Is it done yet?

kingroy1

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm not part of the team I'll try to give you an estimated number. (note that I write here what I think is true and I think I read)

Concept Art is still being made

If I remember right 2/3 of the 6 civs have been "finished"

Editor has come a long way

Military things are working

Only Idle animations are done

Most of the flora and fauna is done

Terrain blends

Game is playable to some extent

I'd say 40-60%?

EDIT: Oh one think I'd like to say, I might not be a moderator, but could you please post in plain english, so no leet speak and sms-language? Thank you.

Edited by Acumen

Yup, aware of that :D I'd still say 20-25% tops - assuming the 50% mark is when its initially playable as an alpha, and 85% when its content complete as a beta.

There is an unsane amount of work involved in making a game - and its so much harder when everyone is spread around the globe with different times of availibilty, as well as the fact that we're not working on this 12 hours a day like professional teams. 0AD the vision has techincally been in the works for almost 5 years since the first idea of it - but its only been in production for the past year and a half or so, and there is alot still to do. Most games that are anounced are usually always anounced when they are at alpha or beta - for example Age of Empires 3 was anounced when it was asset complete (meaning the game is all finished but for testing, balancing and bug fixing) - and they still make you wait a year before you can play it. Our story is quite abit different, and its likely alot of people will become impatient with 0AD's progress because it was anounced so early. The screenshots we have now simply serve as proof of the work we've done in the past year and a half, but I can't say it represents the final game at all.

The best source to follow progess for 0AD is to check the monthly summaries, they'll tell you exactly what we're doing.

The best source to follow progess for 0AD is to check the monthly summaries

The even better source is to join us, which also has the advantage of speeding up our progress ;). (At least the intention is for it to speed up progress, which is why there's a non-trivial application process - we can't afford to waste resources on organisation and management of unproductive members... But if people have the skills and time and energy, I think we'd be happy for more help :D)

EDIT: Oh one think I'd like to say, I might not be a moderator, but could you please post in plain english, so no leet speak and sms-language?

arg! :D u guys suX0rZ! ;)

ok, ok, no more 733t talk, but i still p\/\/n, erm, i mean "own" all of you! :(

Literally everything :) That could make a nice huge article for the site one day...

But to give you an actualy answer, in my opinion the most challenging thing is simply keeping staff active, which is not up to WFG to do but up to the staff themselves. Between all the things that people have to do in their lives, school, work, other responsibilities etc - WFG falls in as something they can only do when they have spare time, and not everyone always has spare time. That is the biggest thing in the way, simply how much time we have availible to put into the project.

20-25% sounds like a good figure to me, at least if we're counting documentation, too.

The screenshots might give the impression that the game is already further ahead than it actually is, but one has to keep in mind that most of the art seen on the screenshots will have to be redone over and over, plus there's still a good part of the gameplay logic missing. For example, it currently isn't possible to construct buildings in the game, and the unit training is at a very rudimentary stage - just two example of essential RTS features that we haven't yet got in completely.

As Bobby already said, a major problem is the "management overhead" (as I like to call it): Due to the fact that we're not meeting each other in an office building every day, there's a lot of communication delays which decrease the speed at which we can make progress. An example: If I have some question regarding the networking implementation in order to write the multiplayer user interface, I need to contact Simon (our resident network programmer), but it might be that he's not available due to not having internet access or being unavailable due to real life workload - I'd have to email him and wait for a reply then (or hope to meet him at the weekly programming department meeting), and I cannot just walk over to his office and ask my question. Thus, I might have to wait a week for an answer which is crucial to my progress (and here, you'll realise, the great value of extensive documentation comes in handy, because it could save a lot of time if I can just look for the answer to my question in the documentation).

I'm currently attempting to learn C++ Programming. I'm on structures and functions right now. I'm making great progress to where I was from at the beginning of the year... 0 knowledge of Programming. By the time I round out my beginning of C++, 0AD will more than likely be finished... ;) ... well, maybe a BETA.

I've been going at C++ for about 2 - 3 months now, mastering every little bit of detail possible to keep my code nice and clean. BTW... Will 0AD's engine be opensource for us beginners? :D

:)

I havn't see anything on the site about what Operating System 0AD will run on, correct me if I'm wrong, but will it be Windows only, and if so, do you think that you would be able to produce a Libux version? Since your using OpenGL then I'm almost sure that you could at least get it running in Wine if you compilied it using Winelib.

I know that I'm getting a bit far a head, but say there was a second version, would you ever considering releasing the first under the GPL?