Šanáh Ťōváh

Jeru

!שנה טובה

You need the Hebrew ISO-Logical character encoding to see this greeting correctly. In my own transliteration, this is rendered "Šanáh Ťōváh" - Most other people would simply render it something like "Shana Tova". It's pronounced |shah-NAH toh-VAH|, and please try to keep the vowels as pure as possible, as in Spanish. It literally means "good year".

But enough about the greeting; I thought I should tell you a little bit about the meaning of the holiday, Roš Hašanáh (Rosh Hashanah). This holiday marks the beginning of the Hebrew year, which is based on a lunisolar calendar and uses a leap month (for more about the Hebrew calendar, see Wikipedia: Hebrew Calendar). It is the beginning of the Jewish holiday season, which includes 10 days of repentence, concluding in Yom Kippur, the Jewish day of atonement.

This holiday is characterized by the blowing of the shofar, a trumpet made from a ram's horn. During the afternoon of the first day occurs the practice of tashlikh, the symbolic casting away of sins by throwing either stones or bread crumbs into the waters.

Rosh Hashanah meals often include:

- Apples and honey, to symbolize a sweet new year

- Pomegranates, to symbolize a year full of success as the pomegranate is full of seeds

- Carrots (gezer), to symbolize a year free of draconian measures (gzeirot)

- A fish's head, to symbolize fertility and success.

Happy new year!

Sinnen Akemasite!

There are a lot of new years around the world. The one North America and Europe mostly follow is the Gregorian year (which ends a few days after the Winter solstice, or Yüle). In Russia, and a few close countries, they have also a new year that differs of about 14 days. from the Gregorian one.

In Asia, I learned that the Afghan common new year was on the Spring equinoxe. In Chinese culture, it mostly happens a month after Yule (at least for the few last years). And there are more, that I cannot remember.

And you can, if you want, have your proper new year. I have mine, which usually falls 20 days before the Spring equinoxe.

Happy new year. Though in America new years day dosn't happen for another couple months. ^_^

Thank you, Uppy, but in Israel we use both the Jewish calendar and the calendar most of the rest of the world, including the USA, uses (called the Gregorian calendar). So there's no need for the heads-up :wine:

Well the Calendar of Melville is what I have called my personal calendar. Since its basis are my stories of Ie Ien, all dates are planned from there.

We are now in the year "-0009", that means, "9 years before the Foundation of Sevy".

I have counted (what a long task) the day in which we are, in a format YYYY/MM/DD

-0009/07/22

Since I don't have precise names for months (except for the Festaro [Feasts, in Esperanto], which is the fifth month), I won't give it's name. To calculate that date, I had to know the precise day on which the the Summer Solstice fell in Calgary (which holds the same time as the Melville Island, in reality) on year 2013 (which is the Genuine year to calibrate my calendar). Then I had to know the first day of the -9 year. Then, I could count, since the month are regularly distributed. The official beginning of my calendar is on February 25th 2013. This is the day 0000/00/00 in my calendar, called "[北島時代]元日 [Kitashima Jidai] Genniti ([Melvillian Era] Talon Day)" in Japanese.

We will end a Jarkvaro [Esperanto rendering of "Olympiad"], next year, since next year will be a Jarkvarjaro [Olympiadic Year] (Bissextile year) next year. This means a 366th day will be added. The "[北島時代]元年 [Kitashima Jidai] Gennen - ([Melvillian Era] Talon Year)" is also a Jarkvarjaro.

(Why did I put so much calculations in my calendar? It's because I had to link it with myself, and because it is an essential part of my story Ie Ien.)