niektb

According to these sites, the longhouses didn't serve as forts / castles but as living houses:

http://www.danishnet.com/info.php/vikings/longhouse-148.html

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/longhouse.htm

That horned viking helmet is pure fiction.

I personally like the Berserkers wearing a hide as armor and wielding a strong two-handed weapon most. (A bit like Rome: Total War)

Of course do we include the longboat. It is already going to be implemented as a mobile dropsite. I fear that the longboat will become to powerful, If we'll make it a training entity as well.

Just spamming some ideas:

To make it a less settled faction we could start with only one or two longhouses (perhaps a dropsite as well), in which you can create female citizens and one type of a citizen-soldier. By building a chief's house you can get a stronger building which serves as CC, (but is only build-able in the 2nd phase?) This makes the Vikings vulnerable in the early game, but once survived that part, Vikings will become the ultimate raiding&trading faction with longboats used as mobile dropsites, trading bonuses and the soldiers being swift and have some additional damage vs. buildings.

The horned helmet is certainly not fiction. The gauls and Iberians were the first to use it. Early Vikings did have as well. And this can be testified to archaeological evidence and depictions on various gold coins and Byzantine artifacts. It was not widly used however which is why I said "other varieties" in my post.

In my opinion I think we should stick to the standard masked helm. As the horned variety is ancient fashion rather than Medieval.

Furthermore, we should not disregard giving longboats the ability to train units until this is tested for balance purposes. In my opinion it should be if we limit the max amount of units that be trained via the ship, say 10 units to each boat? Should be ok.

Edited by Romulous

I believe you have to decide once and for all whether you want a faction that depict the raiding Vikings only or a faction that depict all the late Antiquity/Middle Age Scandinavian peoples too.

As this mod (part 1) is going from the fall of the Western Roman Empire till the founding of the Holy Roman Empire is it best suited to mainly depict the raiding vikings.

Viking Hunter

renamed from bowman to hunter as it better suits the function of the bow.

Type: Citizen-soldier, ranged infantry, bowman.

Skills: swift, lower gathering rate with the exception of the hunting rate which is higher.

References:

archery_big.jpg

Vikingurme%C3%B0boga.jpg

archer.jpg

regarding longboats: Well, we could try making the longboat a trainable entity, but I suggest limiting the amount of types instead of the amount of units.

Edited by niektb

Huscarls

Type: Champion-soldier, melee infantry, two-handed axeman.

Skills: heavily armored.

Being the elite units of their time, they served as bodyguards to lords and kings. They wielded superior equipment and had an excellent training. I suggest making them wear their shield at their back and carry a two-handed axe.

References:

Saxon_Huscarl.jpgmalhuin_1327592077_huscarl_concept.jpg

Varego.jpg

(Although being a varangian guard, I think that the left perfectly fits the style, with the exception of the axe)

Berserker

Type: champion-soldier, melee infantry, one-handed spearman wielding a rough dark (brown?) shield.

skills: low armor / hitpoints, strong attack, swift.

Especially known for their berserkergang, they worked themselves into rage before battle and consumed drugged food and the berserkers were used as shock troops. These Odin's men, as they also were called, had a habit of wearing a pelt as armor. Being lawless madmen they were feared by the whole community and outlawed in the 11th century by King Erik.

Ulfhedinn3.jpg220px-Bronspl%C3%A5t_pressbleck_%C3%B6la

They are a bit like the Gaul's Naked Fanatic with the exception of wearing a shield and pelt.

Edited by niektb

So far, so good. The land units are finished in the proposal, the modeling and (re)texturing can begin. Next step in the proposal will be the buildings.

But first I want to discuss the viking gameplay (I do it now because buildings take a vital role in it).

As one might recall I had already posted some ideas:

Just spamming some ideas:

To make it a less settled faction we could start with only one or two longhouses (perhaps a dropsite as well), in which you can create female citizens and one type of a citizen-soldier. By building a chief's house you can get a stronger building which serves as CC, (but is only build-able in the 2nd phase?) This makes the Vikings vulnerable in the early game, but once survived that part, Vikings will become the ultimate raiding&trading faction with longboats used as mobile dropsites, trading bonuses and the soldiers being swift and have some additional damage vs. buildings.

What I'm actually saying here is that Longhouses are more important as you can train female citizens and one basic type of viking warriors.

CC's will actually not exist, the Chief's House would look like it, but shouldn't be exactly the same (or should it?). Does somebody has a good idea on how to fit the Longhouse and the Chief's House into the game?

Edited by niektb

This is my opinion on how we should differentiate the gameplay for vikings:

Vikings start with a Longhouse instead of a Civic Centre.

The Longhouse is a dropsite for food and wood only, features a small ranged attack and is able to create female citizen + standard axeman. Furthermore the longhouse is more expensive than a normal house (which isn't available to Vikings), more units are able to garrison and a larger pop cap bonus. In the 2nd phase the Chief's House (or Town Hall, hasn't decided yet which is the best name) comes available which is a full size CC with all skills from a normal CC.

Regarding to the longboat: This one functions as a mobile dropsite, boosts looting in the area around him and is able to train a few types of units. (what amount and which types?)

Any comments, suggestions?

This is my opinion on how we should differentiate the gameplay for vikings:

Vikings start with a Longhouse instead of a Civic Centre.

The Longhouse is a dropsite for food and wood only, features a small ranged attack and is able to create female citizen + standard axeman. Furthermore the longhouse is more expensive than a normal house (which isn't available to Vikings), more units are able to garrison and a larger pop cap bonus. In the 2nd phase the Chief's House (or Town Hall, hasn't decided yet which is the best name) comes available which is a full size CC with all skills from a normal CC.

Regarding to the longboat: This one functions as a mobile dropsite, boosts looting in the area around him and is able to train a few types of units. (what amount and which types?)

Any comments, suggestions?

Maybe a mobile unit like a cart, like aom

Since vikings were merchants, and pillagers but that was not their main occupations, it would be nice to developp their nomadic instincts. So even if there'is a long house in the main territory having a cart to store temporary ressources would be nice. If the cart get destroyed a treasure appears,

Basically they are not very nomadic so a settled base is best. Travellers they were though, but mainly over water and that's reflected in the longboat, which is a mobile dropsite and is able to train some units.

However the idea of starting with some kind of cart would fit in nomadic tribes (arabs or so)

Longhouse

type: house, building

specials: trains female citizen + axeman, resource dropsite for food and wood, additional garrison slots, small ranged attack, additional pop cap bonus, more expensive, build-limit.

"Throughout the Norse lands, people lived in longhouses (langhús), which were typically 5 to 7 meters wide (16 to 23 feet) and anywhere from 15 to 75 meters long (50 to 250 feet), depending on the wealth and social position of the owner. In much of the Norse region, the longhouses were built around wooden frames on simple stone footings. Walls were constructed of planks, of logs, or of wattle and daub."

http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/daily_living/text/longhouse.htm

References:

oct%2018%20viking%20longhouse%202.JPG

St%C3%B6ng_Viking_Longhouse.jpg

wip___viking_longhouse_by_wraithdouser-d

15374021img_0601.jpg