Community Activity - 0 A.D. Emotion Icons

Wijitmaker

I have a project for you guys. Some of you may have noticed our lonely :banana: and :drunk: icons (roman and celt). Well, they need some friend!

I am looking for someone or a group of you to make the following emote icons:

Persian

Greek

Carthaginian

Iberian

Rules:

1) You have to use the IPB smily as a base: :);):woot:;):blush: (you get the idea)

2) Head and helmet only.. no arms, no weapons

3) No resizing of the round head

4) Must be a .gif image

5) As historically recognizable as possible

6) Front view

7) No members of WFG allowed to participate directly

You can have as many submissions as you want, just post them up here. WFG members will choose the top 4 and then the forum community will vote (from the chose 4) for the winning icon in each of the four catagories.

Winner will be immortalized on the forum and be posted in the news.

You have until November 15th to make your submission. Good luck!

I retain the right to modify the rules as needed (if needed) till the due date.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I want to remember all of you that Lusitanians were not part of the Iberian tribes

I notice you're from Portugal -- if you could translate something about Iberian (or Lusitanian) culture, weaponry, or anything and PM it to me, I'll cry in joy.

Oh, btw. :shrug: Your icon does a bit, but I like the Viriato one.

Edited by Titus Ultor

OK then, I've remade Greta. Are these better?

guerreiro2.gif

guerreiro3.gif

guerreiro4.gif

guerreiro5.gif

...and I've made this lousy greek too:

grego.gif

About the Lusitanians/Iberians, it is important to know that Lusitanian and Iberian cultures were completely different, and so was their language. Lusitanians (as a Celtic people) spoke a Celtic language, Iberians spoke one of their own, which badly resembles Basque. Unfortunately, those languages eventually become extinct because of Roman occupation, and there is very few information about them.

As you may know, modern Portuguese and modern Spanish are latin languages, and there's not one single track of the ancient Lusitanian and Iberian languages.

There are some studies about this on the internet. You can visit this page about Iberian languages. Extract from the "Short Introduction to the Iberian Language" page:

There's data about the meaning and function of some other "words". The most worth noting are the following: determiners seem to be ban ("this"?) and ir'-; iltir' and iltur have a meaning similar to "town"; ar's something similar to "castle"/"fortress"; seltar is the name of the tomb monument or simply "stela"; s'alir a monetary and / or weight unity; abiner is equivalent to "slave" in a bilingual inscription; baikar appears on ritual containers for libations. Some other words could be added to this brief list, but with a more imprecise interpretation.

I'm sorry I can't help you further.

Edited by Undo

I have always found very interesting how people (I don't mean you) seem to interpret a few similarities between Iberian language and Euskara as proof of their descent from the same linguistic family, when they could very well be loanwords. :shrug:

One question, wouldn't the linguistic features of Celtiberian also apply to "Ancient Lusitanian"? Or is Lusitanian "Celtic language" different from that spoken in Galicia, Asturias... and different areas of central Iberia?

Edited by NaurwenT