0ad.

I have tried 30 mins peacetime but in this time I cannot expand outside my boundaries, run short of resources, cannot build troops whereas the opponent spreads all over the map and outnumbers me in troops.

I tried the Acropolis map and get started with basic 5 women collecting food, 5 workers each on wood, stone and iron.

I build 5 houses, a farmstead with a field and a storehouse then I fall short of resources and it goes downhill from there...

The secret is your economy and the fastest way to build it.  The method is referred to as 'booming' and this video in my opinion gives a fairly straight forward way of doing it. There are many variations shared by the members of this forum some are civilization specific.

Notice the video is is 17 minutes long and ValihrAnt already is in phase  3 and already has enough soldiers to defend himself or attack the enemy.  In fairness you may have to slow down the video to keep up with what he is doing, but basically you need a lot of woodcutters and farmers with the appropriate gathering upgrades before you can even consider starting your mining, but you will be amazed at how fast you can get there with the right build order.  Once you have the troops and a strong economy you will find the AI is quite foolish and can be beaten fairly easily.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TerryF said:

I tried the Acropolis map and get started with basic 5 women collecting food, 5 workers each on wood, stone and iron.

So you caught that different units have differing gather rates?

Apart from @Old Roman's reply, you can lower the difficulty of the AI and slow the playing speed; that should help getting into it.

gl,hf!

Well - i'm frustrated. I had more people  in my team than the computer AI (easy) and three civic centres. Persian.

I harvested load sof food through the coral and thought I had a great army to defend myself.

I had archers in the fortress and in the towers. a good 20-30.

Then after 30 mins they came.... Two blooming elephants that were indestructable by any means yet they walked through my whole colony in less than ten minutes.

I have played for hours at this and have concluded it is not possible to defend.

The opponent AI (Easy balanced) seems to have no corals yet they have loads of food and wood.

My elephants die as soon as a warrior looks at it yet theirs is a Mike Tyson of beasts and a whole army does not even bruise its ego.

Is there any way I can save my game afterwards and post the game somewhere so someone can tell me where I am going wrong?

I don't understand all the numbers in the charts in a lot of cases but I know I have loads of wood and meatal and stone.

Is there also a tutorial letting me know the benefits of markets. Are the resources on the board available globally to the other Civic group.

And finally what in earth is the econimis model.....

Oh I am so frustrated - its about 15-nil to them at the moment!

Terry

I don't play with corals; yes, they multiply your food, but I feel the investment is slowing me down.

When I encounter eles, I select my ranged horses and they go down. Can't say what your problem is.

Your games are automatically saved as a replay; load one up and I'll have a look at it. The replays only work if you don't interrupt your game; else you have multiple parts and I don't think you can merge them. Here's how you can find them: https://trac.wildfiregames.com/wiki/GameDataPaths

On 16/01/2023 at 3:48 PM, TerryF said:

If this is in the wrong area - I apologise, please redirect me to the correct place.

Ive been playing games like Cossacks for years and won, I cannot however get anywhere with 0ad.

I have tried 30 mins peacetime but in this time I cannot expand outside my boundaries, run short of resources, cannot build troops whereas the opponent spreads all over the map and outnumbers me in troops.

I build 5 houses, a farmstead with a field and a storehouse then I fall short of resources and it goes downhill from there...

Why do you collect stone and metal early on? Wood and food are much more important in the beginning. Plus, you need much more collectors than 20

20 hours ago, TerryF said:

Well - i'm frustrated. I had more people  in my team than the computer AI (easy) and three civic centres. Persian.

I harvested load sof food through the coral and thought I had a great army to defend myself.

I had archers in the fortress and in the towers. a good 20-30.

Then after 30 mins they came.... Two blooming elephants that were indestructable by any means yet they walked through my whole colony in less than ten minutes.

I have played for hours at this and have concluded it is not possible to defend.

The opponent AI (Easy balanced) seems to have no corals yet they have loads of food and wood.

My elephants die as soon as a warrior looks at it yet theirs is a Mike Tyson of beasts and a whole army does not even bruise its ego.

Is there any way I can save my game afterwards and post the game somewhere so someone can tell me where I am going wrong?

I don't understand all the numbers in the charts in a lot of cases but I know I have loads of wood and meatal and stone.

Is there also a tutorial letting me know the benefits of markets. Are the resources on the board available globally to the other Civic group.

And finally what in earth is the econimis model.....

Oh I am so frustrated - its about 15-nil to them at the moment!

Terry

Sounds like you’re garrisoning all your units into defensive structures. Don’t do that. Do eco with them. And the fight with them when enemies comes (they’re stronger outside structures but obviously more vulnerable)

@TerryF first, try "booming" with only women and soldiers gathering food and wood only. Any new units you train should also go on food and wood. The main thing is to gather the resources you need (food and wood only for the first 10 or so minutes), and immediately spend those resources to get more units gathering. Get upgrades or additional barracks if you have excess wood.

If you find that you have 1000 or 2000 food or wood, it probably means you are not spending it appropriately. You should avoid having to "save up" resources for something.

Don't move to get stone or metal until you need absolutely need it.

You can practice by yourself without any AI once or twice, and if you can manage to get to 200 population by 15:00 minutes of game time, this is a great start.

• Like 1

On 16/01/2023 at 6:48 AM, TerryF said:

I build 5 houses, a farmstead with a field and a storehouse

At the start, you probably don't need 5 houses. This is wood you don't need to spend yet. First get units for gathering food and wood, then make houses one by one as needed.

if you can put the farmstead near berries, these are gathered much faster than farming.

• 2 weeks later...