Would just like to say

madscientist

We actually have no way of knowing what the system requirements or the filesize of the game will be until its finished :rock: any numbers we give until then are just guestimates, and as is the case with guestimates they are often wrong.

But a good answer is that the download size will hopefully not be "too" big. I personally don't see it exceeding something that can fit on a CD.

At the current time we have no concrete plans to make the game available via CD. In the future, once we approach alpha and beta, we might investigate the possibilities, but at this juncture, ah, we got nothin'. ;)

Making use of P2P would be smart. It wouldn't use any of the WFG bandwidth and most of the time the speed is higher than a normal server which is full of users. I'd leave it uploading for weeks so people could download it faster. :D

Unless anything unexpected happens in the file-distribution world, I would imagine BitTorrent will be our primary distribution method; though we will also have to provide some web mirrors (preferably not the WFG server, since then we'd have to pay for it ;)) for people who can't use BT. Distributing CDs (and charging for them, to cover the cost of delivery to faraway countries) would be a bit trickier; for those without fast internet access, a simpler solution would be to convince a friend to download it for you and copy to CD, which also works as advertising for us :D

(But, as was said, we don't have any concrete plans - SVN is sufficient for all our distribution requirements at the moment, and we'll try to find the best solution when we're closer to the first (beta?) release.)

Its a system we use to build the game where we can upload and modify files to a central version that everyone has so that everyone on the team has the same files and is on the same page. I'd ellaborate more on it but I'm kind of paranoid for security.

I second that! The p2p idea is great, the only problem is that there is a great chance of getting a corrupt file, or a virus, since we aren't sure if it is the original version, or if something else has been added.

I think that's impossible with BitTorrent, because you only share the files which are specified in the torrent file and that one is correct...

^ Correct - bittorrent will likely be the main distribution method if we can't get any server mirrors.

@HistoryGuy, that is something we were considering but it all depends on how many people want CDs and how much resources we have to make those CDs. For now there is no final answer on that until the game is released and we're at that stage.

I think that's impossible with BitTorrent, because you only share the files which are specified in the torrent file and that one is correct...

Yes, BitTorrent makes use of hashing to ensure that the bits you end up with are not tampered with in any way, and the file you end up with is exactly the same as the original seed.

(Of course, if the original seed is corrupted or altered, that's a different story. :) Hence the probable need for a central/'official' swarm.)