Life can change when exactly when you need it.

This morning, at work, I thought :

I really need some change. I need a new work. I'm bored in my bakery.

Yesterday, I was speaking with a neighbor, and I said about what I felt was Japan in my mind :

A mere map in an atlas, and a language in books

Yet, it came right tonight, i have a job offer in Ebetsu, that is, northern Japan! Mixing both thoughts. I wish I'll get the job (and it's more than probable), and moreover, I'll try to keep on sending messages from Japan if it happens.

Did such thing ever happen to you?

URESHIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII*

(*Happyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy)

It seems I would be an English teacher in a small community close to Sapporo (Ebetsu). (I know, I am French, but I'll read English grammars when doing my work, so, in the process, my English language will grow better, as will my Japanese : you know, Kids in Japan generally aren't able to speak English decently...)

What is great about that place is that it is far from Tokyo (so, cheaper) and they do not have a strong dialectal speech, as Hokkaidou (the northernmost island) was settled in recent times by people from all over Japan (the effect being the same as in Quebec... a single French even if the motherland had several languages). So, I won't learn a strong dialectal Japanese (as the (in?)famous Oosaka-Kansai-Ben). (They do have a simple dialectalization, but Quebec's French as well, so, I don't bother much being Hokkaidoish)

Most (at least some) kids would probably have some Ainu ancester. (As I probably have some native blood myself, as most Quebeckers) Most Ainu now speaks Japanese, even though some can still speak their native language.

(There's a linguistic theory that implies that probably all eastern Japan (east and north of Nagoya) might have Emishi (read Ainu) blood, as it seems that the eastern dialects of Japanese are reminiscent of Ainu language... )

I have noticed something strange about my devotion to culture. It happens to be a mere luck that I settled on Japanese culture, stemming from the fact that I was interested in the language more than any other language (except, possibly, Esperanto).

For culture in a general sense, it's funny how much my favorite music style comes mainly from middle-east. I am prone to like about everything, as long as it is Joyful :)

I've never seen a decent translator, I'm guessing we'll have to wait until we've reached a whole other generation of translators. I'm sure google's cooking something up :king:

Also clodhopper, yeah Babelfish or any other whole sentece translators I've seen doesn't take romanized Japanese. A converter would be a cakewalk, although then you're facing the problem with the fact that there's so many homonyms in Japanese, and the converter wouldn't know which words you were saying (because in speach it is only decided by context and in a minor degree intonation). The result is a translator that will just take the first meaning of every word. But Babelfish couldn't even give me a correct translation of 'nippon ha mada desu' when I entered it with Japanese characters (it gave me 'Japan still is', which is much to literal), so the converter would be useless anyway.

日本は未だです。

This is how it is written in genuine Japanese.

At least, as a consolation, I had a great experience thursday. I went to my mother's friend house, and there lives a Japanese, and there were two young Japanese visiting as well. At first, both I and them were shy, and the one who lived there (Yoshimi), couldn't believe it at first (as all Japanese I met, she kept on saying "Sugoi! Sugoi!"). And we had a susi-pâtî, I made most of the sushi :king: And then, everything went better, and we could speak at last Japanese a little :o.

• 3 weeks later...

Ciao Yiuel... today is 22... so... will you really do the trip or not? I've got a friend who lives in Japan with a japanese girl. He met her through the pen pal system and they live together since some years.

Please tell us everything about your japanese adventure... it's very interesting.

Edited by Manuel Marino