So what will be customizeable?

Zeeky_Bombard

I can imagine there will be standard stuff like texture detail and screen resolution, but will we also have persistant corpses, water reflections and that sort of cool stuff?

Do you also have some totally unique ideas you're willing to tell us about?

So... I guess you can suggest stuff that you want to be customizeable...

EDIT: I just though of another thing! An option on whether, when attacked, you want cit. soldiers to keep working or join the fight, or if you want them to keep working, to just work or to flee if they themselves are attacked.

Edited by Zeeky_Bombard

The units are just a skeleton overlaid with a texture with a variety of pieces of equipment propped to them. With just a few clicks, the apparance and equipment of a unit can be altered dramatically, or even completely.

I liked the Conquer the World-type gameplay. I believe TLA is planning on working on something to that extent (same engine, so you'll be able to simply use the coding/modding from that), if I recall correctly. Hopefully they'll notice this and correct me if I'm mistaken.

The units are just a skeleton overlaid with a texture with a variety of pieces of equipment propped to them. With just a few clicks, the apparance and equipment of a unit can be altered dramatically, or even completely.

Well, but someone has to create textures. And if I plan to create medieval mod, then simply I have to model. Why?

Medieval destrier was bigger than horses used in antiquity and equipment differed, too.

I liked the Conquer the World-type gameplay. I believe TLA is planning on working on something to that extent (same engine, so you'll be able to simply use the coding/modding from that), if I recall correctly. Hopefully they'll notice this and correct me if I'm mistaken.

So it won't be in 0AD? I would have to mod TLA?

When I was browsing their pages I got an idea that TLA will run on 0AD engine. I didn't see much screenshots there, though.

@Belisarivs: No, I'm working on a script that does that. :blush:

What Titus meant by a skeleton is that we have for example a set of "Dude" models that contain a unit's body and such. Then another file specifies which props to attach where, for example the head, helmet, weapons.

In addition, animations are separate from models, so as long as a model as the same bone structure as our standard dudes, the old animations can be reused.

This way we avoid the need to recreate a lot of our assets, and modders will have a lot of material to work with.

You'd probably end up not having to model that much. I would expect the majority of your work would be texturing and modelling small props.

Yes, we use dds. We'll provide tools to convert textures.

I'm not sure whether TLA will have Conquer the World either. It is something we thought about a little bit, and it might be added in 0AD part 2, but so far we concluded that scripted campaigns and single random maps add a lot more so we're focusing on those first. Anyway TLA and 0AD will use the same engine and it will be very easy to use a model from 0AD in TLA or vice-versa.