DOS is a real thing in 0AD, someone or some code is definitely destroying hosted games in lobby

DOS is a real thing in 0AD, someone or some code is definitely destroying hosted games

To check if DOS attack is real thing and it is not game bug,

one of our 0AD player Levai hosted a game using his static ip server.

the game run extra smooth and we didn't get a DOS attack.

I assume there is someone deliberately trying to cause problems in the lobby.

We experienced close to zero lag in privately hosted game.

Edited by leopard
  • Like 1

• leopard changed the title to DOS is a real thing in 0AD, someone or some code is definitely destroying hosted games in lobby

To reduce the impact of the problem, it would be very helpful if multi-player matches could be loaded. (In case of Ddos, its possible to create an automatical savegame)

Can't 0AD investigate the code of the open source game Widelands, where all of this is possible? There are even replays from loaded matches possible

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

According to my observations there are 3 types of host crashes:

1. DDOS as questioned. The evidence is that the game never crashes, but my entire home network is disabled. My parents have no net access neither because something is downloading very large files while taking up the entire bandwidth (200Mb/s)!

2. STUN error. I often experience this. Sometimes turning on TLS encryption helps, other times turning it off helps. It's especially strange when I couldn't connect to a host because of STUN error, then after a few seconds or after a restart of the game, I could connect. Sometimes I get kicked out of a game by STUN; I knew that it was not a network issue because I was downloading something slowly in the background.

3. Host is in a bad environment: they might be running 0ad on windows where they can only use 4GB of ram -> crashes if there is a large fight. Or, they might have unstable network connection themselves or lives very far away from all other players.

Bad connectivity / processing power will lead to missing turns, hence OOS.

number 2 is affecting me the most right now. I'm not sure how STUN works but I often get disconnected due to STUN error.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 08/01/2023 at 9:13 PM, Stan` said:

There is now a patch for multiplayer saved games. It hasn't been reviewed yet because no one is available to do it.

[Differential] D4770 Multiplayer saved games (wildfiregames.com)

How can we test differential patches like this? I'm not sure which file I should download and how to enable them.