Vote for us

Stan`

8 hours ago, Gurken Khan said:

Done.

The game info is outdated (a25, 12 civs...), but it says "coming Dec 12, 2022"?

Fixed thanks.

3 hours ago, leopard said:

Done.

one feedback from a young dude I show the game,

they don't like the look of the game

everything looks too old for them.

I am 30 years old I have played 2d game in the past so I know 0AD is modern
but these dudes are born into 3d games.

Well it cannot be for everyone. But it's sad. Did you show them new maps or mainland?

2 hours ago, Stan` said:

Well it cannot be for everyone. But it's sad. Did you show them new maps or mainland?

I guess the issue is the UI, shiny is a major improvement, sadly it's inconsistent and incomplete as of yet.

Edit: ply0ad.com also has outdated feel

Edited by hyperion

19 hours ago, leopard said:

Only because you are older than them, still are a youngster yourself as we all are.

There is no such thing as old. President of united states is 80. A friend of mine is 95 and still paints his house every year (hence gets more done than half of the population; at least I don't repaint it every year haha).

Who cares about Indie. They only earn money by us being on their site. Money has won - again. As Apple's 60 billion quarterly profit shows.

• Like 2

Finally it's our hobby and interest that brings us here.

We have other open source projects for these fighting effects. No need to duplicate work already done. And Hyrule has quite some great effects, too. But I understand your point, you wish new generation. IMO 50 year old also is fine. Roman Senate was rather elderly too. Aragorn Arathorn's son also haha. And Elves ... oh dear hundreds of years old. Who cares about age

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, leopard said:

Done.

one feedback from a young dude I show the game,

they don't like the look of the game

Main menu backgrounds look amateur (of course, but still, it's the first impression and that impression is pretty mid). 

In-game UI (the HUD) is super old and outdated. Menus look too simple, small, and outdated. Game setup looks old and outdated.

A lot of random maps still use old assets. We keep old assets around because getting rid of them might break someone's mod = not a great impression.

A lot of bad random maps mixed in with the good ones. Time to get rid of the bad or ugly random maps and useless scenario maps. Time to fully support @maroder's efforts to improve things.

Also, perhaps we can reimplement the 'default map' UI interface under the hood, where we can select the best maps (random, skirmish, scenario) that the game setup defaults to (instead of strictly the first map on the list alphabetically). Maybe we can refine this to only occur the first few times the game is played in each of this category. After that, it defaults to top alphabetical.

Edited by wowgetoffyourcellphone
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Radagast. said:

Only because you are older than them, still are a youngster yourself as we all are.

There is no such thing as old. President of united states is 80. A friend of mine is 95 and still paints his house every year (hence gets more done than half of the population; at least I don't repaint it every year haha).

Who cares about Indie. They only earn money by us being on their site. Money has won - again. As Apple's 60 billion quarterly profit shows.

If i played 0ad with same proficiency and function as an 80 year old president posesses for accomplishing his duties/governing the country id throw my pc out of the window.
95 year old that worries about the fence being repainted every year? even tho he never knows when thats a wasted investment..hmm now id like to psychoanalyze that, prob some death denial stuff.

capitalism is the best thing that has ever happened to humanity.

beyond all that, i would agree that we should live our lives to the fullest, never retiring from it, theres plenty of time to retire after dead.
one exception id give is when having family, grandkids, etc where your leusire time, peace of mind and near century of experiences can be extremely valuable in enriching their lives, more so than you could enrich your own at an old age where all of your functional capacities are decimated and theres not much left to enrich.

Edited by vinme

23 hours ago, hyperion said:

I guess the issue is the UI, shiny is a major improvement, sadly it's inconsistent and incomplete as of yet.

Edit: ply0ad.com also has outdated feel

boonguy mod is really good for play and replays. it doesn't change the main menu but the main menu is not that bad IMO, it's just old style, which is fine.

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Main menu backgrounds look amateur (of course, but still, it's the first impression and that impression is pretty mid). 

true, some are great, most are meh.

6 hours ago, wowgetoffyourcellphone said:

Also, perhaps we can reimplement the 'default map' UI interface under the hood, where we can select the best maps (random, skirmish, scenario) that the game setup defaults to (instead of strictly the first map on the list alphabetically). Maybe we can refine this to only occur the first few times the game is played in each of this category. After that, it defaults to top alphabetical.

or maybe, just throw "default map" out of the window, because it's so annoying when you are switching/testing mods a lot.

5 hours ago, alre said:

Also functionality rules

No one would use Windows then. Sure functionality wise the UI isn't a master piece but I wouldn't call it broken.

PS: A designer told me that the first 8 seconds are the most important. Leaving the start page in that time is close to impossible on first visit. Personally I also go for functionality, that why I stick to config files.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2022 at 1:27 PM, Stan` said:

Did you show them new maps or mainland?

mainland of course, I strongly believe in a new mainland with better looking trees and grass texture and environment settings. also game UI needs to be modernized. we can get inspiration from UI of banner lord manner lord etc for example

On 01/12/2022 at 8:56 PM, leopard said:

is 0ad not 3D?

Honestly, I think 0ad has a massive edge graphically even over AOE4 with its massive budget. AOE 4 looks goofy and cartoonish, and apparently it only runs fast on the lowest settings so it looks even worse in that configuration.

I think one way to make 0ad more "modernized" would be to improve accessibility. It seems to me that players these days often just want to jump right into a playlist with matchmaking as soon as they are set up with an account and knowledge from the tutorial/tech tree.

In other words, it might be a bit of a turn-off to join the lobby and have to pick a 1v1 or host their own game.

Within the lobby, I can envision a "Ranked" quickplay button which will queue you up for a 1v1 with an opponent determined by matchmaking. I'd say this would improve accessibility and the competitive interest of the game.

These ranked games would have a standardized set of random maps (maybe feldmap incorporated into main game), a particular map size, population cap, and starting res.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, real_tabasco_sauce said:

is 0ad not 3D?

Honestly, I think 0ad has a massive edge graphically even over AOE4 with its massive budget. AOE 4 looks goofy and cartoonish, and apparently it only runs fast on the lowest settings so it looks even worse in that configuration.

I think one way to make 0ad more "modernized" would be to improve accessibility. It seems to me that players these days often just want to jump right into a playlist with matchmaking as soon as they are set up with an account and knowledge from the tutorial/tech tree.

In other words, it might be a bit of a turn-off to join the lobby and have to pick a 1v1 or host their own game.

Within the lobby, I can envision a "Ranked" quickplay button which will queue you up for a 1v1 with an opponent determined by matchmaking. I'd say this would improve accessibility and the competitive interest of the game.

These ranked games would have a standardized set of random maps (maybe feldmap incorporated into main game), a particular map size, population cap, and starting res.

i completely agree, recently bought AOE4 for $45 or so and instantly regretted. It's just too realistics doesn't feel more like an rpg. I bet 0ad is way better as compared to AOE4 from my POV. Faster and competitive games, requires smart approaches and fast thinking to overcome opponents, that's what RPG is all about. In AOE you cant use a scout to gather food, women can take forever to gather etc. The only best thing about AOE4 is their graphics. If we are to compare 0ad with AOE4 headon, i definitely would say 0ad stands out.

About time people should get to know 0AD :)

#0adtotheworld

Edited by rossenburg
  • Like 4

48 minutes ago, JC (naval supremacist) said:

0AD stagnates since a while even if undeniable improvements 

are you doctor organs, you look like a small boy. it only takes some money to pay our developers so that they can work on this full time then 0AD will be finished product.

or a lot of C++ developers find 0AD and fix all lag and stuff.

Edited by leopard
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...