0 A.D. intro questions

kingroy1

Hey! i'm new to these forums, but ive been following this game for a while now. i first heard of this game from http://ron.heavengames.com

i just have a few questions:

1. how large will this game be (file size)?

2. what will the system requirements be?

3. You'll be able to rotate and zoom, right?

4. can you implement a cheat system where i can get an Apache Helicpoter with vulcan guns and just mow everyone down?

5. will there be a population limit? and if there is, what will it be?

PS, you guys rock! this game's gunna totally pwn!!!!!

Howdy! Welcome to the community ;)

>> i first heard of this game from http://ron.heavengames.com

From the forums, I presume?

1. how large will this game be (file size)?

2. what will the system requirements be?

3. You'll be able to rotate and zoom, right?

4. can you implement a cheat system where i can get an Apache Helicpoter with vulcan guns and just mow everyone down?

5. will there be a population limit? and if there is, what will it be?

1. That's unsure at this point. We're hoping it will fit on a standard data CD (~700MB) - we'll see ;)

2. That's also unsure. We are shooting for both compatibility with older hardware as well as extended functionality (read: pretty graphical effects) on newer hardware.

3. To the best of my knowledge, yes.

4. We'll see :P

5. Someone else will have to answer this one as I'm not quite sure myself.

PS, you guys rock! this game's gunna totally pwn!!!!!

Thanks for the encouragement. ;)

To put some finiteness on Nathan's answers,

1 - At this time the estimated size (compressed) will be 300-400 MB, but the final release may be looking upwards of 600-700 MB

2 - The current estimated minimum requirements are as follows

- Windows® 2000 or greater (or Linux®)

- 1 Ghz Processor

- 256 Mb RAM

- 32 Mb Geforce3/Radeon 8500 (or equivalent)

Remember that when it comes to requirements, the more your system has, the merrier. a 2 Ghz processor and 512 MB mem wouldn't hurt at all.

3 - Yes, there will be rotation and zoom

4 - If something like that isn't available in the release, the modding capabilities of 0AD will allow you or another to create such a mod

5 - Yes, there will be a pop cap, and for the time being it's set at 150 (but may be increased if performance allows)

Being a ancient and modern combat freak, the AH-64 Apache does not have the M-61A Vulcan :P It has a single barreled 30mm chain-driven M230 cannon with a maximum rate of fire of 625 rounds per minute. Sorry couldn't resist :)

Welcome to the boards! I too am psyched for 0 AD :) As for cheats, I'm lobbying for a massive dancing Wijit :P

I'll cosponsor that lobby :)

Me too :)

As for the pop limit, we'll have to see what our engine will be able to handle in the end - with luck, it might be higher. Still, imagine - 150 units per player with 6 players will makes already 900 units, plus a lot of builings, Gaia units, resources, trees, eye-candy... you'll end up with at least 2000 units then, and it isn't exactly easy to write a graphics engine and multiplayer system that can handle such numbers. ES and other game companies didn't limit their units just because they wanted to annoy the players.

1. There is no way we can tell until the game is finished :) but it likely won't surpass 1 GB

2. Again, no way to tell until we're finished, but a midrange computer right now should be able to play the game fine. A 64MB graphics card will likely be minimum, but a 32MB one might be able to handle it as well. Again, this is only speculation.

3. Yup

4. Probably not, but you can impliment that yourself by modding the game (which will be very modder friendly)

5. Details like that we have yet to discover through playtesting, we're not quite at that stage yet.

no no no, i still want my vulcan guns....

oh yea, what about carpet bombing?

or gas chambers?

or crusifiction, where a little cross apears from nowhere and you see ur villagers on 'em?

or what about getting a cheat where a nuke drops from the sky and totally obliterates everyone on the map!

or what about, oh sorry, im getting carried away again.. my bad... :)

Edited by kingroy1

• 1 month later...