Accelerated Distance Learning

Accelerated Distance Learning is a book written by Brad Voeller who is a friend of mine. (as a matter of fact, they are staying next door as of right now.)

It is a neat method. It's claim to fame is that you can graduate from college at home in less than 6 months with it only costing 5,000 US dollars!

There is a review of it here:

http://www.homeschoolchristian.com/Reviews/Voeller.html

Pretty neat huh?

:cool:

I'm a little skeptical about this, just through reading that page. The best way to get a college degree is to, well, go to college. Anyone saying how you can get "four-year, fully accredited college degree in less than six months, for less than $5,000." to me sounds a bit fishy, like any get-rich sceme. Plus, the website doesn't seem to authoritive:

Welcome to Homeschool Christian.com. We're your source for information and support for Christian homeschoolers. Check the pull-down menus on the top of this page for home schooling information, over 20 message boards, and regularly scheduled chats to inform and encourage you as you instruct your children in the way they should go. This is an unapologetically Christian Web site to aid Christian families in giving their children a superior home education. All respectful folks are welcome.

I'll withold my opinion, but it seems that I overstayed my welcome on that page ;)

I've seen many ads for things like this. We have an official system like that in Belgium, but it takes 2 years and you don't get a real master degree.

It really depends for what college studies that is. That is totally impossible in the case of history, you can't become an academic historian in 6 months since it needs training, research, etc. What about the final thesis/paper, who can makes a decent thesis in a few months?

I'm now studying electronics/ICT and I can assure you it's also impossible in that case. Again you need a lot of training, and for that you really need a person helping you. The theory is of course possible to learn in a year, but the practice certainly isn't.

My gf is studying for interpreter/translator, and again, I can't imagine how you could learn that in 6 months. She has to learn 3 languages (dutch, spanish, german), know the ins and outs of it, speak it perfectly and have a huge vocabulary. In about 4 months she has to learn 3.000 words for German only, and that is only one course out of the 12 others she has. If you take that over a span of 4 years it's a huge amount of things to learn. How would you be able to do that in 6 months?

Anyway, sorry for sounding so negative, but I've seen enough people going to easy schools and not being happy they can't find a decent job. I'm glad I live in a country where "tricks" like this aren't allowed, though we do have schools that pretend to learn you much but leave you with nothing. But this 6-month system is the worst I've seen so far. Sure it might work for some - very smart - people and for some courses, but it certainly doesn't work for a serious quality education.

Here, in Quebec, we have small programms, but you'll never get any degree.

But I have followed a accelerated programm when I was in public school, before entering College/University. My last three years of secondary (9th 10th and 11th years) I easily (very easily) made them within 2 years. And we passed the same exam as those who followed the normal course. So, by 15, I was already in College, and I could have get at 17 to University.

I could've probably achieve all the academic stuff you learn in school here in about a rate of 2 years in one. (Hence, 6 years, instead of 11). But it would have been strange, since I would then only be 12 when I would have entered college, and 14, in Uni. This is way to bizarre, and you did not acquire the "social "need-to-know" issues"... (Strictly speaking, even though I liked (and like) school, I was always somehow bored :S)

• 3 weeks later...