0 A.D. Testing: Questions?

Morgan

Actually, I don't think they've changed all that much - in terms of graphics we still don't require any features that aren't available on GeForce 3 (with the only exception being that the shiny water is limited to GF6/7 (I think)); and performance is acceptable for me on a 128MB GF4 even with self-shadowing enabled (which seems to really hurt performance on GF4s in any game), though we still haven't spent much time optimising our graphics code. The suggested CPU and RAM in the FAQ may be further off if you want the game to play smoothly, but it's impossible to tell with any accuracy until we've got the game feature-complete and optimised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there are no more questions, I'll go ahead and close this topic, and ready the FAQs document for publication.

Any more questions? Last call.

Any news on this? Its been 3 months and no questions have been posted in 2 weeks. Or has it already been done.

The following questions are covered in the candidacy FAQs. I've left this topic open in case there are any more.

• What is the process for applying to join the Quality Assurance team?
  • What criteria is used to select candidates for the Quality Assurance team?
  • How many people are expected to join the Quality Assurance team?
  • What are the requirements of a Quality Analyst?
  • What are the requirements of a Focus Tester?
  • What materials will be provided?
  • What training opportunities will be provided?
  • How are contributions measured?

I'm also waiting for the new job application system to launch before I post the candidacy FAQs document.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I don't think they've changed all that much - in terms of graphics we still don't require any features that aren't available on GeForce 3 (with the only exception being that the shiny water is limited to GF6/7 (I think)); and performance is acceptable for me on a 128MB GF4 even with self-shadowing enabled (which seems to really hurt performance on GF4s in any game), though we still haven't spent much time optimising our graphics code. The suggested CPU and RAM in the FAQ may be further off if you want the game to play smoothly, but it's impossible to tell with any accuracy until we've got the game feature-complete and optimised.

Not sure if asking this will help now until you are more certain. Currently I have an IBM (i.e. non-gaming video card) Intel GMA950 256Mb video card, will this help my plight much?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

There will definitely be a limit on the number of beta testers we choose to include in the process, and it is likely that those few will be chosen based on community activity and input. How soon? It's hard to say. It all depends on how quickly things go in the next few months, but I wouldn't expect it before this summer or even this coming winter.

The closed beta and internal QA will elect as many people as we have the resources and time to manage, and will slowly add more as we find need or resources for them.

We'll try and have this grow and grow until a good grip of people are playing the game, and then eventually will make it a public beta - 0ad 0.9 or the public beta will actually be the first release of the game, which we plan to polish up and fish out all the bugs in the comming months until it reaches version 1.0. The beta for us is going to be a very long phase, and a mostly internal one until the game becomes stable enough for the public. There is no bigger turn-off than buggy or unstable software.

This is a very rough plan right now and is likely to change when we are actually there. Testing and fixing bugs for this will likely be a cumbersome phase since they will be plentiful and we don't have the massive resources like a physical studio with a publisher behind it to really do this efficiently in large scale.

• 4 weeks later...

What's the chance of buying a beta ?

I don't get a lot of free time, but when I do I'd like to test it and I feel due to the limited time I can't qualify as a real tester (3-6 months of no play).

I don't want to buy M$ games (wine) and its time for me to buy my yearly game.

I'd much rather "buy" a beta from you guys (I'll take what I can get) !

(Ubuntu 64 7.10)

We're sure flattered, but the game will be free. That's been the idea all the time, and I can't see how we would go away from that perspective to sell it at a time when it's not even near being finished. Especially since that would not be fair towards those people who have been waiting for it all this time. So, sorry, but no :P

Thanks for the reply.

I didn't mean it in a bad way.

I just thought that since I'm gonna spend money on a game (What I don't know), I can rather buy/donate to this project and have a beta that I can test.

I only have time every ~ 3 - 6 months to relax, and then I'd like to play a RTS on GNU/LINUX.

I have tried AOE II under wine, but it's to slow.

Any suggestions ?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...