Temple Suggestion

Graham1

How about making Temples a neutral zone for any player (only units, not siege) where ever you are on the battle field. For an enemy unit to be healed, they will need to go inside the temple whereas allies can still heal around it or inside. To make things more interesting, the owner of the temple is able to see who is garrisoned inside and if any enemy is identified, is able to convert them to his side.

:)

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

I did not understand anything. Why does a temple in my domain have to become neutral and accept enemy units? Better let the developers write a script for the AI to start hiring healers. I wouldn't mind if the AI just hired one or two priests per temple to at least just roam around the perimeter looking for the wounded. Well, or at least one priest just stood near his temple and helped to heal.

6 hours ago, MSXML4.0parser said:

I did not understand anything. Why does a temple in my domain have to become neutral and accept enemy units? Better let the developers write a script for the AI to start hiring healers. I wouldn't mind if the AI just hired one or two priests per temple to at least just roam around the perimeter looking for the wounded. Well, or at least one priest just stood near his temple and helped to heal.

Why not? I wouldn't expect a barrack or stable to offer such a service. As the enemy, you take the chance of being healed or converted. It's just an idea.

1 hour ago, Graham1 said:

Why not? I wouldn't expect a barrack or stable to offer such a service. As the enemy, you take the chance of being healed or converted. It's just an idea.

I just don't know how to explain it logically: you come to an enemy temple and instead of poisoning you, the priests most likely treat you, undermining the influence of their own state? This, even in the Middle Ages, would have been unbelievable with their right to hide from persecution in the abbeys. And then, I'm not sure that the English abbey during the war would have received enemies from France. This is some kind of fantasy.

And I do not quite understand the applicability of religious conversion to the ancient world. Authoritative books write that the pagans did not need it, perfectly connecting their deities with foreign gods, often forming double names, such as Hermes-Thoth etc. It seems that no one accused each other of heresy. Therefore, religious conversion from one paganism to another is extremely unlikely. This was especially funny to watch in the Age of Empires. But the Age of Empires has always been a kind of grotesque in history.

Spoiler

AOE2_monkfight.jpg

Edited by MSXML4.0parser

57 minutes ago, MSXML4.0parser said:

I just don't know how to explain it logically: you come to an enemy temple and instead of poisoning you, the priests most likely treat you, undermining the influence of their own state? This, even in the Middle Ages, would have been unbelievable with their right to hide from persecution in the abbeys. And then, I'm not sure that the English abbey during the war would have received enemies from France. This is some kind of fantasy.

And I do not quite understand the applicability of religious conversion to the ancient world. Authoritative books write that the pagans did not need it, perfectly connecting their deities with foreign gods, often forming double names, such as Hermes-Thoth etc. It seems that no one accused each other of heresy. Therefore, religious conversion from one paganism to another is extremely unlikely. This was especially funny to watch in the Age of Empires. But the Age of Empires has always been a kind of grotesque in history.

Reveal hidden contents

AOE2_monkfight.jpg

You don't need to, it's just a game :). If you want to be historically correct, I've no idea what went on during those times. It was just a gameplay suggestion.

26 minutes ago, Graham1 said:

If you want to be historically correct, I've no idea what went on during those times.

So stated by the developers themselves.;)

We put a strong emphasis on historical accuracy while developing 0 A.D. We plan all our units and all our buildings based on reconstructions of how the units and the buildings might have looked like in the ancient world. We even name them in the original languages, such as Greek and Latin. But it’s worth remembering that any game should be fun to play, so, in many cases, we preferred playability over historical accuracy.

lTjIT27.png

12 hours ago, Graham1 said:

How about making Temples a neutral zone for any player (only units, not siege) where ever you are on the battle field. For an enemy unit to be healed, they will need to go inside the temple whereas allies can still heal around it or inside. To make things more interesting, the owner of the temple is able to see who is garrisoned inside and if any enemy is identified, is able to convert them to his side.

My question is why would an enemy put his troops into you Temple when there is a real risk of you stealing (converting) his troops? :) 

45 minutes ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

My question is why would an enemy put his troops into you Temple when there is a real risk of you stealing (converting) his troops? :) 

Say I was attacking the enemy (far from my base) and some of my units were very low on health, rather than let them get slaughtered, there is a chance I could drop them into a temple and regain some health. With all the action going on, it is likely that this could be done without the other person knowing as they (and yourself) would be concentrating on the action in a certain area. If you were to convert them, they would have the same health (not fully healed). The conversion could be over time (say 30 secs) rather than instant.

41 minutes ago, Graham1 said:

far from my base

Perhaps then it would be better to hire a group of priests who would follow behind the warriors? Because the proposed option with access to enemy temples is more like an exploit rather than a useful feature. In fact, this turns the temple into a kind of Medivac Dropship from StraCraft 2. And with a quick entry and exit from it, it will be possible to deal damage and immediately hide. And in order to stop this, you will need to demolish your own temple.

In addition, religious conversion in foreign temples will allow you to forcibly fill the enemy’s population limit with some units of little use. Therefore, this kind of mechanics is a 100% exploit.

Edited by MSXML4.0parser

8 hours ago, MSXML4.0parser said:

Perhaps then it would be better to hire a group of priests who would follow behind the warriors? Because the proposed option with access to enemy temples is more like an exploit rather than a useful feature. In fact, this turns the temple into a kind of Medivac Dropship from StraCraft 2. And with a quick entry and exit from it, it will be possible to deal damage and immediately hide. And in order to stop this, you will need to demolish your own temple.

In addition, religious conversion in foreign temples will allow you to forcibly fill the enemy’s population limit with some units of little use. Therefore, this kind of mechanics is a 100% exploit.

Tbh, I've never played with more than one priest during a game and when in trouble, usually convert a temple (with champions) when needing to restore. I wouldn't say it was an exploit but the population limit could be a problem and I'm not sure how this would work with AI.

59 minutes ago, Graham1 said:

Tbh, I've never played with more than one priest during a game and when in trouble, usually convert a temple (with champions) when needing to restore. I wouldn't say it was an exploit but the population limit could be a problem and I'm not sure how this would work with AI.

This is the whole point - in order to use enemy buildings, you need to capture them, while enemy units may already be in them and prevent these buildings from being captured.B) In addition, the game already has a field medicine technology that allows inactive units to restore health. You just need to retreat to a safe place.

Edited by MSXML4.0parser

• 1 month later...
On 24/12/2022 at 1:03 AM, Graham1 said:

I think that would work better with the shrines (map  neutral object).

WkVLYL1.thumb.png.0d7420b055aaedb1257aa3103def6602.png

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
On 11/02/2023 at 11:07 AM, Lion.Kanzen said:

I think that would work better with the shrines (map  neutral object).

That could work. Regarding converting units (enemy), a priest would need to be inside to be able to do this (convert button becomes visible). Once a priest is inside, the shrine would change in colour to that particular player and return neutral again once the priest has exited.