RANDOM MAPS: Suggestions, Bug reports and Ideas about random maps here.

What I will do is not keep posting pics here. I found over 30 issues, at least 1 in nearly every map. I will setup a dropbox and put a link on the main forum page, so developers and others can see the issues. This will help the ( Not spamming :P )  and all will be in this folder with a note to each issue. Each issue rectified / resolved will be updated :).

You could also create a ticket on trac with the list of affected maps and the reason. It would be better as than it wont be lost on the forums after a while.

You can upload it on dropbox and I can create the ticket too, if you prefer that.

On 8/25/2018 at 2:23 AM, Trigger1982 said:

I found 1 issue here. Only 1 can gather nearest deeper river, if 2 go same time to collect it can glitch and can not gather any. Both fish need to put further into the river. This is set to Giant map

IMO this is a path finding and unit AI problem. That doesn't mean we shouldn't change the maps but that will not fix the underlying problem.

• Like 1

While a unit shouldnt try to gather from a resource which is inacessible (another variant of the same bug is when units try to drop off to an inaccesible dropsite), there is practically no reason to place them as a gatherable item by a map script.

The pathfinding/unitAI bug can be fixed as soon as wraittis pathfinding patch gets in, or when the appropriate code is split from the hierarchical pathfinder’s makegoalreachable() function.

Edited by Guest

• 10 months later...

Risk type.

For example this is Europe (WWII)

At the begining of the game the host will choose the game modes. Then every player will be randomly assigned cities (bases). Choose one of these cities to make units at and conquer adjacent cities to increase your income. The objective of the game is world domination.

This is a fast paced map where the goal is to conquer the world. There's only one obstacle: 11 other players trying to do the exact same thing. Conquer regions for bonuses, and secure entire continents for additional bonuses. This map combines many of the best elements of Risk maps before it as well as some concepts from the classic board game. This game requires diplomacy and deception, careful calculations, and micro and macro skills to even survive. The best part? After playing a game on the lagless official hostbots which allow players from all battle.net realms to connect to one another, visit the Official Website to view your stats from any game, see where you rank compared to others, and view replays from any official game hosted.

Risk Devolution/Risk Next Gen Europe takes the infamous Europe terrain made by Goble-R1sk and turns it into an insanely strategic and fast paced game. This is similar to older versions of Risk Devolution except it is more fast paced and has more options. It also runs much more smoothly and is now ranked at risknextgen.com.

All the old features of devo reborn remain except the engine has been completely rebuilt from the ground up and there are subtle differences to encourage professional gameplay. It plays like a more fast paced, polished and fun Risk Devolution with new features that enable entirely different game play. You can even choose between classic Risk Revolution and Risk Next Gen units now! Enjoy seamless gameplay on Risk Next Gen and now on Risk Devolution as you work your way toward the best risk player of all time!

Edited by Lion.Kanzen
  • Like 2

• 10 months later...

I am an utter newbie in the game and also map making. I wanted to try and make a map of 3 vs 1. However there are lots of issues that I am facing with regards to the terrain (unable to build docks in certain coastlines). It would really great if someone tried my map and either edit or suggest something.

Map Link

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/181k-jX3FkoSEEFLi-Enkgw4ITyqKXfkb?usp=sharing

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Here's a random map I made today...

14 minutes ago, andy5995 said:

I made a random map from the the Cliffs of Carnage skirmish map. It supports all the different biomes. The map will be included with the next cm2 release (that will be v0.25.12).

Players start as nomads (whether or not the option is checked). That's because I don't know how to write the code that would make sure players start with a cc and base on the cliffs based on teams.

But they get 16 more women than usual to help speed up initial build time.

screenshot0002.png

screenshot0003.png

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if there's already code or a function that does something similar, but here is some code that randomizes the heights over the entire map when its generated:

g_Map.log("Generating random heights");
for (let i = 0; i < 100; i++)
{
	let centerPosition = new Vector2D(
		randIntInclusive (mapBounds.left, mapBounds.right),
		randIntInclusive (mapBounds.top, mapBounds.bottom)
		);
	let size = randFloat(1, 16);
	let coherence = randFloat(0.35, 0.85); // How much the radius of the clump varies (1 = circle, 0 = very random).
	let smoothness = randFloat(0.1, 1); // How smooth the border of the clump is (1 = few "peaks", 0 = very jagged).
	let height = randFloat(-12.0, 40);
	let blendRadius = randFloat(10, 16);

createArea(
		new ClumpPlacer(diskArea(size), coherence, smoothness , Infinity, centerPosition),
		new SmoothElevationPainter(ELEVATION_MODIFY, height , blendRadius));
}

var playerBaseRadius = defaultPlayerBaseRadius() / (isNomad() ? 1.5 : 1);
g_Map.log("Flatten the initial CC area");
for (let position of playerPosition)
{
	createArea(
		new ClumpPlacer(diskArea(playerBaseRadius * 1.6), 0.85, 0.45, Infinity, position),
		new SmoothElevationPainter(ELEVATION_SET, heightLand, 12));
}

The entire (unfinished) map code is at https://github.com/0ad-matters/community-maps-2/pull/41/files

screenshot0024.png

screenshot0025.png

screenshot0026.png

4 hours ago, andy5995 said:

I don't know if there's already code or a function that does something similar, but here is some code that randomizes the heights over the entire map when its generated:

See e.g.

https://github.com/0ad/0ad/blob/master/binaries/data/mods/public/maps/random/ardennes_forest.js#L288

or also this:

https://github.com/0ad/0ad/blob/f314b5b9d2be852a4d25f4b9ef40ab4acf4f2002/binaries/data/mods/public/maps/random/rmgen/painter/RandomElevationPainter.js#L10

Edited by maroder
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I would be like to be able to pick the biome for random maps I generate in the scenario editor. It seems that, unless the biome is already pre-specified for the map, all of the maps I generate have a temperate or alpine biome, which I presume is the default. Maybe this could be implemented in the next update or so?

57 minutes ago, Tyrannosaurus said:

I would be like to be able to pick the biome for random maps I generate in the scenario editor. It seems that, unless the biome is already pre-specified for the map, all of the maps I generate have a temperate or alpine biome, which I presume is the default. Maybe this could be implemented in the next update or so?

@Tyrannosauruswhat you can do in the meantime...

Make sure atlas is closed.

Copy (from the 0ad data distribution archive or svn repo) `binaries/data/mods/public/maps/random/rmbiome/randombiome.js`

into this directory (On Linux):

`$HOME/.local/share/0ad/mods/user/maps/random/rmbiome` (make the directory if it doesn't exist)

(On Windows):

`C:\Users\{name_of_user}\Documents\My Games\0ad\mods\user/maps/random/rmbiome`

(On OSX):

/Library/Application Support/0ad/mods/user/maps/random/rmbiome

Open the file and near the top, you'll see a section that looks like

function setSelectedBiome()
{
    // TODO: Replace ugly default for atlas by a dropdown
    setBiome(g_MapSettings.Biome || "generic/alpine");
}

You can change "alpine" to something from this directory `binaries/data/mods/public/maps/random/rmbiome/generic/`

After that, when you generate most random maps in Atlas, it will have the biome you've set.

Does anyone know if there's an existing ticket for what's mentioned in the 'TODO' line up there? @Stan`@Freagarach

Edited by andy5995
  • Thanks 1

On 24/08/2022 at 10:36 PM, Tyrannosaurus said:

Thanks, @andy5995

Speaking of biomes, I'm trying my hand at creating new ones for the random map generator. This one is for a "Congo" biome that is tropical like the India biome, but with African instead of Asian wildlife.

@TyrannosaurusCool! When you're ready feel free to submit a pull request to the community maps repo if you'd like it added to the mod.

I'd suggest starting a separate thread for your biome so it can get discussed more efficiently.

Edited by andy5995
  • Like 1